Lighter loads for the .223?

Bernie P.

I'm thinking about buying a CZ 527 in .223.I really want one in .222 but I found a great deal on one in .223 so I'll likely go that way.Anyway what I'd like to know is how well the .223 shoots with light powder charges.Most shots will be under 100 yds.I'll be trying mainly for coyotes but am willing to accommodate any varmints that come to the call.This will be for the American model which has a 1:12 twist and 21.9" barrel.

I have that very gun. Shoots 12 grains of Blue Dot and a 40 grain Nosler into WAY less than an inch at 100 yards. Quiet too. I used it in my 112 Savage in .223 for years for ground squirrel shooting out to 200 yards or so. I still have some loaded up even. Give it a try. Bet you like it.

I don't reload but I have a CZ 527 Varminter in 223. It is easily the most accurate rifle I own. I can shoot 10 shot groups the size of my pinky nail with 55 gr Vmax Molys. It doesn't like the nonmolys as well for whatever reason. The single set trigger is the best thing ever.

Reduced loads in 223 work rather well from my experiences, one great thing about them is it opens the door to bullets designed for the hornet, without them blowing up when leaving the barrel. From the performance perspective I don't see any reason that a hand loader needs any varmint calibers other than 22lr and .223 rem. If you download 223 you can get the ballistics of anything from 22 mag to 223, which will suit almost any situation. I don't really understand why anybody would mess with 22 hornet and likes when 223 brass is so cheap and barrels are so plentiful. There is the nostalgia factor and then again any reason to own another gun....

Predator Xtreme magazine has a 2 part story about developing a sub-sonic .223 round. The writer has tried many in part 1 in the February issue, so far with no success. He say's he'll keep trying and finish his findings with part 2 in the next issue.

Ok...I have to ask...why are you interested in "lighter loads for the .223?" I mean whats the purpose and how "light" are you talkin? Loading below a certain level off specs will affect accuracy. Just curious, that's all.

If you are trying to get down to 222 velocities, it won't be hard, as there is not much difference velocity wise between the to, IIRC.

kevlars

There is only about 100 fps difference between the two calibers, until you get to the heavy bullets. Once you get to the 55gr bullets there is 150 to 200 fps difference depending on the powder you use. Basically a starting load for the 223 is the same as a "normal" load for a 222.

Check out Hodgons site reloading data center and select rifle, then 223. They even have three 1050 fps loads published which turns your 223 into a 22LR.
smile.gif

http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

Originally Posted By: ShynlocoOk...I have to ask...why are you interested in "lighter loads for the .223?" I mean whats the purpose and how "light" are you talkin? Loading below a certain level off specs will affect accuracy. Just curious, that's all.

Ditto!!
thumbup1.gif

Take a look at the Hodgdon site. They list a reduced load for the 223 using Trailboss and Titegroup powder that are only going about 1050 fps. It's for the 55 gr FMJ bullet. You probably could use other 55 gr bullets with this data.

I load with trail boss and bullets up to 77 grs. Ive gone up quite a bit from what is on the hodgdon site in regards to trail boss without any pressure signs. Trail Boss is a really fun powder to play with.

Google 223 blue dot loads for another excellent view of whats availible.

Most accurate load ever was 12 grains of blue dot and a nosler 50 gr bullet. Single ragged hole. Loads of fun to shoot, and relatively cheap. I have some lead gas checked that I load up stuff for my son. He can shoot all day for like 10 bucks. Thats a win/win right there.

I dont have a .223 but I do load some Blue Dot loads with 45grn "bee" bullets for my .22-250. They are running over my chronograph at 2150fps with a 10grn charge.

Good Shootin'

Tim

Back