Plum Crazy lower - my quick review

doggin coyotes

I'm one of the guys that was in line to get one of the Plum Crazy AR15 lowers that have been talked about in another thread floating around here. A member here by the name of Brasshound took orders and did some kind of group buy from the manufacture (I think that's the way it worked. lol).

If'n ya don't know already, the actual lower (the serial # part) is made entirely of some kind of composite material. I presume it's an injection mold type of process.

My FFL guy called and said it had arrived yesterday. I made it to the guys shop today and after doing the paper work, background crap, yada, yada, the FFL guy felt it was safe to hand it over to me.
tongue.gif

My first thought was it actually LOOKED good and LOOKED well made.

These were advertised as being COMPLETE lowers. Ready to pin on an upper and go shoot. It seemed as though it was.

Even the trigger group, as far as I can tell, is made of a composite material. The only thing I see made of metal on the entire lower is the extension tube, it's spacer and nut, all the springs of course, take down pins, trigger/hammer pins and the buffer.

First thing I did when I got home was remove my lightweight upper from the CavArms lower. (For those who never heard of CavArms, it is also a lower made of a composite material, but molded in an entirley different way and looks totally different than the PlumCrazy).

I lined the front hinge holes up and slipped the hinge pin in. Oh yeah, nice fit! I started hinging the upper closed on the lower and it got snug, real snug, as the rear lug started into the lower. I gave it a fairly good whack with my palm and it closed right up. PERFECT! It took a pretty hard push with my thumb to get the rear pin in. Again, PERFECT!

All in all, my particular upper on this Crazy lower looked like they were made for each other. The fit was very nice. No gaps, no wiggle. Just an awful nice fit all the way around.

The trigger. I wasn't expecting a nice crisp 3 pounder. And I didn't get one.
tongue_smilie.gif
It certainly ain't great or even close, but in my opinion it's no worse than any other standard all metal AR15 trigger. To me when thumbing the hammer back, it seems like the hammer spring is really heavy and stiff. I don't know if it is in fact stiffer/heavier than a standard hammer spring, but with the hammer being composite and more than likely lighter than a metal hammer it wouldn't surprise me if it was.

I'm going to try dropping one side of the hammer spring, maybe try one of the reduced pull spring kits and a couple of other little things that might help the pull a tad. If there's nothing I can do to help it a little, no biggie. It will work fine just the way it is for the beater rifle I plan on making with this lower.

The CS.... I was figuring on a cheap POS. It's not. Well it might be cheap
grin.gif
, but it's better than I was expecting. Seems to be a normal, run of the mill CS. No better, no worse than most.

I doubt there will be any surprises, at least no bad ones, once I get to put some rounds through the thing. Right now I'm real happy with the lower. It's much better than I thought it was going to be. I will give it
thumbup.gif
. (unless something changes).. Heck, for $99.95 I'd say it's a real bargin.

Thanks to Brasshound for setting up the buy.

I got mine today as well. I agree that they look real well made. I haven't pinned my upper on it yet, but, from what you say, it looks like I should not be dissappointed. I can't wait to shoot it. Maybe next week! Glad to hear the good review. Now I need one of the CMMG uppers Brasshound might be selling.
drool.gif

kevlars

I believe the triggers are heavy, but way better than any factory I have. The polymer hammer is lighter than a metal hammer, so I would assume they extra spring garrantees ignition...
Nice write up Doggin..

Kevlar,, Working on those uppers, just takes money..
wink.gif

Thanks for the write up. Keep us posted on how it shoots and all. The price is great, and I may look into one myself.

Thanks also for the write up,,one of the main reasons i ordered a couple,I have 3 daughters that wanna shoot,,2 of them cant lift my rifle ,,so a couple lightweights for them too shoot......X

Originally Posted By: stealthmanThanks for the info. Good to know there is another composite option now that Cavalry is out. Hope they do well.

Yeah, I heard about a week ago that Cavalry had stopped, or was stopped, from making the lowers AGAIN.

Personally I like this PC lower assembly MUCH better than the Cav lower.

Get this. Even as lightweight as a complete Cav lower is, and it is extreamly light, the PC complete lower is lighter yet! Several hundred grams lighter.

Unless something totally unexpected surfaces after actually using the lower for awhile, I'm going to be real happy with it. Now I need to find a flatside upper with a 18 or 20 inch barrel.

You can get a Spikes lower for $84.95, top of line lowers-----no logos-----have one, love it-------haven't seen anything else as good for money,,,,,,,,,,just thought I would share

JJ,
PC is a complete Composite lower assembly, lower, fire controls, and a six position collapsible stock, not a stripped lower... Just in case you did not know...
Spike's Tactical Complete Lower w/ M4 Stock
Starting at: $275.00

Last edited:
Guys...keep the reviews coming...I have not heard of this composite type material...how are they holding up in the field...is there ware and tare...do they get sloppy over time...again I am not familiar with this material.
Brasshound...let us know if you are going to do a group buy again...would consider getting in...thanks.

I too will be following this thread. I am about to pull the trigger on a cav arms, but now you guys have the wheels turning. I have a 6.8 upper just about done and want a light weight lower for it

The cav lowers are nice too, unless you need a collapsible stock. pricewise the PC lowers are hard to beat if they hold up well. Im havent quiter warmed up to composite internals.

One of the local boys swapped in the Yellow JP spring, just did a quick test.. Eight squeezes, and eight bangs..

His statement.. "simply amazing"

Originally Posted By: dogtiredDid anyone weigh one yet?

I weighed my whole rifle with my milspec lower on it and with the PlumCrazy lower, and with the PlumCrazy, it was almost 1.2 pounds lighter. My upper pinned on perfectly, and fits great. I think I may try the yellow JP springs in mine as well.

kevlars

Back