Product Review: Luna LN-SM50 monocular

TonyTebbe

I had the opportunity to field test the LN-SM50 monocular by Luna Optics over the past few weeks. I must say, I am highly impressed.

These are carried by our PM Sponsor Blind Hunter Supply. If you get a chance, check them out. They are running a special on these for $250 with free shipping.

sm50top-sept09.gif

When the unit arrived in the mail, the first word that came to mind was “Quality”. I’ve used night vision monoculars in the past, but all seemed like a toy compared to this unit. I could just feel the quality in the unit, and I hadn’t even turned on yet. The lens is quite large for good light gathering, great glass and has a built in IR.

Once turned on, I was impressed on how fast the unit booted up. The buttons to power the unit on and power the IR on were well laid out and responsive. It has two focus adjustments on it, one at the eyepiece for major adjustment and another on the lens for fine adjustment. I was impressed with the clarity and light gathering of the unit, especially for being Gen-1. I’ve used Gen-2 and Gen-3 units in the past and I must say, this unit can “run with the big dogs”. The only difference is the clarity at the edge of the field of vision. The IR on the unit lights up well and I could easily pick up eyes of coyotes at 200+ yards.

If you were ever interested in night vision, but the price of Gen-2 and Gen-3 products are just out of reach for you, I believe Luna has a solution for you. While the higher end products are obviously superior, the LN-SM50 monocular will definitely get the job well done for the average predator hunter, at a price point that is very affordable. Now, there is no need to pass up on the night vision category.

I’ll finish by saying that I earn my living by guiding predator hunters. I only use products that are well built, simple to use, and work every time. My LN-SM50 monocular fits that bill and goes everywhere with me in my hunting rig. My clients are extremely impressed on how well the unit works. It has really added a new angle to my night calling.

Sincerely,

Tony Tebbe
Owner – Predator University

Tony, thanks for the report. I know very little about night vision. Is this unit used in conjunction with your regular rifle scope?

I know i looked through it while i was over hunting with TT and i will be getting one in the near future , that thing was clear and lite.

Thanks for the info Tony!! I did not see where they make binoculars for daytime viewing only night, do they offer binoculars for daytime? Thanks!!

DesertRam,

I used the monocular by itself. Comes in really handy as a replacement to using a spotlight, when my hunter has a night vision or thermal vision scope. It allows me to call and spot a coyote in total darkness. I will be saving my pennies for one of their night vision scopes for one of my rifles, after seeing the quality in their intro model.

Berrettaman,

Their website only have night vision products, but I do see a new section with "coming soon" for daytime and nightime products. I would assume it is some new binoculars and scopes that can be used day or night. Not sure on the details.

Thanks...Tony

To answer the daytime question, Luna use to offer day scopes and binoculars but they are going away from them as they want to focus on night vision and have a deal with another company to let them have the day stuff. Anyway i have a few Luna 4-16X day scopes and can get some 10X50 binos that are leftover, great optics too at clearance prices. Tony, i got my Luna LN-PRS40 scope the other day, it is amazing with the Laser IR added to it! Don't want to tempt you and put you in debt lol, but the scope and bino's are alot brighter, larger images and clearer than the monocular!

Great! You ARE trying to get me into debt, aren't you!
smile.gif
smile.gif

After using the monocular, I've already been wanting to buy the scope. I believe there will be one in my arsenal, by next season.
smile.gif

Tony

Maybe their website is down or something. You can find more info on the company in the Sponsor's Specials, etc... forum.

Thanks...Tony

Back