10/22 ruger conversion

DOGMAN243

Is there a way to convert a 10/22 lr into a 10/22 mag? is there a kit? is this possible? heard some guys talking about it but didntr know

I haven't been to this board for a long time, but check out rimfirecentral.com......

Some guys over there did it/tried to do it and in several different ways. I don't think anybody ever got a conversion to work with satisfactory results.

Always seemed like a good way to fruk up a perfectly good 10-22 to me.

The whole receiver and magazine has different dimensions... Bolt, Chamber, Magazine socket, Magazine, etc...Everything is longer with the .22 Mag..

Why not just go buy a 10/22 Mag rifle???, Then you can convert it to a .17HMR...

Originally Posted By: OldTurtle
The whole receiver and magazine has different dimensions... Bolt, Chamber, Magazine socket, Magazine, etc...Everything is longer with the .22 Mag..

Why not just go buy a 10/22 Mag rifle???, Then you can convert it to a .17HMR...

Old T. is right on the nose 10/22 can not be converted to 22mag for reasons he stated.

Good luck finding a 10 / 22 mag for sale and if you do ya better hope the feller is as dumb as a bucket of hair and have no idea what they are worth since they are not made any more.

Me lucky I have one and love it.
DAB

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DustOne person did it, but the info is hidden in someone's head from RC

Wasn't his name Jimmy Hoffa?

If you are really interested in acquiring a 10/22 Mag,,,I know where there was one sitting in a gun rack for sale, but you had better have a relatively hefty purse on your belt...

PM me and I'll give you the location and phone number..

rfc lr to mag 1
rfc lr to mag 2

It can and has been done. Check the dates on these posts over at Rimfire Central. They've been doing it for quite some time. Where there's a will there's a way. You should never say something can't be done because there is usually someone out there that will take that as a challenge.
thumbup.gif

I remember when a couple guys did it on rimfire central. The whole crux was moving the fire control back in the reciever to allow for the longer magazine and inletting the stock to allow for the trigger control sticking out of the back of the reciver. Then you needed to find a 22 mag breech block, spring, bolt handle and barrel.

It is possible, but its worthiness is questionable.

Remington still makes the 597 magnum. I have one and it works ok but some of my friends havent had good luck with theirs.

I think there were some safety/function issues that came up for them and it seems that the popularity of the Magnum level started dropping about the same time..

I think that's about the time the .17 HMR came out..

people have been doing it for over 20 years. There was a company that converted them and sold the heck out of them 20 years ago. Ruger got the idea from them and started making them. The 22 mag just isn't as popular any more and there isn't much of a demand. The shell cost too much fro the performance gain over the 22 LR and you can download a 223 to 1050 fps. There really is no true need for the 22 mag today unless you don't reload, even then I'm not sure. You can very the performance of the 223 for anything from mice to moose with all of the bullet options available these days.

Back