Shilen barrels

I was thinking of putting a Shilen select match barrel on my Remi VSSF 204. The factory barrel is a disappointment. Anybody have any experience with Shilen?

At last count, I have had dozens of them. Top quality at a decent price. I have another on order right now. Most of my transducer barrels were cut by Shilen.
John

You sure it's your factory barrel? I'm sure it could be but, my 243 700ADL was the second worst shooting rifle I have ever owned, #1 was a Rem mod 7.

After completely opening up the stock and completely redoing the bedding including adding pillars and putting on a steel trigger guard, it shoot's very well. The barrel had nothing to do with the worst bedding job I have ever run into.

The mo7 on the other hand no ammount of working on the beddin g would solve it's problems, I got rid of it. On the mod 7 I wrote Remington and was told they expect that 3" a 100yds is adequate accuracy, for a 223! I haven't bought a new Remington since. Been close to 25yrs I guess.

There's a lot to getting a rifle to shoot small groups, but a good bbl is the place to start.

Ive got an extremely small diameter shilen screwed to a sako action for a light wt. mountain / sheep hunting rifle. Ive worked up two 100 grain hunting loads with hornady and nosler bullets that are consistently grouping at 1/2 inch at 100 yds. Shoots a little tighter with 75 gr hp.

I'd think you could expect groups of 3/4 inch and possibly a lot better, depending on your overall set-up and load development.

Silvertp

A shilen select bbl...chambered and mounted correctly should deliver accuracy in the .2 range at least. That's of course with properly prepared handloads though.

There's no way anybody could tell you how your bbl will shoot as there are so many variables, but you certainly cant buy a much better barrel.

The VSSF should already have an H S Stock on it with a full length bedding block. So the bedding should not be the problem. I noticed in another post you mentioned shooting 32 gr bullets I have much better luck with 40 grains in my Remington.

The HS stocks Ive had shot horrable until I ground them out and bedded them. That V-block sucks!!!

Shilen barrels are my favorite barrels just dont skimp and get the off the shelf shilen barrels if your after the best of accuracy, defenatly go with the "select" match barrels.

i just installed one on my new savage target action a few days ago,while breaking it in with factory rounds it was giving me bug-eye groups at 100yds. cant wait to get to the range today and try some handloads
thumbup.gif
ordered another one for my pencil barrel 25-06 savage 110.

Maybe i'm aspiring to the rank of captain obvious but before you drop the cash for a new barrel i'd look at your trigger, scope, load and bedding first and of course what are you shooting from? (too many guys shoot of the hood of the truck in 25 mile an hour wind with an 8lb trigger and a 20 year old foggy tasco, shooting 105gr bullets out of their 1-14 twist .243 and blame the gun for a 4" group.)

that barrel "should" shoot fairly well. what kind of groups are you getting? what kind of groups are you expecting? how many loads have you tried?

Back