can you call beavers?????

yotehunter57

Seriously now, can it be done? On WTs site they list sounds for calling beavers. I have a farmer with beaver problem asking me to kill them. I'm looking at a WT call and wondered if I should get the 2 beaver sounds and lose 2 coyote or crow sounds. Does anybody know if it is possible. No beaver jokes please! OK, just a few then.

Originally Posted By: yotehunter57 Seriously now, can it be done? On WTs site they list sounds for calling beavers. I have a farmer with beaver problem asking me to kill them. I'm looking at a WT call and wondered if I should get the 2 beaver sounds and lose 2 coyote or crow sounds. Does anybody know if it is possible. No beaver jokes please! OK, just a few then.

I know in 1969 a Pontiac GTO worked pretty good.

Seriously, some states it is against the law to shoot them. Trapping only. I don't think they would respond to a call very well.

Most states, it's illegal to shoot them. Get your self a couple traps and take em' out the right way.
It wouldn't be a "call" like you're thinking but get some Castor based trapping lure, they WILL check it out, and if you're there at the right time, you'll have your chance at them.
I sell trap supplies, doesn't take much to get enough gear to take care of a few Beavers, send me a PM with your address if you'd like a catalog.
A tanned Beaver Pelt makes a great display for in the Man room, gun room or den.

There is a hunting season for beaver, nutria and muskrat in Arkansas. The beavers have got in one of the farmers reserviors and are denning in the levee and doing lots of damage. He's paying $20 apiece on top of the bounty.

Never tried. I do know if you want to just hunt them, your best bet is to take a stand just before dawn and/or dusk. They are real active then, and you will probably get a shot at them. Try to shoot them on land or in shallow water if you want them, because they sink/dive when shot, and if in deep water you will probably never see them again.

I 2nd the trapping. Someone else can do it if your not set up for it. States treat then differently, as to legal control methods. Evening & 1st light would be the best time to get a crack at one. They won't hand around long to allow much of an opportunity. Most sounds you could make would be more of a warning to them.

You need to hit them hard before they wise up when serious control is called for. That is a good number of sets, usually with 330 conibears. We have some camp property where beavers are plugging pipes all the time. More move in when there is a vacancy. They are usually hit hard in the Fall. A true troublesome beaver problem calls for unconventional methods & year round seasons. Of course farmers are usually given slack dealing with problem critters.

I went fishing this morning at a private lake (3acres +or-) and I couldn't believe how many trees the beavers had fell.
On an island, they fell one that was 18" in diameter. Numerous smaller trees were down all around the lake.

At first, I thought someone had thinned the tress out to get better casts without hanging up in a limb. As I walked around, I noticed the signature gnawing marks on the stumps.

I couldn't believe so much damage was done in less than a year.

BTW, there's an open season and no limits on beavers here in Tn. Hmmm...I see a different kind of hunting coming soon to a lake near me.
thumbup.gif

Sure you can call them in. Find the dam and tear a section up to allow water to flow over, the more the better, and sit back and relax while the sun sets then get ready because they will come to repair the dam! Simple as that!

the wt sounds has worked for me at times and at times it doesnt, use the sounds and a boat paddle slapped on the water right before dark is your best bet

Originally Posted By: TimMThe sound of two $100 bills rubbing together usually works.

Its all I can do to resist. Don't push it
smile.gif
Tim.

Originally Posted By: TimMThe sound of two $100 bills rubbing together usually works.
Takes a lot more than this to have them come a running in these parts...

Never heard of calling them. Frontiersman has it about right. I always wait until they are mostly or completely out of the water. I have a LVSF 22-250 that really does the job. The best advice is to leave the rimfire at home and shoot them hard the first time you see them, even if you have to really wait them out. They go from stupid to dam smart (pun intended) the first time you miss them.

Tear apart their dams a little, so that water starts pouring over loudly and then just wait until nightfall. They'll be out there working to fix the leaks and you can pick them off downstream of the dam. An old timer told me about this idea, haven't tried it myself, but makes sense.

break a trench in their dam with a pick axe just before dark. and sit back and hide. theyll come out to fix it as soon as its almost hard to see out. worked for me last fall, got 3 in just a few days.

Back