A Good Year for Cats

SnakeFarm250

The 2009/2010 season has been really good to me this year. I have been very fortunate or lucky depending on which way you wanna look at it.

About two weeks ago I went calling with my normal partners out here in West Texas. The night started pretty slow with 3 or 4 blank stands right off the bat. At about 10:00PM after only 3 minutes of calling we had our first predator of the night come in at a pretty steady pace stopping for a 50yd head on shot. Bang flop and we THOUGHT we had our first critter in the back of the truck. Immediately after the shot I continued panning the light around to see if we had any more takers. Nothing showed up after 5 minutes so Jim went out to collect the cat. Problem was he wasn't there. We knew exactly where he was so we all got down and searched for 30 minutes and found nothing. Dissapointed we got back in the truck and moved to another ranch.

Stand 1 produced a bouncing grey fox that I shot at about 60yds. Stands 2 and 3 were blank and we were beginning to get worried as we were in a contest and had only one fox in the back of the truck and it was almost 2:00AM. Then it just turned on. Stands 4, 5, and 6 all produced greys and we now had 4 greys. About 4AM the fog rolled in just as we caught eyes coming in. I struggled over and over to try and get a clear sight picture but it just wasn't happeneing. I knew it was a cat and I tried to put the crosshairs on the top of the white blob that I could see through the scope. I touched one off and he was dirt at about 80yds. Next stand produced nothing and the following produced a hard charging grey that was shot about 40yds from the truck. At this point we had time for one more stand before the sun came up and we had to get headed back to the check-in. We chose a small tank that had good cover and a draw running beside it. After 20 minutes of calling we had seen two coons but didn't shoot because they aren't counted in these contests. We were just about to call it a night when I saw eyes coming our way. They were coming fast and I was certain it was coyote. When it finally cleared the brush there was no doubt it was another cat. This cat came in to about 60yds and started circling us. He would not stop for nuthing just before he was going out of sight in desperation I yelled "HEY" and he momentarily slowed down just enough for a shot. My father-in-law shot and hit him far back but anchored him right there.

We were excited but knew we probably wouldnt do well in the contest with just 2 cats and 5 fox. It was at this point that Jim said he thought we should go look for the first cat he shot earlier that night on the other ranch. We all agreed it was worth a try and returned to find that the cat had been shot perfectly in the chest and still made it 80yds.

We then hurried back to check-in and made it barely on time. Had 3 cats and 5 fox (8 predator limit). Won 2nd Place and walked away with a little cash and a great night of hunting.

http://i692.photobucket.com/albums/vv287/jsmith105/BL1.jpg[/img]]

http://i692.photobucket.com/albums/vv287/jsmith105/BL4.jpg[/img]]

HOM%20-%20Banner.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Great story Snakefarm250 your right about the cats this year we have had a really great year for them. I think between me and my partners we called and killed 30 total this season and 22 of those we have on film for the next DVD. I know one thing for sure the contest hear in Texas are really starting to take off I think San Angelo had 53 teams enter the last contest and with a 5900.00 pay out its no wonder predator hunters are coming out of the wood works lol...... Good Hunting and God Bless Skinner

It has been a good year for cats. Normally I take 4 to 5 each fall but this year I have called over a dozen and taken 8 so far.

Wow, you must be run over with them out there. We have some here, but they don't come easy. Nice going.

None of the cats were very big. The biggest was the middle cat, the one from the fog that got it in the teeth, and he was 22lbs or so. I personally have taken 7 bobcats this year and my partners have taken 20-25 more. No sewing on those cats, we sold them all for $35 on the cob. Kinda makes you sick when 2 years ago they were going from $80-$120 a piece on the cob. Cats came West of Angelo.

Last edited:
Back