Combo Hunt

venatic

My wife is on spring break vacation at the beach with a group of her friends so last night after the cool front moved through and the wind died I slipped off hunting in the middle of the night.
I parked in the center of the 1600 acre pasture thinking from there I would just walk to the edges of the property and call.I knew the sliver of a moon that we had would not be up until almost daylight so it was dark enough to set-up almost anywhere.As I proceeded toward the western edge of the pasture off to the north coyotes started up and then in the Northwest a couple answered back.OK well at least they are here. I had a spot in the SW corner in mind but I knew these coyotes could not hear me from there but no matter they could wait.
1st set I called softly for about 15 minutes with nothing showing.So I started toward the middle of the place but angling north to get within hopefully hearing distance of the earlier yipping coyotes. I had some trouble finding a place to cross the creek as the water was up from recent rains.
Once I jumped the creek I hit the Lightforce and scanned the large field and saw two sets of eyes that turned out to be raccoons,not what I had in mind so I continued on. I had gone another couple hundred yards and luckily decided to scan again. Well looky here two sets of eyes moving parallel to me at about 300 yds. Coyotes!! I quickly set-up the Primos Tripod and stepped about 15 yds to the right and set the Fury on a big pile of dirt that hogs had rooted up and then returned to the tripod and dimmed the Lightforce down and shined to the North Yep they were still there.
I played Vole Squeaks at low volume and the eyes turned and headed my way. As they approached I gradually increased the intensity and when they got to about 100 yds TWO MORE coyotes joined them and the race was on. I lip squeaked the lead dog and that just made him run faster, the cross hairs were following nicely so I squeezed off and he rolled. I jacked another round and then scanned the pasture... not a coyote in sight man are they quick.
Thinking maybe just maybe one might be still in the neighborhood I moved to higher ground and set-up again only 200 yds farther. I tryed bird sounds this time and raccoons climbed the post my call was on twice but they got passes. The bobcat that showed up later did not.
IMG_0462.jpg

But that's not what made this a combo hunt.I brought my shotgun and tried some crows for a couple of stands until the wind got so bad my hat kept blowing off. I knocked down 9 although only the first five made the photo op.
IMG_0463.jpg

HOM%20-%20Banner.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
When the cat is away the mice will play. My wife likes to take vacations with the girls at times. They go places I have no desire to see. When shes gone I fish and hunt like a mad man. Way to go on your hunt.

Back