Which .204 bullet for coyotes?

Elkyri

Choosing between a 40 grain V-max and a 45 grain soft point, which is likely to give the best results on coyotes? (I'd like to save the fur.) Most shots are likely to be less than 250 yards or so. Both weights shoot reasonably well in my rifle. Right now I'm using Hornady.

Some 45 min and no reply surprises me. Here is what I know, the last time out with a friend and he shot one DRT at about 50 ish yards, front chest,40g Vmax. I know he has also shot 2 on dif. ocasions and 150+ yards which he was unable to recover but knows he hit them (one a bloody mess and another that he rolled).FWIW? Maybe them 45g would be better?

I have heard an awful lot of reports of splashing with plastic tipped bullets.

From what I understand the Hornady 45 grain flat base are less prone to splashing yet seem to stabilize in the ever common 12 twist.

The Berger 40's have a good rep also.

Welcome to the board!

45 grain hornady s.p. have been a good fur friendly bullet for me on coyotes. usually small hole in small hole out. also 35 grain berger is extreamly accurate and also fur friendly, most times it will not exit. you can get better velocity from the bergers if that matters to you. i have tried several,but not all, weights and brands of bullets and these worked best for me when saving fur.but like always if you hit them around the edges you will have holes to sew! good luck!, good hunting.

Although you did not mention the 40gr Berger that would be
my choice.They hold together well and shoot very well out of most factory guns. I would avoid the vmax they splash very easily if bone is hit as will the Blitzkings I have learned this from experience. I switched to 35 and 40 gr Bergers and have never had this problem again.I hope this helps.

Thanks for the responses, guys. Anybody have any experience with the Nosler 40 grain ballistic tip bullet? Does it have the same issues with "splashing" associated with the V-Max?

I have heard that they are tougher

thinking back my 45s did little damage I had to really look for an exit hole

now being said I have a friend who shoots a 243 with vmax and killed 2 bobcats this year with no exit hole

Shot placement is more important than the bullet. I shoot 39 SBKs with good success. Most are DRT. I have had a couple run off. It has to do with shot placement, not the bullet. Next year I will use the nosler 40 just try something different.

of the two, the 45 SP would be my choice, and hit'em in the shoulder.
Those plastic tipped bullets, V-Max, BK's and BT's, are designed to expand violently/quickly. That's why so many have problems with the "splash" factor.

I prefer berger's. Either the 35 or the 40 both do excellent, and hit'em on the shoulder.

I had slash hits on the back, in the butt, the shoulder, I quit using them. Bergers were better, Nosler is what I use now. Not much fur damage with the latter two.

Back