410 slugs

skipnjoe

I have a m6 scout in 22 hornet/ 410.Does the 410 slug have much of a punch to it.Would it have the power to kill the unexpected mountain lion if big kitty suprised me when calling?

That's a tough call, I have an M6 scout and have fired a few slugs through it.
Shooting water filled jugs and the like, they seemed fairly powerful, but I wouldn't want to put a great amount of trust in them.
One word of caution though, I tried some Russian made slugs (Silver Bear) brand and every one split the case and stuck it bad enough that the extractor wouldn't lift them out of the chamber.
Notice there is a small slot on the side of thr "Block" on these guns, it is for using something like a screwdriver to help lift the extractor, when something like this happens.

The newest .410 3" slugs weigh 115 grains and run about 1,400 - 1,600 fps. They are of soft lead and combined with the punkin' ball shape will not penetrate well. I would expect performance to be less than the .30 Carbine which has a jacketed bullet of 110 grains at 1,900 fps. Neither would be my choice for a charge stopper or protection, though lions are reported to not be real tough like a large bear. Could it kill a lion under perfect conditions? Sure, but that being a single shot, ya better be accurate with that dinky little slug. Otherwise, you've made a mess to clean up.

A guy just north of me killed a 240 lb grizz a few years back with just
a .410 and lead shot. It was cleared as justified shooting. So I would say
a lion would easily go down.

It *might* work. Personally I wouldn't be comfortable hunting dangerous animals with a *might*. Especially a single shot *might*.

A 410 with a sabot/slug will no doubt in my mind kill a Cougar. Would I hunt with that on purpose? No.

Hound treed cats often are taken out with much less.

I read a story not too long ago where a guy shot one out of a tree with a .22lr pistol and killed it.He shot it 4 or 5 times in all.It was'nt just a little mountain lion either it was'nt a kitten by any means.Whether or not the story is true or not I dont know but I'd like to think someone would'nt make somethin like that up.But these days you just can't never tell.
From what I hear they aint real tough animals so I'd say a .410 would kill one deader than a doornail.But I'd hate to rely on just one shot.If a mountain lion pounces on you I would think your nerves would'nt exactly be calm enough to hit it on the first shot unless you just got really lucky.I heard somewhere that a 3" .410 slug was about like a hot loaded .357 but I dont know if that is correct or not.Either way,if you shot a mountain lion in the face or behind the shoulder with one from point blank range I doubt it would be doin much of anything ever again.But I'd still choose a semi-auto pistol of some sort over the .410 loaded with slugs.

Last edited:
I got this out of a gun magazine article. Seems like there is a huge performance difference with different ammo manufactors. A lot of difference in slug diameter because of different choked barrels.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BQY/is_6_49/ai_100727291/

Up To The Job?

Penetration and expansion tests were made with the Winchester 42 into water-filled paper cartons at a range of 50 yards. The results showed a tremendous difference in performance between the Foster and Brenneke pattern slugs.

In terms of performance, there is really no comparison. The flat point and hollow point Foster slugs, with Winchester at 93 grains and Remington and Federal at 97 grains are completely outclassed by the 114-grain Brenneke. The Fosters tended to shatter into flat slivers, while the Brenneke maintained its integrity, expanding to .455 inch.

The Brenneke's performance is roughly comparable to a hot, light-bullet load in a .40 S&W pistol. The performance of the Foster slugs is somewhere around the .32 S&W long to .32 H&R Magnum level. The greatest fault with the Foster design is that the slugs come apart after a relatively shallow penetration.

After extensive testing, it's my opinion that the Brenneke is an adequate deer load at close range. The Fosters are strictly for small game. Having said this, it must be admitted that a lot of deer have been taken with the .22 long rifle cartridge and my local gun shop owner told me that one of his customers took one deer a year for eight years with .410 bore Foster slugs. This is hardly a recommendation. That person is no longer living, so no insights into his hunting technique are available.

I have a friend who hunts in Michigan with a .410. just using Remington 2 3/4 inch rounds. He inspired me to try it. I had a scope mounted on my first shotgun. A single shot 410 with full choke. It shoots them very well. Better than expected.

I have killed 5 deer in the last few years with 4 of the 5 making a complete pass through. The 4 were broad side and 50 yards or less.

I got lucky on the 5th one, Made a bad shot and hit it in the hind quarter. Hit the femoral artery and it died in 50 yards. The bullet passed through the hind quarter but lodged in the far quarter.

Frankly I was surprised the combination worked so well. Hope this helps.

I think it will kill it no problem or atleast make it change its mind. The hornet would kill it too.

lots of folks who use hounds shoot the cat out of the tree with .22lr or 22mag because its safer for the hounds.

I would take my 9mm along for backup.I have some 000 bk but in 410 it only has five pellets.Just trying to find a use for the bottom barrel.

Back