Single or Dual Stage Trigger - which do you prefer?

dway

I am building an AR15 for coyote hunting but will also use it as a home defense weapon and I am trying to decide on an aftermarket trigger. I am not new to shooting, I have just never had anything with a "quality" trigger. I have used a muzzleloader for the last 20 years for deer hunting and done a lot of plinking with various .22's and a couple SKS's - none of which had anything other than the stock trigger setups.

I have done a lot or research over the last several days and know the difference between the single and double stage triggers, I am just not sure what to get. I don't know anyone with a quality trigger of either type that I can try, so I am just going to have to order one and give it a go. I have decided from the reviews I have read that I am going to go with a Wilson Combat TTU, so I am not really trying to decide on one brand vs another - it's down to single vs dual stage.

What do you guys prefer and why?
Thanks

I have always shot military triggers on M-16/ M-4's and never had any problems. I like the consistency in the travel. I just put an American Trigger AR Gold in my new build. I love the low pull weight but the first stage is so light it almost feels sloppy, which I don't like. Don't get me wrong, the unit is beautiful.

I guess if I had it to do over, I rather have a little heavier pull that is has constant resistence all the way through the squeeze.

I myself had the same problem of trying to decide on a trigger and after alot of searching on the net and from the advice of some members here I went with this guy- http://www.triggerwork.net/index.html. Ask anyone whos had him do their trigger. Crisp 3 lbs with no creep for $40 (I already had the JP Yellows). Beats spending $180-$300 plus.

I have a Bushmaster predator with the match two stage trigger and love it shooting off the bench but to tell you the truth when I'm hunting and the coyotes start coming hard and fast I kinda forget I have a two stage. On the other hand I put a Timney 3# in my R-15 CS and love it. It breaks crisp and clean (no creep) and made a different shooting rifle out of it.

I like my Jewell (2-stage) just because I can adjust it to any weight/travel I want. Whether that's worth $200 or not you have to decide. I haven't regretted paying that much for it.
If you're used to shooting single-stage, though, you might not like that "take-up" feel. I'd have to say Bill Springfied might be your best deal.

For hunting, action competition, or self defense, I prefer the two stage... If I'm going to be shooting Prairie Dogs or targets, I prefer the single stage...

With the two stage, there is a slight advantage against having an 'accidental discharge', whereas with the single stage, it is usually set for a lighter, cleaner break..

I have read a lot of good reviews of Bill's trigger jobs, but I have seen a few that said they started doubling after a few hundred shots and thats why I was not sure about going with one of his trigger jobs. I think I might go ahead and try him anyway. There seems to be A LOT more people that are happy with them then there are people with problems.

I think I will probably go with the 4# job because everyone says to stay with at least that for a self defense gun. I know that 4# isn't ideal for hunting, but it's a lot better than the stock 7-8# and it's quite a bit lighter than I am used to in any other gun. I think I will also order a dual stage Wilson Combat TTU so I can compare the feel of a single vs dual stage trigger. As popular as the Wilson TTU's are becoming with the tactical guys I could always sell it and get most of my money back if I decide that I prefer the single stage.

I like the two stage for hunting...it forces me to pay more attention to my trigger pull so I'm less likely to jerk the trigger.

Well I was able to attend a gun show today and a big RRA dealer was there with a cut-away lower with a dual stage trigger installed, so I got to actually feel what a dual stage one feels like. I really liked it. I am sure it will take a little getting used to, but man what a difference. Now I see why a lot of people prefer them.

I have the 2 stage Geissele Super Semi-Automatic (SSA) Trigger in one lower and a JP single stage in another lower.

The SSA is a non-adjustable combat trigger, it is not a match trigger, but the more I use it the better I like it.

If I was building another lower the SSA would be the way I'd go, UNLESS I wanted something just for shooting from a bench, but then I'd look at the Geissele match trigger.

I will say this,,i love my jewel 2-stage trigger,,but when i go back to a regular trigger,,i flinch like crazy..lol...X

I originally had a two stage trigger on my custom ar. I hated it in a rifle! I had horrible groups. I traded the two stage trigger away for a light single stage trigger, and my accuracy improved dramatically. I WILL NEVER have a two stage trigger in a rifle ever again.

Last edited:
I have a D-Tech tuned RRA NM 2 stage that I find more predictable on the bench. When you have an AR-15 trigger under 2 lbs. they can be more manageable in a 2 stage in my opinion. I do appreciate a nice single stage on my bolt rifles though. Not all single and 2 stage triggers are created equal, so it's hard to say which is better. Even individual triggers of the same type and brand can vary drastically as they come from the factory. That's why I had mine tuned for my needs.

I agree with Jim. I have 3 rifles with RRA NM triggers, two stock and one is Dtech tuned to about 2.5#. The Dtech trigger makes it nice on a bench and still safe for cold weather hunting. For strictly bench work I'd like it even lighter.
In stock form the RRA NM's are better than my old Colt "match" trigger and a lot better than a mil-spec trigger. I wasnt happy with my 2nd NM as it was breaking around 7# which is way above whats advertised. RRA fitted it to my lower (even paid shipping both ways and sent UPS to my house to pick it up) and it is now in my cold weather calling carbine. Its still too heavy for bench work (about 4.5#'s) but perfect for a calling gun where I'm typically wearing very heavy gloves.
I havent measured the 3rd trigger but it is a bit heavier, I'd guess about 5.5-6#. Its in the RRA I bought for my kids so I might just leave it alone for now. The RRA rep I spoke to advised that the NM triggers are factory tuned on a test lower, but slight variances in your lower may make it heavier or lighter. Long story short, they arent the best trigger out there but they are nice and they can be made very nice for a couple bucks.

Back