adapt.....improvise...(long)

sendit223

I got out last weekend and visited a rancher friend who was happy to see a coyote hunter. On my first stand I put the mega-mojo out alongside my ecaller. When I went to turn on the Foxpro I noticed the switch had been on for who knows how long? I figured I'd give it a shot until the batteries died...which was all of 15 seconds. Murphy's law strikes. Though on nearly every other trip I had packed everything and the kitchen sink, now I was "traveling light". So no spare batteries there or in the truck and no charger.

Time to adapt -- I got out the catnip and wailed away for 30 seconds or so and a coyote about runs me over at 10 yards. He was motoring toward the mojo and when he hit my scent cone did a 90 degree turn and picked up speed. Education was all I gave him.

Over the hill I set up again and put the mojo on the next little hill over (in the back of the photo below):
P3070007.jpg

After about 30 minutes I was about ready to go home when I spotted a coyote sneaking around my down wind side (rifle is pointing downwind in photo). She looked right at me but I was still and ghillied up, so she kept slowly walking. She made it behind a little hill before I could raise the rifle, so I guessed where she might come out and waited. She came out right there and stopped as she was directly downwind, but out there 80 yards. 60 grains of Vmax later and she did the spin dance.

P3070014.jpg

I tell ya I was ready to quit a couple of times that day because I messed up the batteries and didn't have any spares. I sure am glad I didn't because calling 2 in in 2 stands with the catnip was just plain fun. The next 3 stands were empty but it was a good day.
P3070039.jpg

HOM%20-%20Banner.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well done sendit. I just got an ecaller but always bring my old faithful hand calls with me just in case. What is that attached to your bipod that sits to the left of your barrel? What is it's purpose?

Fish

Nice job! Lovin the color of that AR as well!

Although E-callers are so convenient and an excellent tool, nothing is more satisfying than using a hand call to call a coyote in.

What pack and padded seat is that?

Great job, I need to get me a Catnip they sound great. Another equipment question - what do you have going on with the objective of that scope? Like the stealth look but how can you see through that thing?!

Fish - that's a plastic plate I bolted onto the bipod that has velcro on the other side. I velcro my ecaller remote to it so that I don't move much when hitting the mute button...you know, when I remember to actually bring charged batteries with me.

tslabaugh - the pack is a Badlands Superday pack. The seat pad is something I picked up along the way from when I used to deer hunt. Couldn't tell ya where it's from, but it's thick and quiet. It snaps right on one of the pack straps, so it's easy. I switch between that and a concert type chair that has a back on it.

gooseboy - on the objective is a stock Leupold Alumaflip cover that I painted along with the rest of the rig. So yeah, seeing through it is tough LOL. Just flip and shoot.

Thanks guys. As with any of my success on predators, I never could have done it without the help from all of the people on this forum.

Going again tomorrow and Sunday if I can negotiate the deal with the wife.

sendit - yea I look like a dope. With the camo job and the round brown circle in the middle I thought it was some kind of anti-reflection device like on the Nikon Coyote scope. Guess I should look closer... anyway great looking rig and good job!

Nice setup with your AR. What ammo are you using? I have a CZ527 in .223 that I've been using, but am going to be setting up one of my ARs for predator hunting as well.

gooseboy - the photo is tough to figure out what's what...hey! the camo is working. Thanks for the compliment!

ozzy - that's a stock 16" RRA Coyote Carbine. I have the Levang to swap out the flash suppressor, but not ready to now as I'm still shooting a bit.

NWCP - I use a bunch of stuff, but that coyote died due to an extreme supply of 60 grain Vmax delivered from blue box black hills ammo.

Back