Energy to kill a coyote

yoteaddict

What is the least amount of energy needed to kill a coyote? I see a 52 gr. bullet traveling at 3500 muzzle, has 225 lbs at 600 yards.

tt2.gif

Last edited:
270,000 rpms a second

Acutally it's 270,000 revolution per minute, not rpm per second. Not trying to nitpick, just offering what little I know.

I dont know if its right but I have heard you wanna have three times what the animal weighs, so a 35lb. coyote you wanna have 105lbs of knockdown power. Dont know if its accurate or knot but that's what I have heard.

I dont think you could say "least amount of energy" it would depend on distance and shot placement on how much force is required for a kill. You could get into the whole is it a humane kill or not? You can kill a coyote with a 17hmr but if your distance and shoot placement are not right then it might take him a good amount of time to die and your probably not cominig home with fur in hand!

Those figures I posted were read in a medical text i picked up somewhere. That was information on humans, I figure it cant be too far from the same in most thin skinned game.

300 ft lbs. for clean ethical kills.

So that means no 22lr at all

a 22mag has about 300 at the muzzel.

however we all know a 22mag can kill out to about 100 yards but as many will point out your going to have runners. Not exactly ideal.

A whitetail deer they say its 700 ft lbs.

Cottontail rabbit is rediculous its like 6ft lbs if I remember correctly.

Bullet design and terminal performance is obviously important. You could have alot of power but if the bullet splashes on the surface its no bueno.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: yotehunter57 Oh heck, I thought you was asking if I had enough energy to get off computer and kill a coyote. YES! L.O.L.! Some days that is the hardest part!

Energy is a very poor measure of killing power. A broadhead arrow delivers something like 70 FPE. Nobody doubts it's a pretty effective killer even on very large game.

There have been numerous other measures attempted, but they are all flawed in one way or another.

One that's used quite often is Thornily Stopping Power. On that scale you need

45 for Antelope

50 for Deer

100 for Black Bear (To account for 350- 500 lbs. bear.),

120 for Elk, Moose, Kudu, Zebra, Large African Safari Plains Game

150 for Lion, Leopard, Grizzly Bear, Brown Bear,

250 for Hippopotamus , Rhinoceros, Cape Buffalo, and Elephant.

It's a scale that many safari and big game hunters have used quite sucessfully. You can figure your info here: http://www.beartoothbullets.com/rescources/calculators/php/thornily.htm

Of course on that scale a baseball delivers a Thornily Relative Stopping Power Scale of 369 (2296 gr @ 141 fps and 2.78 cal).

I haven't heard of many elephant hunters throwing baseballs have you?

The Taylor Knock Out formula is likewise flawed giving a value of 5 for a 50 gr .223 @ 3000fps and a value of 129 for a 96 mph fastball.

http://www.beartoothbullets.com/rescources/calculators/php/taylor.htm?bw=&bv=0&cal=

Stevelyn has it right when he says it's holes in vital organs that kill. The rest of it is just trying (poorly) to quantify how we cause those holes to happen.

It might not be the best formula but I've always figured I needed 10 foot pounds of energy per pound of coyote at the target. In other words, if the largest coyote I would expect to shoot in my area would be 40 pounds than 40X10=400
foot pounds required at the target. Not perfect, but it has worked for me.

Originally Posted By: nmleonEnergy is a very poor measure of killing power. A broadhead arrow delivers something like 70 FPE. Nobody doubts it's a pretty effective killer even on very large game.

Stevelyn has it right when he says it's holes in vital organs that kill. The rest of it is just trying (poorly) to quantify how we cause those holes to happen.

Bullets and arrows kill in different ways. An arrow kills by hemorrhaging. A hole through a vital organ, causing blood loss.
A bullet kills by hydrostatic shock, a pressure wave caused by the transfer of energy. A bullet hole through a vital organ does help, but is not always necessary. A bullet doesn't have to go through an organ to destroy it.
It is really not a fair compairson.

Back