.223 small game load?

Bryan8

How can I go about loading a .223 down so I can shoot rabbits and other small sized critters with out ruining much meat?

~Bryan

Yea I have 3 of them, but I wanted a .223 round I can use for small game while calling with my ar, so if I see a rabbit I an change mags and rack a small game load in.

~Bryan

Last edited:
Check Hodgdon`s data with TrailBoss powder.We have shot 4.1gr with a 50gr VMax and it is like a 22LR or maybe just a little more powerful.

Probably will not cycle your action but do not know for fact.

Shoots a little low and very quiet out of the rifle we used which is a M77 Ruger.The 223 was the most consistent performer from 5yds to 50yds.All were acceptable.

Have also shot TrailBoss in .243,270,8x57,and 7.62x54R.Very fun.

I have a better idea, carry a .22lr side arm. Or lots of folks like to use like a 45 with wad cutter I think it is called.

Should be pretty easy to load down to 22mag levels but your sights will be way off. I also doubt it would cycle.

If your ar is acurate can't you just pop em in the head with your coyote load?

or how about a shotgun just keep some bird shot on hand.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bryan8Yea I have 3 of them, but I wanted a .223 round I can use for small game while calling with my ar, so if I see a rabbit I an change mags and rack a small game load in.

~Bryan

Especially using an AR, you're trying to make your life way too complicated.

I'd carry a .22 LR sidearm or just aim for the head of your rabbits. Trying to switch magazines and take one out of the chamber of your AR (I assume you're locked and loaded on stand as I don't imagine you'll want to wrack one in the chamber while calling) to switch to a "rabbit friendly" load just isn't very effective for calling coyotes nor shooting rabbits.

Either aim for the rabbits head with your full power coyote load or carry a pistol...

I don't know what you are shooting or if you care about saving fur, but you could switch to soft points if you aren't already shooting them. They don't expand as violently as hollow points and ballistic tips. You will still have trauma in the immediate area of impact, but that is the case with a .22lr as well. The soft points will almost act as FMJ's on that small of a critter, and leave you a fair amount to eat, and of course always try for head shots when possible. They will still work well on coyotes as long as you are not worried about going through both sides, and they are cheaper. I don't have much experience with AR's, but have hear that some don't like to feed with softpoints, you might want to try a few before you buy bulk.

This is not true for Sierra bullets. Sierra calls their HP bullets the "tough Sierras". They expand much less violently than the soft points and ballistic tips.
Check it out in their X-ring newsletter, available online.

Jack

Originally Posted By: GregWOriginally Posted By: Bryan8Yea I have 3 of them, but I wanted a .223 round I can use for small game while calling with my ar, so if I see a rabbit I an change mags and rack a small game load in.

~Bryan

Especially using an AR, you're trying to make your life way too complicated.

I'd carry a .22 LR sidearm or just aim for the head of your rabbits. Trying to switch magazines and take one out of the chamber of your AR (I assume you're locked and loaded on stand as I don't imagine you'll want to wrack one in the chamber while calling) to switch to a "rabbit friendly" load just isn't very effective for calling coyotes nor shooting rabbits.

Either aim for the rabbits head with your full power coyote load or carry a pistol...

x2, it would be easier to carry another firearm than swap everything around every few minutes.

But really, most of the meat on any animal is in the 1/4s, taking out the midsection with an explosive round isn't going to ruin anything you want to eat.

Back