Went on a little ADC trip this A.M.

Silverfox

After supper Monday night, I got a phone call from a Montana rancher friend who lives about 50 miles from Williston. He told me a bitch coyote and two pups had been hanging around just south of the farm place and they suspected them of being the culprits that had killed a couple of young calves. He asked if I would go out there and try to eliminate them. I decided I would go out there this morning since I wanted to do some work with my new rifle on Tuesday morning. I got up at 6:00 a.m. and was headed out to his ranch at 6:30 a.m. The wind was from the NW and there is no way I can approach his land from the SE (the neighbor won't let anyone on his land), so I headed to the SW corner of his land and approached it from there.

When I came over the rise I was going to set up in front of, there was a female antelope with twin babies, a male antelope and three other antelope just to the NE of me about 150 yards. They snorted and ran across the fence to the ENE of them, but stopped and stood around at maybe 300 yards from my position. I set up my FoxPro about 30 yards north of me and started out with some high pitched howls, followed by some puppy yelping.

Calling_Spot--6-23-2004-small.jpg

After about a two minute time frame of silence, I started the woodpecker distress sound on the FoxPro. About 4 minutes into the stand the antelope took off running and headed south. I figured something must be coming. At the 4 1/2 minute mark I spotted a coyote coming up out of a little meandering draw. It wasn't very deep, but hid the coyote until he was about right in front of my location. He appeared to be about 250 yards away, and was NOT coming straight in to the FoxPro, but rather, he was kind of paralleling my position and didn't seem especially interested in coming any closer. So, I cranked up my scope to 14X, barked with my voice a couple times, and he stopped broadside with his head and ears facing me. I got the crosshairs right on the line of his back, just behind the right front shoulder and started to tighten up on the trigger--before I could finish squeezing off the shot, he moved back down into the little draw and he was headed away from me to the SE when he disappeared. I kept watching and he came up out of the draw. I barked again, he stopped, I held slightly above the line of his back and behind the right front shoulder and squeezed off the shot. WHOP!!! I could see his front legs jump up in the air and he tipped over sideways!!! I watched to see if he was down for the count and he didn't move. I began gathering up my butt pack, jacked in another shell, got my digital camera and began to walk toward him to take some photos to show the rancher. I left the FoxPro and butt pack right on the hillside so I wouldn't have the extra weight as I went to take the photo. Good thing I didn't leave my rifle, as you will read next!

I was counting my steps just to see how far the shot was--I estimated it to be about 300 yards (it was actually 270 yards). I got about 1/3 of the way to where he lay and up he got and hobbled about 30 yards. I could see that I had hit him just in front of and above the shoulder juncture on the neck. I couldn't believe he was still up and living!!! The field I was walking in was a field of wheat and was in the early boot stage, so there was now way I could lay down and still see him, plus the fence line ahead had weeds growing up under the bottom wire. So, I began to do a squat walk until I got up to the fence. I tried to get my rifle set up to take a shot at him as he laid out in the open on the prairie, but no matter how I set the gun up either the top of the barrel touched the bottom wire, or if I put the barrel over the wire, the bottom of the barrel touched the wire. I decided to crawl under the wire to get a better position. When I did that he moved about 20 yards and laid down behind some tall grass, but I could see his front shoulders, head and neck above the grass. I got settled in and popped him in the boiler room and that was the end of him.

I was using the 20 gr. V-Max bullets in my .17 Remington. I would have liked to have used the 30 gr. Starke bullets, but I had my rifle sighted in for the 20 gr. V-Max for prairie dogs and summer shooting. I hit the coyote way farther right than the spot I was aiming, but about right vertically. In all the excitement of calling him in and not getting him to come in closer, I had forgotten about the 10+ mph wind wafting from left to right and the bullet drifted about 10 inches to the right. I'd rather be lucky than good any day!!! The bullet seems to have exploded on the surface of the neck and not penetrated through. Remind me not to use the 20 gr. V-Max bullets on coyotes again.

Manged_Male--6-23-2004--small.jpg

I walked in to the east another half mile over a small ridge and set up and called for another 25 minutes, hoping I might get the female and two pups to come in and check out the howling, coyote pup yelping, and dying rabbit sounds. I got 16 yearling calves to come in to the calling. They stood about 50 yards from me, milling around the whole time I was calling. I didn't try to scare them away because I thought it was better to have 17 pairs of eyes watching for coyotes than just my two eyes. Nothing came in. I hiked back, drove up to the ranch house to talk to the hired man and get some suggestions on how to get SE of the buildings, but the fellow wasn't home. I decided not to venture out there without him knowing I was there. I'll try to get out there again early next week to see if I can eliminate the female and the pups.

There were some real nice flowers blooming on the prairie and I have attached a few photos of them for you.

Flower_mix.jpg

Echinacea--5-cone_flower_blossoms.jpg

Last one:

Yellow_flowers.jpg

Nice work silverfox i had to check on a ranch earlier this week that had a coyote coming into the yard until the rancher shot it and a week later another one showed up so i might be doing some ADC work of my own. Went out to locate to see if he had a denned up pair around and they came in to welcome me as soon as i howled. They wouldn't come any closer than 150yds which my camera isn't capable of.
Was that an adult coyote and if so about how old was it.

nice pics silverfox...i had no idea that a 17hmr was capable of killing a coyote at 270 yards. I was going to buy one or a 22mag for night hunting..i have a post in the firearms section.

Silverfox,
Great story, as usual, just like being along with you! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif The wild flower pictures were a nice touch! Good luck on the female and pups.

DrewMIhunter, It wasn't a .17 hmr he used. .17 Remingtons a whole different ballgame! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Great story Silverfox, thanks for sharing it.
I wish when my phone rang in the morning it was an invite for coyote removal instead of putting on my tool belt /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Ahh...........thanks for the story & photos fix. You're the best!
I love the looks of that countryside. It's nice to see what it looks like without all that snow on it. All that green and wildflowers too, great! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

What can you say about SilverFox but he da' MAN /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Loved the story as always you do a wonderful job in you descriptions and pics. I bet when the old racher finds out about your kill he will be trilled. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Great job, and keep um comming. Just was wondering how much did the yote weigh?

Awesome pictures. I really like the native grasses moreso than the flowers... you know the grasses stained with blood! haha, nice pics.

Tommy, I'm freakin' horse laughin at that icon you've got yourself... how did you achieve that headbanging smiley face?

Edit: Oh and Drew, the 17centerfire and the 17HMR are two totally different animals. The centerfire is more closely compared to the .223 and the 17HMR to the 22mag. You won't get this kind of results from your HMR at any range, not that I've seen anyways in a dog sized target. Its hell on smaller varmints though.

well i looked like a "rookie" again...oh well, thats what too much overtime and not fully reading everything does.

sorry silverfox..at least everyone got a good laugh. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Aww thats okay, nobody laughed. Okay some people laughed but its still okay. Today is what... Thursday... and I'm sitting on 45 hours right now.. by Saturday evening I'll be approaching 60 so I know all about the overtime. Obviously my job isn't too demanding though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Great story SF. Was getting nervous there when you said he got back up. That 20gr V-Max sure did explode on the surface. :eek:

No doubt your 30 grainer would of put him down. What a classic illustration of wind drift as you described.

I don't think that yote would of went very far either way though, he was a gonner.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

nd coyote hunter--I would guesstimate this male was probably 2 to 4 years old and probably in the 25 pound range. The side that is on the ground was mange infested. I should have snapped a photo of that too, but I really don't like to touch those mangy ones, so I didn't roll him over. I think he was in pretty bad shape due to the mange.

drewMIhunter--I see that several other posters got you up to speed on the fact that I was using a .17 Remington caliber and NOT a .17hmr. Not that the .17hmr isn't a good caliber, but IT IS NOT a 270 yard coyote rifle. I have never shot a .17hmr, but I don't think I'd be shooting it at a coyote it if was further than 100 yards away, but then that's just my humble opinion.

Thanks for all the nice comments on my story and photos. I will be going back out there early next week for a try at eliminating the female and her two pups. I may have to get my scope adjusted for the 30 gr. Starkes again. I sure hate that when a bullet blows up on the surface, but then the 20 gr. V-Max was probably not intended for 270 yard shots on coyotes. It sure does a nice job on prairie dogs even out to 300+ yards though.

Pennsylvania Predator Hunter--That hole, made by the .17 Remington 20 gr. V-Max was caused by a blowup on the surface. The bullet did not penetrate through to the other side. I believe the coyote would have died eventually, but I do not like to see my quarry suffer needlessly, so I generally track them down and do the coup de grace on them.

My usual coyote load, a 30 gr. Starke Red Prairie Varmint bullet exiting the muzzle at 3,900 fps usually does not blow up on the surface like that 20 gr. V-Max did. It has a whole lot more ft. lbs. of energy too and would be a much better choice for a coyote-sized animal.

Back