loads for .223 1:9 twist

rocktire

need some info loading for a .223 with a 1:9 twist. I tried 69 grainers and it will not handle them tried several different seating depths and such no luck. It will shoot a 50 grain v-max very well though. Anyone have any info to share?

Rifle is a Ruger M77 MkII Target.

thanks

I shoot 50 gr vmaxs out of my R15 (1:9) with great results on all preds and paper. I shoot 55 vmaxs out of my 527. I have had runners and drts both but have recovered every animal. I don't think you need 69 grs to get the job done.

A 1:9 twist usually will only shoot up to a 62-65gr. accurately....A 55gr. is what my "Rockmaster" and my Rock River like....H322 23gr. and a 55gr. soft point works nicely....gobblr addict

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: skullcreekI shoot 55 vmaxs out of my 527.

SkullCreek, is that the sporter weight barrel? Or the varmint weight barrel? Thanks.

Last edited:
Rocktire....I shoot a Savage Model 12 .223 VLP that has the same barrel twist as your Ruger MK II. (BTW, I've got three Ruger MK II's that shoot incredibly tight groups). I still haven't given up on 69 gr, but thus far those are OTL. But this same rifle loves Sierra Bullets in 52, 53 and 55 Gr using RE -15, especially Varget (groups under 1.2" @ 100 yds) and now I'm about to try Vihta Vhori N133 & H335 where applicable. Because you are testing and unsure of the bullet you want to go with, might I suggest you check out www.bulletsamples.com where you can buy like 20 bullets of all sorts and manufacturers for testing purposes. The owner, Tom Reddin in Norman, OK, is an old timer who knows his stuff and weapons. You can go to his website or call him at 405-387-4541. He's a real nice and honest older gent who can help ya out. As far as various loads for your .223, PM me and I'd be happy to give ya loads I use, but remember they are all using Sierra Bullets. In any case, keep at it. I know you can find the right combo for that rifle.

The 69smk are very accurate in my Savage FP10 1/9".
My 4 .223s are all 1/9" and they eat up 50&55 gr bullets using w748. Those are my favorite weights in mine.
I just started to shoot the 69 to see how they would do....I am darn happy with those results. I am pushing them at about 2900fps, nothing fast, but cloverleafs at 100 make me smile, my best so far has been 3 shots in .333"
Im still working on loads using Varget, w748, blc2,h335.

Originally Posted By: ShynlocoRocktire....I shoot a Savage Model 12 .223 VLP that has the same barrel twist as your Ruger MK II. (BTW, I've got three Ruger MK II's that shoot incredibly tight groups). I still haven't given up on 69 gr, but thus far those are OTL. But this same rifle loves Sierra Bullets in 52, 53 and 55 Gr using RE -15, especially Varget (groups under 1.2" @ 100 yds) and now I'm about to try Vihta Vhori N133 & H335 where applicable. Because you are testing and unsure of the bullet you want to go with, might I suggest you check out www.bulletsamples.com where you can buy like 20 bullets of all sorts and manufacturers for testing purposes. The owner, Tom Reddin in Norman, OK, is an old timer who knows his stuff and weapons. You can go to his website or call him at 405-387-4541. He's a real nice and honest older gent who can help ya out. As far as various loads for your .223, PM me and I'd be happy to give ya loads I use, but remember they are all using Sierra Bullets. In any case, keep at it. I know you can find the right combo for that rifle.

I too have three of these rifles .204, .223 and .308 all in MkII target model with the heavy barrel and laminate stock. They are great guns. I am wanting to work up a load for shooting 200yd matches. We shoot at .75 inch circles from 200 yards and the slightest wind drift can throw you out of the game.

thanks for the info

I have a DPMS barrel in a 1:9 twist.. Best loads so far is a 50 Vmax , Fed 205 primer, and TAC.. Thats with WW brass that has been neck turned just enough to clean it up, primer pocket uniformed and flash hole de-burred. For the tightest groups wiegh the brass and group by weight.

Originally Posted By: rocktireneed some info loading for a .223 with a 1:9 twist. I tried 69 grainers and it will not handle them tried several different seating depths and such no luck. It will shoot a 50 grain v-max very well though. Anyone have any info to share?

thanks
The twist is not the problem. A 9" twist is about perfect for the 69MKs and will usually work with the 70 VLDs.

Jack

Originally Posted By: Jack RobertsOriginally Posted By: rocktireneed some info loading for a .223 with a 1:9 twist. I tried 69 grainers and it will not handle them tried several different seating depths and such no luck. It will shoot a 50 grain v-max very well though. Anyone have any info to share?

thanks
The twist is not the problem. A 9" twist is about perfect for the 69MKs and will usually work with the 70 VLDs.

Jack

The bullets are not key holing, so I kind of thought the same thing. I have tried different seating depths. Do you have any other suggestions. Seating depth hasn't been an issue with the lighter bullets surprisingly they will shoot good about anywhere.

The CZ is a 527 Varminter. It is a heavy rifle but the accuracy with the 55 gr factory loads is just spectacular. The first 50-60 rds weren't that impressive but then I fell in love. That single set trigger is awesome, my favorite factory trigger of all time. I believe the CZ is a 1:12. I feel sure someone will correct me if I am wrong. Haha

Originally Posted By: skullcreekI believe the CZ is a 1:12.

That depends on when it was made. In 2006 the Varmint weight barrels went to 1:9 while the sporter barrels are still 1:12. Do you know when your rifle was made? (date stamp on left side of receiver and barrel)

I will have to look when I get home. I was going by what I read on the CZ website (may have been looking at the sporter instead). I have had the rifle three yrs. I didn't concern myself too much with the twist when I bought it. I had a bunch of 223 ammo at the house and shot it and found that 55 vmax was money. It shoots the little 40's awesome too and it prefers molys over plain.

Last edited:
Maybe your barrel just doesn't like that 69gr bullet or that combination of bullet and powder. Don't overthink this stuff. Just shoot what the barrel likes. You're actually better off shooting the 50's anyway.....if your 50gr load is a good one it's going enough faster that it'll shoot flatter and have less wind drift than the heavier bullet.

Back