Remington 770

Yippie DoG

i just want to talk about the remington 770 bolt action rifle.. i made the mistake about not reading reviews before i bought the gun but i thought a remington was an all around good brand. i only ever owned one remignton that was a 870 express mag wich was ok but i sold it. anyway this rifle should be an embarassment to this company.. the bolt was unbelivably stiff and loose and rough and everything a bolt shouldnt be. i never even fired it. when i had that problem i got on the net and read reviews and wow no one had much good to say about it and 98 percent of complaints was the bolt issue. i took it to the local gun shop and traded it in on a cheap new stevens rifle. i took a 100 dollar loss and like i said i never even fired it.. ill never buy a remington again because this is redicules. dragging their name thru the mud bad with this one. stay away

The 770 Is the cheapest Remington that you can buy and it shares nothing with the 700. The 770 has a different action than the 700 and has a none adjustable trigger. The Barrel on the 770 is button rifled where the where the 700 is hamer forged. It is cheaper to button rifle a barrel than to hammer forge it. The 770 is what it is a cheap entry level gun.

Kinda agree with kdad73. The 770 is an entry level rifle and also a POS. You got what you paid for. Not doing your home work is not Remingtons fault. I once bought a 30-30 lever gun thinking it was a Marlin. I was with-out my glass's that day. Turned out to be monkey wards. Lost my arse on that deal, but it wasn't Marlins or Mont. Wards fault. Oh well, that the way it goes.

how the barrel is rifled is a non issue. There's nothing wrong with button rifling & some of the top custom barrels you can buy are so made.

Actually Hammer forging is the cheapest way to manufacture a barrel once you get past the cost of the hammer forge itself. It costs the manufacturer less than $15 per barrel all up cost including the blueing.

NO custom barrel maker has hammer forged barrels, many DO have button rifled barrels.

Originally Posted By: Yippie DoGi just want to talk about the remington 770 bolt action rifle.. i made the mistake about not reading reviews before i bought the gun but i thought a remington was an all around good brand. i only ever owned one remignton that was a 870 express mag wich was ok but i sold it. anyway this rifle should be an embarassment to this company.. the bolt was unbelivably stiff and loose and rough and everything a bolt shouldnt be. i never even fired it. when i had that problem i got on the net and read reviews and wow no one had much good to say about it and 98 percent of complaints was the bolt issue. i took it to the local gun shop and traded it in on a cheap new stevens rifle. i took a 100 dollar loss and like i said i never even fired it.. ill never buy a remington again because this is redicules. dragging their name thru the mud bad with this one. stay away Can't blame Remington. You just didn't do the research. Just like any other company. They look at what the majority buys and make a product they can sell to average Joe can afford. I work for John Deere and we had to lower our standards on some models of tractors to compete with Ford New Holland on compact utility tractors. We still sell the higher end tractor too. Just like Remington and other manufactures.So you need to put the blame where the blame belongs.

Originally Posted By: 700xcrCan't blame Remington. You just didn't do the research.
So you need to put the blame where the blame belongs.

Ouch!
blink.gif

I haven't had any problems with any of my remingtons. I haven't seen or shot that gun, but I have a 22-250 700 SPS and LOVE it. I have 2 700 BDL's 243 & 7mm Mag and don't have any problems or complaints. So I wouldn't say to run their name in the ground for one mistake.

Remington's have a LONG history of great performing, great shooting rifles. The Rem 710 and 770's are to fill the niche of cheap, yet effective firearms. Ready to hunt out of the box. Notice I said hunt not make bug holes. Are they gonna shoot sub MOA all day, most likely not. Will they go bang and kill the animal if the shooter does their part, yes. Remington is still one of the most popular, if not THE most popular, firearm maker in the US. They have made over 10 million 870 pump shot guns, and many, many Model 700's. You made a poor choice on the 770, no doubt about it. Better research next time and see what comes out. I am willing to bet 770 wont come up when "Quality" or "Fit-and-Finish" are factors in your research.

i have a 770 and yes its not the greatest rifle out their but i didnt have the funds for a great rifle or i would have bought the 700 or the T/C but its a good pick up rifle for those times you wouldn't want to put your good guns threw like pooring down rain crawling threw the mud, it dont hurt my feelings to put the 770 threw [beeep] and i do get 2.5" pattern at 200 yards that still kills. if you expected a great you should expect to pay more than $389 exp. since it comes with a scope.

my brother has one in 243 its ugly and the bolt is horrible but it will shoot under an inch all day with 100 grain winchesters and 58 grain v maxes at the same poi so mabey you should have shot the gun.

Stu Farish and nmleon,
I never said that there was anything wrong with button rifled barrels. As you both stated most custom rifle barrel are button rifled. Just stated that it was a cheeper way to rifle a barrel. Everything that i have read states that it takes less time to push the button through the bore than it does to hammer the barrel around the mandrel. I know that you can not always believe what you read.

i know i should have done research but like i said i thought since it was a remington it would at least function properly. like mossberg has the maverick wich is a lower end gun but i own several mossbergs and one maverick. the maverick is just as good. i also own savages.. and their lower end stevens...not one problem with either.. but like isaid a remington... that should mean something but ya i messed up by not researching it.. lesson learned now ill have to research every gun i buy

I have a 243 in 770 and i mean to tell you it shoots. I have it sighted in for 58 gr v-maxes and it does clover leafs at 100yds with those bullets and the 75 gr v-maxes. I do agree it is no 700 though.

If you search the internet you will find all kinds of negative information on the 770. I had seen the gun at Wally World and had researched it. From all of the negative stuff I decided to stay away from it.

Lo and behold, the wife had decided to surprise me for Christmas and guess what I got? Yep. I didn't want to say anything but I thought this was going to be bad. Well, the gun may not have a smooth expensive looking bolt or barrel, or stock for that matter but what it does do is shoot where I expect it to everytime. I use the cheap Walmart Winchester 150 gr bullets (30-06) and when I put the crosshairs on an animal I have every faith it's going to go down. Sure I could upgrade but for the limited amount I shoot a 30-06 each year I feel there's no need to spend money when I can use it for other toys.

Now if I was going to spend my own money on a low-priced rifle I would look at the Marlin XL7

Here's a perfectly good example of why Predator Masters is a KICK AZZ web page. All you need to do is ask a question and you can bet one of us here as tried it or know something about it. Some answers will be bad, some will be good and some will be great. Then there are the ones you hollar B--- S---!!!!! Still a great place to be.

Well this is just my .02. I have made alot of mistakes when it comes to buying guns but I own the 715 sportsman (before the 770). It is a very cheap gun but that is what I wanted when I bought it (truck gun). I have the Tikka, CZ'S and Savages. I love all of those guns and would'nt give them up for nothing. But with reloading on my 715 I can get a 3/4 in group out of it and it works great for me and does a number on coyotes. But in the long run if you want a $500 dollar gun buy one if you want $1000 gun buy one but don't try to make a $300 one into one of the more expensive one.

You got some bad info Kdad73.

Here's an article you might enjoy http://www.firearmsid.com/Feature%20Articles/RifledBarrelManuf/BarrelManufacture.htm

The info is a little dated on the hammer forging, my net connection is too slow to go looking for it, but there's a video (Remington maybe?) showing the hammer forging process.

In the video, 6 or 8 tubes of steel (blanks) are put onto mandrils on the forge, and the the machine starts hammering the bejazus out of them. 15 or 20 seconds later (literally) the barrels are done.

Back