The Continuing Saga of Spike and the Encore!

Silverfox

Posted for Spike:

This morning, March 11, I went back to the spot where I could not find the coyote that I shot at and hit the other day. Here's a photo of some of the country I was calling in.

Scenery--3-11-04.jpg

I called for forty minutes with my FoxPro and was about to give up when I saw this coyote on edge a small ridge. I thought he was coming my way but he just stayed in the same spot.

Naturally the adrenaline started flowing and I thought that he would have to come closer before there would be a chance of a good shot. The longer he stayed in the same spot the more I tried to get the pistol in a steady position. I tried every call the fox pro had plus the mouse squeaker without luring him away from whatever it was that held him in that spot. When I figured he was not going to come to the call, I decided to try a shot when the pistol settled down.

Here is a photo of the rock I rested my Encore on during the shot:

Encore_Rock-Solid_Rest--3-11-04--small.jpg

I had checked the sight the other day and she was 3" high at 70 yards, I had no idea of the distance because of the irregularities in the terrain. I held the pistol down tight on the cushion and put the cross hairs near the top of his back. I squeezed the trigger and when the encore fired the sight picture was lost, but I heard that familiar “THUD” of a hit. He started yelping and when I could get a bead on him again I shot a finishing shot, but do not remember hearing thud. What ever happened he stopped trying to get up.

When I paced off the distance I discounted lots of steps because of the uneven terrain and still came up with 283 yards. If I had known that was the distance I never would have fired the shot. From where the coyote died I looked back at the rock and could not believe the distance. I guess it’s better to be lucky than good.

Here's the Encore and another of it's victims!

Coyote_Encore_FoxPro--3-11-04--small.jpg

I took a picture of what had held the coyote’s attention but it did not come out. The object was a deer foot and eight inches of shin bone. I was offering a juicy rabbit, a fawn, a woodpecker and puppies. I guess if we knew how coyotes think they would be extinct.

Finally, here's a photo of the coyote caller and Encore shooter extrodinaire--Spike himself:

Spike_coyote--3-11-04--small.jpg

For those of you who are not familiar with Spike's weapon, it is an Encore .223 caliber with a 15" barrel. The scope is a 2x model. He shoots 50 gr. Hornady bullets that leave the muzzle at around 2,850 fps. He has it sighted in to be about 3" high at 70 yards, so at 285 yards it is about 4" low. I know lots of folks with rifles and high powered scopes who couldn't pull off that shot and our Spike does it with his little Encore!! Whooooeeee Doggy!!! Great job Spike!

You da man Spike! Incredible country, thanks for sharing those photos too. It's nice to see the countryside folks are hunting. You've got me putting a .223 barrel on my wish-list. Congratulations on another nice coyote and on the amazing shot.

Great shooting Spike ! I hear your the fastest encore in the west keep shooting them coyotes. Spike is that the longest encore shot todate? Sandman

spike I told some of people that I work with about this dead eye with a pistol. Great story loved the pics as well. Keep um comming

Next try picking an aspirin out of the air with that thing.....we're not worthy, we're not worthy, we're not worthy.....Congrats again and what a pleasure to hunt such awesome terrain.

Purplepride

silverfox, thank you for the excellent job you do of posting the pictures for me. Wyoming's pony express likes to horse around with posting pictures.

sandman, yes that is the encores longest shot to date. If that convenient rock was not there the shot would not have been possible. the way the pistol settled down on the cushion was similar to a good sand bag rest. I prefer the coyotes under 100yds, better yet 50yds it's a lot more exciting.

fox buster, you better stop spreading tales. the encore is amazingly accurate even for an average shooter like myself.

happy hunting spike

Spike,
I'm not sure you and I can get along.
First you are overpopulating an already over populated territory and then you go out and start decimating the natural predator population there. I know you just have to be a male with undoubtedly a European lineage using sporting rifles designed to give you a clear advantage over the wildlife you pursue with murderous intent. At least you handicap yourself a tad by hacking off the buttstock so as not to appear too vile. But I believe that the most grievous crime that you have committed is have all that fun and not inviting me to join in! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif
PS, if you say "Sorry, Christopher, and oh yes, will you come out to play?" I think my soreness towards you can be abated. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Christopher, after reading your reply, I thought That hostility was your primary concern. upon farther review I come to the conclusion that envy is what I detect. first I would like to speak in my defence. I go out calling because there is an open invitation. ( coyote howls) It would be inpolite to ignore the howls by staying inside a warm house. I know you won't believe what I'm about to write but the howls are saying please come out to this cold, lonely place where food is scarce and send me ( the howler) to a happy hunting ground. so what can I do? I go out in the cold and try to accommodate them. I usually go alone because there are few people like myself that are considerate enough to do so. any time that you would like to oblige the poor cold howlers let me know. spike

Christopher, after reading your reply, I thought That hostility was your primary concern. upon farther review I come to the conclusion that envy is what I detect. first I would like to speak in my defence. I go out calling because there is an open invitation. ( coyote howls) It would be inpolite to ignore the howls by staying inside a warm house. I know you won't believe what I'm about to write but the howls are saying please come out to this cold, lonely place where food is scarce and send me ( the howler) to a happy hunting ground. so what can I do? I go out in the cold and try to accommodate them. I usually go alone because there are few people like myself that are considerate enough to do so. any time that you would like to oblige the poor cold howlers let me know. spike

Dear Mr. Spike, Sir,
I stand humbled and repentant with hat in hand begging your pardon for the outburst of jealousy demonstated in my earlier post. Yes, your discernment in recognizing my true attitude only exposes your maturity and outstanding charactor that I tried to assassinate in my childish and selfish typographical rampage. Please forgive my foolishness.
That said, I too am a very considerate member of the human race to the laughing dog and wish to ablige them when they call to me in their wild way. I have a brother in Loveland, Co that gets home sick ever so often causing me to exersize my brotherly kindness and make the trip west to alleviate him of the illness. If you would be open to allowing a bland flatlander from the midwest to accompany you over those wonderful hills to say "hello" to your sing canines I would be honored. Christopher

Christopher, since you have shown your true feelings, and they are in agreement with mine, I have a request to make. Is it possible that you and your brother could carry that rock in the above photo for me so that I might be able to pull off another once in a life time shot? If you say "yes" I'd be more than willing to take you with me. happy hunting spike

Spike! You da man! Silverfox, thanks for the great story and pics! I always enjoy your posts and have learned a lot from you the last couple of years.

I am going to purchase a pistol (.223 caliber) for hunting the songdogs this next season. (I doulbed my take of doggies this year and did not hunt during January so I am feeling pretty cocky! See post 31 of PA's What's your number?) Would appreciate some tips on pistol selection from Spike and or you! I will send you an email to ask some questions etc., or should I email spike? I do not have his email. Thanks, Paul

deaddog--I know nothing, nada, zero, zilch, zip about pistols /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif I hope Spike gets back to you. Better yet, why don't you post some questions in the Firearms Forum! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Spike I am sorry to be the one to tell you I see a defect in your encore pistol i am sure you cant see it so if you send it to me I would be happy to make sure it is a ok it will only take a year or two and I will have it right back to you. Sandman

sandman, now that you brought it to my attention I realize what it is, "my hand" on the pistol grip. since I can't send the faulty part (it's attached to an old body) so I guess that I'll have to work with the unfixable problem. thanks for bringing it to my attention. spike

Back