Yotes # 17 and # 18 of the season,

bushpilotmexico

This is going to be an interesting yarn. Set the clocks ahead last night for daylight savings and really had no idea when dawn would break this morning.

Anyway I rolled out of bed at 5:30 am had a coffee and a piece of toast and loaded up the 1995 Pathfinder. I did a quick wind check with my Otrovin bottle full of baking soda....yup the weather report was right for a change and the wind was blowing gently from the south.

Driving out of town I ran a few places thru my mind where I could hunt with a south wind. Don't know why but I decided on going to the tires where last year I managed to whack around 7 song dogs in a matter of a couple of weeks.

Turned out to one of my smarter decisions and I'll explain why. Naturally with the putting the clocks ahead an hour last night it was almost pitch black when I got to my tire stand location. After I got out of the Pathfinder I managed to stumble thru the darkness the 1/4 mile until I got to the truck tires.

On the way there I decided to use the Foxpro and I set it up hanging in some brush about 75 yards in front of where I would be hiding.

Dawn was barely starting to break in the east when I finally crawled over and into the tires, the outside temperature was a frosty 31 degrees and the tires, frost covered, were as slippery as if they had been greased.

I settled in but it was too dark to do any serious shooting so I used my binos to scan the countryside. About 10 minutes into looking I saw two dark flashes cross the hillside in front of me a good 400 yards away. Knowing they were yotes I
managed to find the remote, found call # 11 (the distressed jack rabbit) and punched it in hoping the 2 coyotes that I saw would decided to come back for a look see. Still too darn dark for a decent shot but worth a try. As Mr. Foxpro was blaring away another coyote, a silver colored one, flashed in front of me on the far hillside obviously trying to catch up with his buddies. Then to my left a another coyote on the run cut in front of me, between me and the Foxpro. I think if I had instant replay it was trying to go down wind of the caller. But he hit the scent trail I had laid on the ground when I put the Foxpro out and man you should have then seen him shift into high gear. He was gone like a shot, I kept trying to track him in the scope. He finally stopped a long way out (no time to range him) I more or less found him in the cross hairs and fired a Hail Mary shot. I thought I heard the v-max hit home but it was too dark to tell.

We'll leave that yarn for now (later found out I had missed). About 15 more minutes into the jack rabbit screaming like it had turpentine on it's backside another yote appeared to my left (later ranged at 135 yards) looking for the bunny rabbit. I centered him in the cross hairs and fired and he went down.

I kept watching him thru the scope because he wasn't dead, my shot had clipped his spine and his hind legs were paralyzed. I fired another shot to try and put him out of his misery.

Then another coyote started barking on the side hill directly in front of me. I used the binos and finally found it. Estimated a couple of hundred yards and sent a 75 grain V-max it's way. I saw the bullet hit and the darn yote started to run but it didn't go far it dropped beside a large bush (ranged it later at 265 yards).

Now I'm watching the coyote in front of me obviously not going to run but still bobbing it's head up and down much to the curiosity of a large group of magpies who had settled on the ground beside it picking at what ever blood they could find.

Then I see another coyote coming towards its injured buddy and more interested in its fiend than my wailing jack rabbit. I only had a frontal shot and when I fired the dog spun around, went down then got up and took off at what looked like 100 miles an hour. I winged another shot after it just as it gained the tree line, thought I heard it hit but never found it.

Was it worth dragging my 69 year old bones out of bed this morning, you bet it was. I saw 7 yotes before 8:00 am managed to kill two and was busier than a one armed wall paper hanger.

Hard to see but the white arrow points to my tire stand.

Picture0040-2.jpg

Here is a photo of the two yotes on the hood of my Pathfinder, I love to see that blood running down the front.

Picture002-28.jpg

Picture005-32.jpg

HOM%20-%20Banner.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember the tires from some of your other stories. You've killed a bunch of coyotes from those tires and in that area. Ya gotta love those places that produce almost any time, every time. Nice going.

Did you get a nap later? lol

bushpilotmexico - great story and photos. Thanks for sharing it. Excellent motivation for those times when I just don't want to get out of bed.

Originally Posted By: sendit223bushpilotmexico - great story and photos. Thanks for sharing it. Excellent motivation for those times when I just don't want to get out of bed.

We all have those kind of days, lots of dry stands and then one morning all heck breaks loose. It's sort of like fishing and hoping for the lunker to take the bait.

I hear ya. The best way I can look at it is that I will go hunt while I can. There is a last hunt that I will take. God knows when that is...not me. So not going when I can go is like wasting .... well important stuff, that's what.

I doubt I'll forget my 8-10 year old winters when dad woke me up to go ice fishing. It was a pain getting up, but an adventure once my feet hit the floor.

Again, thanks for posting.

Great job Cliff,much like last season,you seem to be a good closer.
Last year you racked up some good numbers at seasons end from the same area i believe.
Top of the nineth,call in the releiver.

Bushpilotmexico: You definitely got a great streak go'n. Those Orion calls still pull'n em in for you? Ordered 3 myself after one of your earlier posts. Great calls - they're working great for me. Thanks again for a well written story. Keep at it.

Great reading - much better than mine! (Read "Empty Hunt Story"). Would you mind giving a little more detail on that "tire stand"? That sounds intriguing.

Originally Posted By: borkongreat story. ill bet you whacked the 3rd one to
smile.gif
but there is one thing missing....?????? anyone???

I noticed the missing *things* also. I almost didn't recognize him without em.

I must say I like it better when they are MIA. No respectable coyote hunter should be seen with such things on his paws.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: doggin coyotesOriginally Posted By: borkongreat story. ill bet you whacked the 3rd one to
smile.gif
but there is one thing missing....?????? anyone???

I noticed the missing *things* also. I almost didn't recognize him without em.

I must say I like it better when they are MIA. No respectable coyote hunter should be seen with such things on his paws.
lol.gif

Check out this photo for my blue Michael Jackson glove....it just didn't show up in the one I posted. To be honest I was actually trying to hide it in the original(look carefully)

Picture001-31.jpg

The rancher who I have permission to hunt his ranch uses the large tires to build corrals and fences. It's the ultimate recycling, The majority are absolutely huge.

WTG Bush...so many shot opportunities...I feel lucky if I get a shot all day...way to wack'm and stack'm...just curious what kind of price are you guys getting on hides up in B.C.this year?

Originally Posted By: 220smokenWTG Bush...so many shot opportunities...I feel lucky if I get a shot all day...way to wack'm and stack'm...just curious what kind of price are you guys getting on hides up in B.C.this year?

Not even worth skinning them but I never will leave a good pelt go to waste and if the hide looks good I will skin it and have it tanned and just hang it on the wall.

Just got my latest hat back from Wolfwoman in Alaska, she is a true artisan and I highly recommend her.

Picture006-28.jpg

Back