A Question on tapered bases ???

WEATHERBY460

If I want more up/down adjustment from a scope, so i can dial in different yardages, (using tikka 2 pc flat weaver bases), can I just mill off some material from the front base, like .020", or do I take .020" of of both bases? This is a 24x burris scope. Thanks Also, will I need special plastic insert offset rings like burris, if I just take .020" off the front base? Thanks

Not an expert on this but I believe the point of a tapered base is to have a taper to the base. Not take the same material off both bases. I would definitly lap your rings if you do this to make sure you do not damage your scope.

Milling bases seems to be quite a big deal and how are you going to keep the bottom angle as it was designed so it sits on the gun properly? If you examine some bases that have .20 built in, you will see they are taller in the front. Buy those or get Burris Signature rings and use different size inserts to get what you want?

Get the Burris signature Z rings with the offset inserts and they will fit on your weaver bases. Put the plus .010 in the rear and the minus .010 in the front and that will give you an extra 20 inches at 100 yds.
Tarey

Back