how important is a face mask??

I've often wondered the same thing. I notice that in a lot of TV shows, and videos, some hunters wear them and some don't. Most all of them bag their animal, so I don't know. I assume, which I probably shouldn't, that it is more important when hunting some animals, than it is when hunting others. I'd be interested in hearing what others have to say on this topic.

I've seen videos of guys killing coyotes without them.

I wear one everytime. I figure it's something that's easy to do, so why not increase my odds. Coyotes are smart.

Most videos when they show the hunter are filmed after the kill. You dont know if they had one on while calling or not.

If your girlfriend is really ugly, then they're extremely important. I heard they come in handy while predator hunting as well.

For example:

2_ugly.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: reb8600Most videos when they show the hunter are filmed after the kill. You dont know if they had one on while calling or not.

That's not true. Many of the videos show the shooters before, during, and after.

I was specifically thinking of Randy Andersons videos, as I remember seeing them not wearing facemasks sometimes.

I wear one from turkey season thats a 3/4 mask made of mesh. Its cheap and lightweight so i dont see a downside. The heavy ones are good for taking the bite outta the wind in winter.

I think it's important to cover up your shiny face by whatever means necessary. I use a face mask, some use camo paint, (to messy for me), and if you've watched the Predator Quest videos he always puts his camo gloved hand in front of his face when coyotes are close. You can easily prove it to yourself by having a buddy stand out a couple hundred yards both with and without some kind of face camo, it's pretty amazing how much the human face shines.

Originally Posted By: LeviSSOriginally Posted By: reb8600Most videos when they show the hunter are filmed after the kill. You dont know if they had one on while calling or not.

That's not true. Many of the videos show the shooters before, during, and after.

I was specifically thinking of Randy Andersons videos, as I remember seeing them not wearing facemasks sometimes.

Didnt say all of them. Do you believe that the ones showing the hunter from the front calling are filmed while actually calling? It is staged after the kill. Randys are different he is filming and turning the camera on himself. Dont believe everything you see on film. Do you believe they kill coyotes every stand also?

I have called them in with and without a mask.

Originally Posted By: LeviSSI wear one everytime. I figure it's something that's easy to do, so why not increase my odds. Coyotes are smart.

That's where I am.

Originally Posted By: reb8600Originally Posted By: LeviSSOriginally Posted By: reb8600Most videos when they show the hunter are filmed after the kill. You dont know if they had one on while calling or not.

Didnt say all of them. Do you believe that the ones showing the hunter from the front calling are filmed while actually calling? It is staged after the kill. Randys are different he is filming and turning the camera on himself. Dont believe everything you see on film. Do you believe they kill coyotes every stand also?

Of course I don't believe that. That is one of my biggest pet peeves of any type of hunting video...the fakeness, talking too much or loud, movement, plugging their gear, etc.

Anyway, just wear one.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Brendan43If your girlfriend is really ugly, then they're extremely important. I heard they come in handy while predator hunting as well.

For example:
I kinda like this answer.LOL I don't use them and think if ya sit still you wont have a problem, of course I've got a bushy beard during the winter months, I just hope they don't mistake it for a bunch of fur. Mike
2_ugly.jpg

Originally Posted By: reb8600Originally Posted By: LeviSSOriginally Posted By: reb8600Most videos when they show the hunter are filmed after the kill. You dont know if they had one on while calling or not.

kinda like when deer hunters are tracking a deer after the shot and all of a sudden the camera angle is moved about 50 yds out in front and shooting back toward the hunters tracking and of sudden the hunters track another 20 yds and they scream "there he is" !!! im thinking " if you would have followed your camera guy you wouldnt have had to even track those last 40 yds"!!!!!! LOL
lol.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Brendan43If your girlfriend is really ugly, then they're extremely important. I heard they come in handy while predator hunting as well.

For example:

2_ugly.jpg

[beeep]...I'd run from that if she didn't wear a mask.
I wear a camo bandana and hat, leaving only the eyes uncovered.

I have been making TV Shows for about 7 years and they are not all made by the same proceedure and vary between production companies and also the type of hunt. The last few years, we have filmed many, many predator calling hunts. We almost always use facemask as for one, we are trying to call the predators as close to the decoy as we can. Its just the sport we are playing. Many of these hunts that are filmed are filmed
with one camera, and that requires considerable of what we call
"cut ins" after a stand where we have some sort of action. Certainly, we do not call something on every stand. Actually, if you do it right, the filming will cut down on your success, and all other things being equal, you will call LESS predators IF your priority is capture really good footage.

We film with an absolute minimum of 2 cameras, one on a tripod operated by the cameraman and the other on a tripod focused on
the hunters. But, we try to film with 2 cameramen running a camera each plus one or two more on tripods, or barrel cams.

Either way, the views you see of us hunting are realtime and are not cut ins. If we are wearing a face mask, it shows, if we do not show a face mask, we were not wearing one, but if your interest is to get them in close, you should always wear both a face mask and gloves and leave very little human skin to view, as it is highly visiable.

That is all a lot of effort, and takes several people, and it cuts into your hunting considerably, but it is what it takes to
get really good footage.

It just how we do it.

In my opinion I think facemasks are important if your in an area where the coyotes are closer to you. I've never hunted out west but from the shows I watch it looks like a lot of the shots are farther away so to me it wouldn't seem that important if you wore one or not if they are that far out.

Back