Mil-dot vs. Nikoplex

yfzduner450

I'm purchasing a new scope for the gun i won from Duane. My budget is $500 bucks and i'm looking for the best scope for the buck. I've kind of narrowed it down to the Nikon Monarch, i just don't know what reticle to get. All help will be appreciated, also if any other scopes would be better for me, i'd like to know that too. Thanks, Jeremy

I shoot the new nikon coyote special and nikons bdc. I say get coyote if your hunting with as im sure you are. Any of the concerns others have had with it are falicy ex." cant shoot groups with it". They work exceptionaly well. Not to mention they are well within your budget.

I've shot the bdc's and they work surprisingly well. However I picked the nikoplex because I feel its abit more versatile if I choose to mount it on a different rifle or use it for a different purpose, ie targets. Nikon makes good stuff no matter which model you choose.

I have one of each. The Mil-Dot is in a 3.3-10x44 AO Monarch. I love it and use it for everything from foxes up to deer. Just remember the Nikon Mil-dot is in the second focal plane, so the measurements only line up right on one power setting. In mine it subtends 3.6" at 100 yards on 10x only. My understanding,(as advised by a rep at Midway, FWIW), that the higher mag scopes are set to work on 12x. If you get the Mil-dot, I highly recommend getting a Mil-dot Master and learning how to use it.

The Nikoplex is pretty standard, but I like it better than Leupy's duplex and WAY better than their fine duplex. Mine is in a 6-24x50SF Monarch.

I feel both reticles naturally draw your eye to center quite quickly and effectively. The Mil-dot has the advantage of acting as a back up rangefinder.

If you can, look through both and see what you like best.

Let me know if you have any other questions I might be able to answer.

Thanks for all the help guys, after talking to the salesmen at sportsmen's warehouse, i decided to get the bdc. It seems easier to use and better for the hunting application. It'll be on a 22-250, so the circles should be very accurate.

Mildots are really only use full if you know how to use them, they are very difficult for me to understand and the BDC is just easier for me. Remember the BDC,s POI will change with the power setting to and you really need to try the differant range setting to see how close they come to being on.

I tried Mil-dot once and didn't care for it.I think it would be fine for bench shooting but for hunting I like to keep things as simple as possible.

Back