the perfect AR in 243?

Goldwinger

I'm thinking of buying an AR type rifle in .243 win caliber. I've been doing a little reseach on this idea, but would like some opinions on what would be my best choice and where to get it. Thanks for whatever help and thoughts you've got.

Originally Posted By: transbrakeDTECH!! You can get a AR-15 243 wssm built how you want it.

He said .243 win, not wssm.

DPMS has a LR243L. Which is a light model Also has a lr 243 that is a lot heavier. DPMS is the only place I've found a AR 10 in 243. There is one on Gun Brokers. Search LR243LV. It"s a new gun with a few ad ons. Hope this helps. Good luck.

I just bought a DPMS LR243 and love it, it's a little on the heavy side but shoots sub MOA @ 200yds with hand loads. If I had to do it again I would get the LR243L because it's lighter and has a better trigger.

The DPMS .243 is great!
thumbup.gif

I'm gonna have to have one myself pretty soon!
tt1.gif

Barry

armalite makes a really nice .243 in the ar10 platform but a little on the heavy side. but the craftsmanship is top notch. or look up d9firearms and he can build a .243 any way you want it and he is a great guy to work with.

I for one with a few others on here! Have the R-25 made by DPMS in the 243 winchester and they are very accurate and Dependable

Originally Posted By: pdcjohnsonI just bought a DPMS LR243 and love it, it's a little on the heavy side but shoots sub MOA @ 200yds with hand loads. If I had to do it again I would get the LR243L because it's lighter and has a better trigger.

the real question for the original poster is...why the .243win and not the .243wssm?

my .243WSSM AR shoots sub .5moa at 400m and both my white tails were taken with it at +400m last fall using 75gr vmax. (a light bullet for big game)

i have nothing against the .243win, i'm just curious if there was any reason. I myself looked at the DPMS LR-243L and passed.

probably the top one in the pic, just picking but dpms does make a nice ar 10 the lower one is the lr243s big brother lr308b both are nice pieces the 308 is a touch heavy for carrying a long ways, havent shot the 243 yet but according to everything ive read i wont have a problem with the way it shoots Ron
dpmsar10s.jpg

Originally Posted By: cbass16Originally Posted By: pdcjohnsonI just bought a DPMS LR243 and love it, it's a little on the heavy side but shoots sub MOA @ 200yds with hand loads. If I had to do it again I would get the LR243L because it's lighter and has a better trigger.

the real question for the original poster is...why the .243win and not the .243wssm?

my .243WSSM AR shoots sub .5moa at 400m and both my white tails were taken with it at +400m last fall using 75gr vmax. (a light bullet for big game)

i have nothing against the .243win, i'm just curious if there was any reason. I myself looked at the DPMS LR-243L and passed.

Not to argue with you but perhaps the OP doesn't reload and doesn't have easy access to a big sporting goods store. You'll find 243 win alot more than 243 wssm no matter where you are. If your out in the sticks you won't find 243 wssm period.

As to the original question my vote goes to the R-25, that camo is sweet, just wish the r-25 was available in MAX-1 camo as well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RowdyRawhideOriginally Posted By: cbass16Originally Posted By: pdcjohnsonI just bought a DPMS LR243 and love it, it's a little on the heavy side but shoots sub MOA @ 200yds with hand loads. If I had to do it again I would get the LR243L because it's lighter and has a better trigger.

Not to argue with you but perhaps the OP doesn't reload and doesn't have easy access to a big sporting goods store. You'll find 243 win alot more than 243 wssm no matter where you are. If your out in the sticks you won't find 243 wssm period.

As to the original question my vote goes to the R-25, that camo is sweet, just wish the r-25 was available in MAX-1 camo as well.

The readily available ammo and better quality 243win brass are both BIG advantages to the LR-243, and i completely agree, just wasnt sure if he reloaded or whatever. Even Cabelas in Mitchell SD only carries about 2 kinds of factory 243wssm ammo, but anyone could get it online just as easy.
Anyway, to each his own. yesm, you will be able to get decent 243win just about ANYWHERE, even the local gas station most likely carries it during hunting season.
I actually hate the R15 and R25 BECAUSE of the camo. I'd rather paint or dip my own set up. I dont like someone picking the kind of camo i get.
there are literally hundreds of places online that will dip your AR any camo you can think of.

cbass,

I tend to agree about the camo dip. My paint lasts way longer than the camo dip.

What appeals to me about the DPMS LR243 is that's not too heavy. Most AR 10's I've hefted have all been a turn off because of the weight. But the DPMS is not a turn off..It's quite the opposite.
I like the skeletonized buttstock as well.

Of course choice is what keeps things moving in the free world, and the others are good, I'm sure.

Barry

The R-25 they do shoot well but im going to agree with not liking the camo. There was an armalite AR-10 243 sold in the classifieds here not that long ago and man it was awesome looking rig. I really like armalite ARs. They are very accurate i have had several and have yet to get a not so good of shooter. Its either a D-tec or armalite for me if i have a choice on a new rig. There are lots of others that are really good as well but My 2 cents are the two i listed.

Hey guys, Armalite is probably never a bad way to go (cousin shoots a SuperSASS thats a dime driver), and i know what you mean about the dip not lasting as long, but I'm fairly certain the dipping process done with the R15/R25 line is the same as you would receive from any other dipper, with the acceptation of quality the dipper does. I wanted the most RUGGED LIFE LONG LASTING FINISH I COULD GET, so being the artist I am, I went with a base coat of Cerakote (google it) and will be doing my own custom camo pattern this summer. No way cerakote wont last. Its the real deal.
My upper is a 243WSSM from AccuracySystems and while i've had my issues with it (due completely with my initial inexperience with reloading and AR's) it shoots MUCH better than just about ANY factory AR you will EVER find, it comes with a SUB 1/2 MOA at 100y guarantee, and Sunday I took it out and smashed a 6" steel plate at 400m and all six shots had a Max spread of 1.892"... "thats .452moa at 400m" (the lone shot at the top was my cousin and his .308)
I dont mean for this to turn into an "online weenis measuring contest" but I did want to show what a well built .243WSSM upper is capable of in the hands of a guy that's only been using them a year. AND, AccuracySystems does make a .243Win version. with a nearly as impressive sub .75 sub moa guarantee.

Click the Pic
DSC02547tn.jpg

Last edited:
I am by no means an expert, but this is my real world experience.

I have an r 25 in 243 winchester. I also have "several" other ar configurations.

There is absolutely no real world reason that anyone would choose an ar 10 in 243 over the ar 15 in 243 wssm.

the r25 is much heavier, and the 243 win is ballistically inferior to the 243 wssm.

Its really a no brainer. Load up a mag with wssm ammo and you begin to see just how well this combination works in the ar 15 platform. Shoot one, and youll thank yourself for not droppin all that wasted money on an r25 or ar 10.

My Armalite AR10 in .308 is a great shooter, my uncle has a .243 and it shoots just as good out to 3-400 yds with handloads.

Hey fella's, instead of dipping/painting your rigs have you ever considered getting them Cerakoted? It provides great rust protection and lasts a long, long, long, time.
I have used Amelon coating in Virginia with quick turn around time and a fair price.
Just a thought, I do not wish to get into trouble for any kind of free advertising, I just wanted to let you all know about the product and it's durability, thats all.
Sorry mods if i am out of line, I am still fairly new here.

not to take this thread in another direction but what if someone already has a complete ar upper and wants a .243 wssm. Does all that needs to be done is drop in a new barrel? What about magazines as well?

Back