Which .223 bullet for coyotes?

Str8Shooter

I've been using the 55 gr. V-Vax this year with pretty good results but still have had 3-4 that ran off after the shot. In each case I shot them, they hit the ground like a ton of bricks, I'd scope them to make sure they were down and keep calling. After 2-3 minutes they got up and started running away.

It has me a little perplexed?? They didn't spin or anything, just dropped like a ton of bricks. The load I'm shooting is 25.5 gr. of Benchmark behind a 55 gr. V-max. Accuracy with the load is awesome, keeping 3 shots inside of 2" at 200 yds. I'm wondering if I'm getting splashes with the bullet? Today I shot a skunk at 95 yds and when I went to check it out the thing was a mess. It looked like the bullet didn't penetrate much but just plain blew up. I know I'm speculating, just trying to figure out what to do differently for next year.

hi,,,i shoot the hornady #2266 55 grain soft point behind a heavy dose of IMR 4895,,,since i don't save the fur,i generally take a shoulder shot and have never had one run on me,,,with this combination its one shot and one dead.

Last edited:
Plastic tip bullets are opening too fast, try the 55gr Sierra hp, works for me, after having problems with plastic tips. ed

Originally Posted By: Str8ShooterI've been using the 55 gr. V-Vax this year with pretty good results but still have had 3-4 that ran off after the shot. In each case I shot them, they hit the ground like a ton of bricks, I'd scope them to make sure they were down and keep calling. After 2-3 minutes they got up and started running away.

It has me a little perplexed?? They didn't spin or anything, just dropped like a ton of bricks. The load I'm shooting is 25.5 gr. of Benchmark behind a 55 gr. V-max. Accuracy with the load is awesome, keeping 3 shots inside of 2" at 200 yds. I'm wondering if I'm getting splashes with the bullet? Today I shot a skunk at 95 yds and when I went to check it out the thing was a mess. It looked like the bullet didn't penetrate much but just plain blew up. I know I'm speculating, just trying to figure out what to do differently for next year. Try some 55gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips. Have heard that they are a little more less to splash then the Hornady V-max.

Try using the Sierra 40 gr HP; with a higher speed (at 1 grain below max loads it is near/past 3600 FPS in the 223) it may do better than a 55gr. Vmax. This Sierra is a bit tougher i.e. less frangible than plastic tipped Noslers and Vmax', yet still mushrooms well in the .223 (and 22/250).

Other good alternatives in the .223 - for the same reasons - are the Speer 52 gr. HP, Hornady 50 and 55 gr. SPSX, and the Sierra 50 gr. Blitz.

Quote:700xcr Try some 55gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips. Have heard that they are a little more less to splash then the Hornady V-max.

Have had excellent results with this bullet in the .223 Rem. @ 3300 fps. on both coyotes, bobcats.

Regards,
hm

I've just worked up some loads using a 50gr Sierra Spitzer (SP) for one of my ARs with 26.7gr of Ramshot TAC....It should prove to be a 'killer' of a round at about 3300fps..But it will be a while before I get to test it out..

The noslers are a tougher bullet they will penetrate Better then the v-max. I have not had a runner yet useing 50 and 55gr ballistic tips. I have with v-maxes. I run 25.5gr benchmark pushing a 50gr Nosler BT with excellent results. I loaded up some 40gr nosler BT running 27.8gr benchmark (this is near max load) and shot a coyote the other day and it tore it up pretty dam bad. shot it looking at me in the chest and it exited with a silver dollar size hole behind the shoulder. the yote was DRT on the spot. I was impressed with the 40s granted it was only about 70 to yrds max. I really think if you switch to noslers you wont have the run off problems.

Sierra #1330, its not sexy and cute with little colored tips, it just works. Blows two holes through a coyote from any angle.

Originally Posted By: erickgSierra #1330, its not sexy and cute with little colored tips, it just works. Blows two holes through a coyote from any angle. not sure of the 1330's but i've switched to the 1365's (55 bsp) and i think i have FINALLY found the perfect coyote bullet.i've been shooting 50-55 ballistic tips for years and have had lots of bad expeiriences with them

thanks for all of the great advice guys, I've also heard good things about the Speer 52 gr. hp. It looks like I'll be putting some time in at the range this summer.

Originally Posted By: Str8Shooter
The load I'm shooting is 25.5 gr. of Benchmark behind a 55 gr. V-max. Accuracy with the load is awesome, keeping 3 shots inside of 2" at 200 yds.

I tried that exact same load in my RRA, my one and only test was 5 shots in .665". Thats plenty accurate for my use but I have not tried them on coyotes. My buddy has made 3 one shot kills with the 55 this year, which is my only 1st hand experience with it. I've been shooting the 60gr Vmax with 24.5gr Benchmark the last 2 years with good DRT results, but they can be hard on fur depending on shot placement. A couple have required follow up shots (my fault) but not one of the 20 some yotes hit with it have escaped when hit by the 60's.
A couple old timers I hunt with swear by the various 52gr HP's for saving fur but I have not tried them yet. I suppose I should get around to it as I really need something that wont grenade a red fox.

thats what a vmax does; Splat. If you are looking for something that won't blow as big a hole the hide hunters around here shoot the 45 gr. Banded Barnes. little hole all the way through.

Back