.270 v-max

podunkcowboy

Anybody load 110 gr v-maxs in a .270 im wanting to roll up some smaller varmint loads, my 140's tear up the yotes bad, im down to 110 gr v-maxs or accubonds any advice?

I know that the accubond would do less damage, ive had great luck with hornady bullets and love the v-max in other calibers, im worried about getting it to stabilize because its so short. Do you have any experience with the accubonds accuracy?

The .270 110gr. V-Max is an excellent bullet. We took 500 rounds on a P-Dog shoot three years ago as our heavy gun/load for the wind. Loaded in a .270 Winchester with a good load of Varget it was hard to beat. The twist in that particular rifle is 1:9.5; it was cut by Kreiger. That particular V-Max has plenty enough bearing area to be plenty accurate and easy to load straight. It will stabilize fine in any commercially available barrel.

On Coyote size game, the 110gr. V-Max is pretty impressive at .270 Winchester Velocities. The only dog I have killed with that bullet from a high velocity cartridge was from a .270 AI. The shot was only 75 yards and dog looked like you ran him through a corn cutter. Accuracy has been acceptable in all of the cartridges I have tried this bullet in.
John

I shot them as well for a bit in out of Sako in .270 Win. Accuracy was fine with them shooting them on paper out to 300yrds. I only shot 3 Coyotes with them though and then changed. Every one I shot looked like it ate and hand grenade. I came to stick with Sierra's 110grn Spitzer. It shoots very well and doesn't blow up the 'Yotes too bad......for a .270

Good Shootin'
Tim

I shot 110 v max bullets out of a 270wsm at 3550fps. they performed great and accuracy was excellent, if you are not worried abour fur then you will love them!! My rifle was a savage 12fvss Im not sure what the twist rate was but the light (for caliber) bullets were not a problem.

Tested the v-maxs saturday, with 57 gr IMR 4831 and a federal magnum rifle primer i shot a .95 in three shot group the colder loads shot tighter groups but as i am hunting with it I figure thats tight enough.

Back