25/06 effective range

I hammered a muley doe at a shade over 5-bills with a 115 NBT out of mine a few years ago... she went down like she was struck by lightening... 3" exit.

I'd not feel undergunned on a deer out to a 1/3rd mile or so... assuming you have appropriate practice at said range.

I have been playing with the ballistics for my 257 wby and it shows 1000# of energy out to 600+ yds with just about any bullet over 100 grs so I would say 500 would be do able

My brother has killed multiple coyotes at 600 with his he was shooting 120gr sp and 75gr vmax so id say ur good on deer out at 500 easy as long as u know where ur gun shoots

I"ve used the 115g NBT's at 3200 to take quite a few muleys and whitetails from 300 to right at 600 yards. I would take it another 100 yards further if oppurtunity ever arose, but it didn't. Take the shoulders out, the 115 exits and the deer goes down hard every time...

You dont need a 1000ft lbs to kill deer either...Its a decent rule of thumb, but its surely not set in stone..I"ve seen more then my fair share of little fork muleys shot at 200-400 yards with 222's, 223's, 22-250's, and 220 swifts with 40g vmax/nbt or 55g vmax/nbt and they have no where near that kinda energy at 200-400 yards. Most of them deer dropped on the spot without so much as a kick, and a couple ran maybe 50 yards at most before dying.

The question is more a matter of "What is your effective range?"

I have seen guys that couldn't hit a deer at 200 no matter what round they were shooting. Most of them know thier limitations and head to the woods and kill thier deer at 100yds.

Just because a race car can run 200 MPH doesn't mean that just anybody can keep it on the track and Daytona.

I think the limiting factor would be the rifle/scope set up and the shooters skill set more so than the caliber.
AN accurate rifle/load combo with quality optics in the hands of an experienced long range hunter who has practiced should have no problem shooting 700 yds. The most difficult part will be reading the wind.

JD338

If the gun is setup properly, i.e. optics, and using quality ammo either factory or reloads, the person's skill will give out before the guns ability will. Long range shooting is a perishable skill.

A friend showed me a pic of a yote he shot at 391yds. 87gr. V-max running HARD. Exit wound was nasty. He hit him broadside, softball size exit wound. DRT!!

Musta been a 6mm of some sort, only vmax in 25 cal is the 75g. Only 87g vmax I know of is 6mm anyways...

But yes, the 75g vmaxs are hel on coyotes, and your barrel and throat as well. There ok out to about 500 yards, but after that, there BC gets to them, they start to drop and drift like a rock...I've shot a few hundred of them out of my 25-06's over the years, but I never stick with them. There great for calling/truck rifle, but any type of longer range you need the heavier bullet.

The 85g NBT is an awesome yote bullet, and flys pretty good out to 600 yards. The 100g NBT is also a great yote bullet if your looking to still have flat trajectory, they shoot pretty good out to 800 yards for me. If you want 1 bullet to do all, shoot the 115g NBT and you'll kill deer at 600 fairly easy, and coyotes to as far as you can hit them.

Here in the state of Ill. for a handgun to be used it has to be able to have 500 ft. lb.....Can you use that as a yard stick for what it take to kill a deer?

I had a Savage model 110FP I believe I bought it new in 2001 and put a Bushnell Banner 6-18X50AO and reloaded
some 115NBT and popped a moving white tail doe at about 650yds normally I would not have taken the shot but for some reason I was convinced I could do it so I took the shot and dropped her. By the time we got to were she was, she had got up and moved on me after looking for 30min I spotted her about 100 yards away so I took another shot right then and it was over. I had led her too much otherwise had I had better placement it would have been more then enough to do the job.

Back