Time someone writes a book.

yoteslayer0927

This is for all of you that train decoy dogs.....I think it's time one of you writes a comprehensive how to book....I'd be more than happy to help edit......Just a thought......

After that article duane, i've been waiting for a book. I was hoping that was like a weekly write up. You could help a ton of people out and maybe make a couple bucks doing so.

I agree with them Duanne, I think with all of your knowledge and Graingers I think you guys could colaborate your knowledge and get it done.

When do you start, what do you look for, when do you look for this to start. That is the basis of a good book. You could throw in pics and get it done.

I know it easy for me to nominate you, but lets not beat around the bush, you know dogs........

gonzaga

Originally Posted By: Duane@ssuI don't know if I'm qualified, I'm just a cowboy with a few dogs. But I have given the idea some thought.

You are one talented person that could get the job done. I think you should do it. I have known alot of cowboys and still do. You are more than "just a cowboy with a few dogs".

As much hunt'n experience you have with hounds, heck just a book on hunting stories would be a seller....
Rick H...

Originally Posted By: Dustballs
You are one talented person that could get the job done. I think you should do it. I have known alot of cowboys and still do. You are more than "just a cowboy with a few dogs".

I agree. Duane has a bunch of coyote dog experience and is "ten times the hunter than others will ever be".

Go for it Duane.

Tony

Originally Posted By: Duane@ssuI don't know if I'm qualified, I'm just a cowboy with a few dogs. But I have given the idea some thought.

Duane, I'd much rather read something written by a cowboy with a few dogs than a PhD anyday. The folks who'll be reading it will relate to you. Go for it!

Please write the book Duane. I was able to train a fairly agressive "tolling" dog After just talking to you once on the phone. So I know you have a ton of information on this subject that I would love to study intently.

Jack in Missouri

I am humbled by all the kind words. Thanks to all of you.
I'm gonna kinda "let the cat outta the bag" Right now I'm working on a "highlights video". No education, very little commentary, just "flat out gettin it done".
I only have a certain amount of time. Once I am done with this, and get the "finished product I'm after", I'll give some thought to my next project.
As I said before,"We'll just see what happens."

I say better to learn from someone who is doing it everyday and allday.

I think Duanne, Tebbe, Grainger and some others around here could put it together and make a go of it.

I hope you don't take this the wrong way.And I would be the first one to buy Duanne's book and video.
But what would this book be about? What Duanne Uses a dog for and I use a dog for are 2 different dogs. Duanne and I have talked about this before. Quess my question would be is what would you like to see in this book, as far as dog work goes? Many of you are from different parts of the country and What someone in oklahoma calls a decoy dog, I may not.
Lets hear your ideas of a decoy dog. Alot of guys would call a decoy dog, a dog in a picture sitting next to a dead coyote.
I think this would help anyone taking on the task of writing this book.

Duane manages a ranch ..... you have no idea how that ties you down.

What with all his other irons in the fire ...... his "plate" is already over briming!

If he were to embark upon the book you seek ...... few would really understand the sacrifices he'd make to make it happen ...........

That said, it would be ONE [beeep] OF A READ!

Three 44s

I have only been doing this about a year so this is what I use my dogs for. At first it started I got a pup. I would take her calling with me. She would be out wandering around in front of me. Then one day I found a den with pups in it. I snuck in close and gave my best pup yelps and in no time at all a pissed off coyote came in to eat my 8 month old pup. The pup ran behind me and hid. From that day on she would not leave my side when calling. I bought a started dog from Duane. I took him out in the first part of Sept with my pup. They usually are out running around. I called in a pair and my pup got her butt kicked by one and came back to me that coyote bugged out. Zipper was off chasing a coyote. I got him back and the coyote followed him back to the gun. We did this 4 times. That is one example I can give more but this is all ready long. If I am calling and a coyote hangs up and the dogs see it they will go out and confront it. Sometimes the coyote follows the dogs back some not. The end result is usually my dogs sitting next to a dead coyote in a picture. I am not good enough to get the action video yet. This winter I have played [beeep] getting any coyotes to come in. But if I wound one that i shoot from the truck I turn the dogs out. They will either hold it at bay or kill it. I have found the dogs work real well in spring, summer and early fall so I am not too worried about my poor success this winter. I love killing coyotes but watching the dogs run a coyote and then that coyote follow the dogs back to me is great. You are right Devin this would be a good topic. So lets hear it, what does everyone use there dogs for.

Originally Posted By: Devin69I hope you don't take this the wrong way.And I would be the first one to buy Duanne's book and video.
But what would this book be about? What Duanne Uses a dog for and I use a dog for are 2 different dogs. Duanne and I have talked about this before. Quess my question would be is what would you like to see in this book, as far as dog work goes? Many of you are from different parts of the country and What someone in oklahoma calls a decoy dog, I may not.
Lets hear your ideas of a decoy dog. Alot of guys would call a decoy dog, a dog in a picture sitting next to a dead coyote.
I think this would help anyone taking on the task of writing this book.

Good point...but it doesn't have to be just the narrow scope of decoying w/ a dog . I don't consider a dog that sits while calling to really be a decoy dog or a 'toller'...doesn't mean that the dog doesn't have a purpose though. When I first started taking a dog with me, it was my veteran duck dog Fisher. He knows that when the boss sits down and starts making funny noises, he is to sit until he has a job to do. But know what I learned real quick ? That I missed a heck of alot of coyotes that came in due to not seeing them. Fisher would scent or hear/see the coyotes coming in and stand up and growl, he would indicate the coyote coming in and I dumped alotta coyotes in front of Fisher. But he isn't what I consider a decoy dog....more like a sentry.

In my mind, a decoy/toller should be roaming out and actively engaging the coyotes as they respond ; stringing them along and keeping the coyote occupied.That's what I picture, anyway.

I have experience with dogs and coyotes but not much with this Decoy/Tolling deal, but I am hooked. I have talked at length to many of the regulars here. Those really cool dogs in my Avatar belong to Dustballs. I am on the hunt for what can be the best pup for me. (Devin, I sent you a PM)

The way I see it a Decoy dog is one who will sit with me on a stand keep a sharp eye out and give the coyote something to look at so as to draw his attention away from me. The dogs that actively go out and engage coyotes to bring them in would be a Tolling dog. Of course both have to be my "Best Friend."

I am not sure which will be best for me. Gonna do something, even if it's wrong.

Decoy vs. Tolling dog. Am I wrong, right, way off, even close?

Is this question a chapter in the book Duane?
unsure.gif

Back in the late 70's through early eighties I had a dog that was a airidale mutt. Not sure what he was crossed with. At that time he was used mostly for working cattle. He was also my trap dog and always went calling with me. I didn't even know there was such a thing as a decoy dog back then. He would sit next to me or sometimes move around close by. he always knew before me when coyotes or cats were around. He was great on trailing down wounded animals or finding my trapped animals on drags. Coyotes would often see him moving around and come in not paying any attention to me. He was a great companion and a great all around working dog. I would love to have anouther but working in an office now I don't feel I can dedicate the time to train and use a working dog properly. When the dogs I have now are gone and I am closer to retiring. I will get anouther to train. Working dogs need a lot of time, exercise and use or both the dog and you are going to be frustrated.

drscott

I think a solid focus, for the sake of sales, should be on the recreation caller aspect. Chapter 1 types of dogs and what to look for in breeding and traits. Chapter 2 different styles and uses, ie-trollers, sitters, recovery, etc.Chapter 3 training dogs to your style of hunting and mentioning the type of training equipment needed, like collars, etc. Chapter 4 goverment guys and how they use their dogs. Chapter 5 how to care for your dog, shots, hurt feet, porqupines, etc. You could get some of the well known recreational and goverment guys to add a little of there knowledge as well. Just a few of my thoughts.

Back