E-Caller Testing Part 1: Remote Ranges

Question for the ones with "radio signal" smarts. The antenna on the Spitfire is just a 18 ga.or so wire connected to the circuit board and routed up through the handle from the inside. No external antenna. Could anything be gained by wrapping a 12 ga. bare copper wire around the handle?

Only if it is connected to the antenna wire. Then there is the possibility of some gain. If your goin that far why not just get A little antenna and mount it to the casing and hook it up. Think you would gain more going that way.

Rhino.

Not sure if this question has been asked and answered before but I'd like to know what kind of batteries you used in the FX3 for this test. Did you use Alkaline, Lithium or NiMH rechargeable types. If you used the NiMH rechargeables were they the precharged type or the low discharge type that can stay charged for up to a year.

The reason I ask is that I think that having good batteries in the unit makes a big difference. Expecially in cold weather.

I would think that the test results would be better using Lithium batteries in cold weather as they produce more electrons in cold weather than the Rechargeables NiMH or the Alkaline type.

I have an FX3 that's only two years old and the last time I used it the batteries may not have been charged up right. Since that time I have purchased a new Maha MA C801D battery charger that forms the batteries and also soft charges and rejuvenate these NiMH Batteries. I'm going to test the FX3 range with the remote again now that I have all my precharged Duracellls formed and fully charged up. I hope it works better.

I'd like to see how far the remote can control the FX3 when the FX3 unit is on the ground and I am sitting down on the ground using the remote control. That's how I would hunt in an open area without any trees around. I don't really want to have to carry a pole to hang the FX3 from to get it up off the ground. I don't mind hanging the unit on a branch if one's available at the time.

Perhaps they should make an antenna that could be stretched out from the unit and hung from a branch or something. That way the unit itself would stay on the ground. Maybe an external antenna that can be plugged into the unit like the jack in the box thing.

I would think that using the Jack in the box and the remote control along with the FX3 or any of these foxpro callers would help in the testing. I can see the decoy move faster than I can hear the sounds of the FX3, especially if testing on a windy day. As long as I have a good line of sight between the decoy and the remote.

Originally Posted By: Coyotehunter_

Perhaps they should make an antenna that could be stretched out from the unit and hung from a branch or something. That way the unit itself would stay on the ground.

Hoping to make the remote functions more reliable and increasing the range a little bit, I once experimented doing that exact thing with the antennas on a couple of FP callers.

Did not help one bit.

The callers are limited due to FFC regulations. They are what they are.

The callers using FHSS are much better for remote reliability and range.

For what it worth. I had the Shockwave out today and the remote worked fine at 103 yards in the brush and Mesquite trees. I did have the caller on a fence post about 2 feet off the ground just because that is where I hung it.

Back