The best light!!! Period, so far...

I don't know about the lights, but this is the most interesting thread I have read in the night calling forum in a while.

Chad, as you were a big proponent of the predator light, I too would like to hear your experiences with each light.

What made you switch?

Thanks,

Nick

Originally Posted By: TonyTebbeQuote:I would think if the light has not been recharged since December that it only sees limited use. Just a guess though.

I agree with you....it IS just a guess on your part.
smile.gif

I guarantee that I haven't charged it since December, as I took the charger with me on a trip in December and haven't been able to find it, since then. I use the light...alot, as I guide hunters about 20-25 days a month. There is not a single night of calling that I don't have the predator light with me. In addition, I use it when feeding my dogs almost every night, as a flashlight.

This is not a sales pitch or advertisment, as I have nothing to gain.

Tony

Tony, not to be an azz or call out, but I also find it EXTREMELY hard to believe that the predator light used "guide hunters about 20-25 days a month" (your words, not mine) and still be going strong from december to almost march is pretty far fetched.....I have done the math on your claims and I simply can't make it all add up.
I hunt alot in Indiana at night and own 2 LF 170s for the rifles and run a custom LED K-Light out of texas that IS the baddest proffessional coon hunting light on the market period, and coon hunters spend alot more hours out at night than predator hunters! My K-Light is a custom 21V 9amp hour LED that is almost as bright as the LF 170 but will burn around 28 hours on high and I GUARANTEE that the predator light isnt even half the light as a K-Light with the G2 head and I still gotta charge mine! If you TRULY want an AWESOME light, check out the K-Light made be Mike Kelly in TEXAS (not china).If you need their # pm me and I will give to you,and NO I DONT HAVE ANYTHING TO GAIN FROM THEM!!!!!!!!!! If you can find ANYTHING better than a K-Light, be sure to let me know as I have NOT and look all the time!

Last edited:
kino, i`ve been coonhunting for over 34 years and have seen and tried every light out there. i`ve even owned most brands. my hunting parnters even own k-lights, but they never use them any more, just thier predator lights. we hunt hard in the nite hunts every wends & fri in the pkc and sat. in the ukc. we`re out to win, so we need a light that will get it done. k-light does make a very nice light, but don`t be fooled as to where the parts come from. mike puts them together in texas, but the parts are made somewhere else.

let me say again, mike kelley makes a very good light and does alot for the coonhunting community. the difference is you still need a battery pack and a cord for the k-light, not for the predator light.

Originally Posted By: killcoyoteskino, i`ve been coonhunting for over 34 years and have seen and tried every light out there. i`ve even owned most brands. my hunting parnters even own k-lights, but they never use them any more, just thier predator lights. we hunt hard in the nite hunts every wends & fri in the pkc and sat. in the ukc. we`re out to win, so we need a light that will get it done. k-light does make a very nice light, but don`t be fooled as to where the parts come from. mike puts them together in texas, but the parts are made somewhere else.

let me say again, mike kelley makes a very good light and does alot for the coonhunting community. the difference is you still need a battery pack and a cord for the k-light, not for the predator light.

Okay, so what you are saying is that the predator light is BRIGHTER AND HOLDS A CHARGE LONGER than the new G2 head that was only released to the public last month or the K9 that was released in the fall (maybe october)???????? Again, I find it hard to believe that your friends OWN K9 and G2 heads and "they never use them any more, just thier predator lights" (your words not mine). Lets be SURE you are comparing apples to apples. In fact, what models do your buddys own?? I know for a fact that the G2 head had only been available for no longer than a week(january)to the public when we ordered two of them, not to mention I also own the K9 head which is also LED, so my experiance is NOT "from a buddys, cousins uncles boyfriends dad".
You are correct that the K-Light does use a battery pack as do ALL lights. The K-Light has a much bigger battery pack than the predator light and that is why you get a much brighter light with a longer run time. However, it does have a cord (which I would love to get away from!!!)running from the pack to the head.
Seems like there are a few guys here that are hung up on this predator light. IF and I say IF it truly IS brighter and holds a charge longer than the G2 and K9 K-Lights we run I WILL OWN one and could care less what it cost! In fact, I PRAY that there is a booth for predator lights at the world expo as I AM BRINGING my lights with me to compare heads up for myself to put an end to all this blah blah blah or, buy a predator light!!! Again, I do not have a thing to do with K-Lights, nor do I sell them, they are just the brightest, longest lasting LED light on the market and I have spent ALOT of money over the years on junk!
Come on march 20th!!! K-Light VS Predator light for the title!!!

Why do you care if people buy and recommend lights other than the one you prefer ? I could care less which is brighter. I just want to get rid of the wires and battery while being able to ID within shotgun range. That would be fantastic. I'm told the predator light will do that.

Last edited:
kino, i`m not on here to have a fight or any kind of argument. i also never stated that the predator light was brighter or not than the G2 or about the burn times.i am glad that your very happy with your G2 as i`ve stated many times before, we`ve never meant for the predator light to be for everyone.

once again, i will say that mike(k-lights) builds a very nice product and has help out the coonhunting market for years in a big way.

Originally Posted By: TakemWhy do you care if people buy and recommend lights other than the one you prefer ? I could care less which is brighter. I just want to get rid of the wires and battery while being able to ID within shotgun range. That would be fantastic. I'm told the predator light will do that.

Guys I never intended this to be an argument. The title of this thread is "Best Light Period, So Far"
My intent was to comment on the best light I have had experiance with, and that said, it is the K-light. I realize that each persons intended use of light is different, i.e. shotgunners need a little more flood and not near the brightness requirement of a rifleman. On the other hand, a rifleman needs a pencil spot and the more brightness the better when it comes time to shoot. When you have a very bright light, it obviously requires more amperage to power the bulbs and have a long run time. Simple physics really. I assure you that even as a shotgunner, if you have a brighter light YOU WILL USE the added lumen. Not all the time, but I guarantee you will use it. We do EVERYTHING possible to identify our targets before pulling the trigger and that is all the way to shooting across an open field to shooting a shotgun at foxes in sage grass. To do this, I want the brightest, longest lasting light money can buy. The moon phase also has alot to do with the brightness of how a light appears. A marginal light on a new moon will suck on a full moon. I also run LF 170s on the rifles. If we have the time to turn on the LF before the shot, we use the LF to take the shot. In a rush situation where you have to shoot right now, the animal is usually always close and the K-Light is more than adequate. In fact, out to 150 yards it is WAY more than needed. For scanning and shooting at close incounters or strictly shotgunning, the K-light is what is used. This is the most efficient method for killinh night time game we have found. We cannot hunt from truck like in texas so more crap is needed (our opinion!).

So, to those who could "care less which is brighter" cause I shoot a shotgun, well think about the guys on here that use rifles that NEED something brighter. We do it all and hunt every imaginal terrain posible so it requires more gear. Two sides to every coin!

Ford vs. Chevy vs. Dodge...... They all do the job, just which one fits you the best. I think instead of trying to assign the "Best" light it is important to give the features and how it tested out to see what is the best fit for the individual. No argument, the light I have might not be the best for someone else, that is why I'm glad we have many products to chose from. Kudos to all these lights and thanks to the people developing them and making them available, it really makes my life easier.

Originally Posted By: McDonaldFord vs. Chevy vs. Dodge...... They all do the job, just which one fits you the best. I think instead of trying to assign the "Best" light it is important to give the features and how it tested out to see what is the best fit for the individual. No argument, the light I have might not be the best for someone else, that is why I'm glad we have many products to chose from. Kudos to all these lights and thanks to the people developing them and making them available, it really makes my life easier.

+1! My thoughts exactly!

Heck, you dont need a gun with this light....could one hook it up to a larger battery for a longer run time? Then you could blind the predators and use a net to retrieve them....lmbo

geez the light did more advertising on how much heat it put out then the actual beam.

I like the predator because its wireless,light,compact, small battery, bright. the smartlight still has IMO, bulky hardhat, has a small battery seems like. Whats 269 when people spend more then that on camo, calls, and any other hunting items.. It all depends on ur style of hunting some love it some hate it.

Good point kenawell1. I just blew through 100 bucks in shotgun shells trying to find a new load. Still haven't found it.

No. Something I've been wanting to get into. Especially with the price of these high density loads. It's painful to buy a 10 round box for 35 bucks and it doesn't pattern well. Yesterday was 4 boxes, 2 guns and 6 chokes. Ow. Just playing around really. Looking for the magical 50 yard pattern.

Hmm I did the same thing today with 2 shots , one at 25 and one at 48=50 yards. We loaded 1-3/8 once shot of number 6 shot. we shot some "junk shells first to play then tested our load.
You know it all depends on how much you spend on shells say per week/month . Thats where you decide if getting the itmes and componets needed will be worth it for how much you shoot. I like a single stage because I dont shoot alot of shells a year, My old remington 870 wingmaster magnum pretty much shoots what i put through it , I dont shoot steel. Hey wanna chat about loading pm me cant hijack the thread because we are pushing it now lol
wink.gif

Back