15 minute trigger job?

I did and I got what I paid for it.

What little I may of gained wasn't worth the 15 minutes spent. Try it for yourself though. You ain't out much.

I've used it for over a year with no failure to fire what so ever. Dramaticly changed my trigger pull for the good. Originally did it as a temporary fix, with the intention to replace with a timney and still have plans to, but the 15 minute trigger job has worked very well for me. $3.00 spring is all your out.

Caution: DO NOT modify the Trigger Spring without also modifying the Hammer Spring as described

what would it hurt?

I have done the 15 minute job on all the AR15's I have ever owned and it helps alot, I build most of my AR's and work the trigger over before I put it the lower. My latest M4 config carbine I did the honing with 1500gr sand paper and replaced the springs with these http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=7582/Product/AR_15_REDUCED_POWER_SPRING_KIT
End cost for the paper (hardware store) and the springs was less than 15 bucks....aftermarket triggers start at about $125 right?

It turned a 7 pound trigger into a 4-4.5 pound trigger. I had a Jewell in my 6.8 SPC and sold it to put a worked over factory trigger back in it with these springs.

Worth your time.

Last edited:
Definitely worth it if done correctly. I used a dremel with the grey polishing barrel with the polishing compound already built into the pad. Mirror like finish without removing too much material. Made a dramatic difference in my R-15. I bought two of each of the DPMS hammer and trigger springs from Midway before I attempted to do this. Took the factory springs out and modified the new springs. Still have the original factory springs and another set as a backup. Buy the backup parts and try it, you won't be disappointed.

OK, Here is my take on it.

After looking at several pictures of the Geissele ("Guys-Lee") Trigger, the only major difference, as far as operation, that i could see was the rounded sear edges.
gessielletrigger.jpg

So i took my R-15 trigger out and rounded them down, like the "15 min. trigger job" suggest. This helped TONS for me!! I used a knife sharpening stone that i had to do the job and it worked out great. It has a VERY fine grit. I use the old, "rub your teeth on it" trick to feel the smoothness of the metal. (FYI - Burglars will do this to tell fake pearls from real ones)

0302102031a.jpg

0302102018a.jpg

After this, i noticed that instead of bending my springs (yes they are bent in the picture), i could just put them under the trigger pin, instead of on top of it.

R-15Trigger2.jpg

R-15Trigger3.jpg

This lightened the pull a few pounds. Feels like a 2-3# trigger now with no creep.

This worked well after i tested it, but i am afraid that the hammer isn't hitting hard enough and i might have a few "no fires".

My reasoning is this:

TriggerCAD.jpg

The amount of surface area rubbing before was the cause for most of the Creep. After rounding the corners off, you have minimal surface area rubbing until release.

Yes i do agree that the Geissele triggers have the best geometry in combination with the right spring tension, and that is why they are the best. but come on!! $250!!!!!! I will save my money and stick with what i have.
My biggest question is, Why do current AR manufacturers STILL put piece of junk triggers in their guns??
confused.gif

I am still new to the AR-15 world, so let me know if i have made a horrible mistake.
whistle.gif

Now take a dremel with the cut off wheels and cut the hook off the hammer. Look at JP's speed hammer if you need a reference. Keep an eye on your trigger pin, that spring is also your detent and without at least one side up over your pin will walk out. That is a great idea putting the spring under if you use anti-walk pins. Thanks for the good post.
thumbup.gif
RR

Originally Posted By: Juice1050My biggest question is, Why do current AR manufacturers STILL put piece of junk triggers in their guns??
confused.gif

I am still new to the AR-15 world, so let me know if i have made a horrible mistake.
whistle.gif

The reason most likely is ANTI-GUN LAWYERS.

that is the reason most triggers are horrible from the factory, with the exception of triggers that have some type of safety built in to the trigger, i.e. the Accutrigger, etc.

Originally Posted By: RowdyRawhideOriginally Posted By: Juice1050My biggest question is, Why do current AR manufacturers STILL put piece of junk triggers in their guns??
confused.gif

whistle.gif

The reason most likely is ANTI-GUN LAWYERS.

that is the reason most triggers are horrible from the factory, with the exception of triggers that have some type of safety built in to the trigger, i.e. the Accutrigger, etc.

That and there is a ton of cash being made in after market drop in triggers

I just finished up doing this to my new DPMS and all I can say is wow. It worked very well.
I followed both the "15 minute" as well as Juice1050's instructions. Basically I bent the trigger spring and cut the hammer spring as well as rounded off the edge of the trigger. Then I put it on the polishing wheel and made it look like a mirror. Tomorrow if I get too bored I may skeletonize the hammer. If that doesn't work I'll just hack it off to make it look like the JP hammer like Roadrunner suggested.

I sent mine out, just got it back today (yay!). The factory trigger was next to impossible to do a 'precision' shot with. Lots of creep, rough feel and heavy trigger. If I went slow and steady it shot pretty poorly. If I combat shot like it was intended I could pull 1" off the group pretty easy.

Just finished dropping it back in, creep is totally gone. It's supposed to be down to about 3 pounds but I don't have a scale to measure it with. Polished, new springs, and the 'speed hammer'. Feels good though, not bad for $50. Now just to see how it shoots.

Originally Posted By: NdIndyI sent mine out, just got it back today (yay!). The factory trigger was next to impossible to do a 'precision' shot with. Lots of creep, rough feel and heavy trigger. If I went slow and steady it shot pretty poorly. If I combat shot like it was intended I could pull 1" off the group pretty easy.

Just finished dropping it back in, creep is totally gone. It's supposed to be down to about 3 pounds but I don't have a scale to measure it with. Polished, new springs, and the 'speed hammer'. Feels good though, not bad for $50. Now just to see how it shoots.

NdIndy: Who did you send your trigger/parts to and what was the turn around time?
Flyrodder

Just did the 15 min job last night for my Cav Arms lower.
Feels real good dry firing. Still some creep but smooth and much lighter. Will take it out this weekend and shoot some Wolf and Silver Bear.

Back