Made a Run to Eastern Montana Today--loooong again!

Silverfox

I have been trying to get out to this ranch since before Christmas. The lay of the land seems to set up best if there is an east wind. Today there was a SE wind so after lunch, I gased up the pickup and took a drive. I went to the NW most corner of the ranch, hid my pickup and walked in about 3/4 of a mile to the east. I was down in a huge flat area near a stock dam and I set up my red fox decoy upwind from me on the top of the dam about 40 yards to my right (south) and set my FoxPro right on the neck of the decoy facing into the wind. I started my set out with my new SlyDog Clasic II raspy jackrabbit call for about a minute. I waited a minute and hit the Clasic again for 30 to 40 seconds. I did that two more times. Nothing was coming so I hit my Bill Austin Howler with about 4 female invitation howls. I waited a couple of minutes and did a couple more female invitation howls.

After about 10 minutes on the stand, I turned on the FoxPro to the female invitation sound and cranked the volume way up. I did 4 female invitation howls, and then switched to the male challenge sound for 3 howls and then went to the coyote pup distress sound for about 3 series of that. I shut it off and started wailing on the SLYDOG CLASIC for a minute. I was silent for about 3 minutes. I hit the FoxPro for another series of female invitation, male challenge, pup distress and then a couple more female invitation howls. I waited and watched for about 3 more minutes. I did one more series of howls and pup distress. I had been on the stand for almost 30 minutes and was about ready to move back to the pickup, but first, I wanted to do a sweep of the entire area I was calling with my rifle scope. I began looking to the SSE and swept around to the left in a northerly direction. When I got to about EENE I spotted a coyote coming that I hadn't seen with my naked eye. It was about 3/4 of a mile away. I cranked the scope up to 12X and tried to find it in the scope. Finally, I found it and it appeared to be walking back to the ENE. It looked a lot farther away than when I had first seen it. I hit the FoxPro female invitation howl and mixed in some coyote pup distress sounds. I looked in the scope again and now the coyote was lying down! Not this crap again!!! I kept switching between the howling and the pup distress. I checked in the scope again and now I could see three coyotes!!! Two of them were coming up out of a little low spot and they were a lot closer than the one that was lying down. I think one of these two front ones was the one I saw initially and the one lying down must have popped over the hill while I was messing with the caller and my scope power ring.

Anyway, I kept working on the two that were coming. After a bit the back one started to come too, but she was about 400 yards behind the other two. I could see that the two coming were very different in size. The lead coyote was small and light colored. The back coyote was almost half again as big as the lead coyote and was a nice light color too. They were about 150 yards apart. The lead coyote was about 300 yards away and was not coming straight at me, but was circling around to the north of me probably trying to get down wind. The big coyote stopped and the one that was way to the ENE was still coming, but maybe 600+ yards away. I turned the FoxPro volume down and switched to the Woodpecker distress sound. The two closest coyotes started coming again, but the big one really looked suspicious and would stop, take a couple of steps, stop; he also had his head down low and was moving his head side to side as well.

I decided I was going to take my shot at the small one that was the closest, but I’d wait until it got a little closer before shooting. Then I’d try to yelp and stop the big one as it tried to run away. There was a big cottonwood tree almost straight north of me and the coyote got in behind that and I moved my rifle at that time and got the barrel out to the left of the tree. There was also a three-wire fence between me and the coyote. The small coyote got to about 150 yards and was heading WSW now and getting a little closer. I figured I had better try to stop her and get a good shot before she got down wind from me. I could see her body between the bottom and middle wires on the fence as I kept the crosshairs on her. I barked several times. She stopped broadside and I took up the slack in the trigger. Just as I fired I could see her move a little to the WSW (left), but the bullet hit her, although it was a little farther back than I intended because she had moved to my left a little. I could see her entrails hanging out as she did the death spin. I immediately started yelping with my voice to try to stop the big male. He was flat out moving to get out of the country. I flung a couple of shots at him, but wasn’t even close. I checked on the nearest coyote to see if she was down or not and she was down for the count. I tried howling to work the two coyotes that were running away, but they disappeared over the far eastern horizon. My watch showed I had been on stand for 42 minutes and 35 seconds. Patience is a virtue this time of year!!! JMHO!

I walked over to the FoxPro and turned that off and undid the antennae and placed it and the remote in my butt pack and strapped on the butt pack. I slung my rifle over my shoulder and began to step off the distance from where I had been lying to where the coyote was when I shot. She had been about 130 yards from me. She had spun and dragged herself about 75 yards to the NNW before she died. I had hit her about 6 to 8 inches back of my point of aim because she had moved on me when I was pulling the trigger. I stepped on the entrails and removed a good portion of them. She was pretty bloody on her underside, but she wasn’t rubbed and she was a very nice colored female. I hooked my drag rope on her, slung my rifle over my shoulder, and began the long walk back out to the highway. There were places that the snow was still over two feet deep. I was wishing I would have taken my snow shoes with me. One of these days I will learn to take them with.

I took some photos when I got my pickup back to where I had dragged her in the road ditch. I began to wonder if these two coyotes were doing the big down wind circle because of the decoy. Would they have come right straight in to the FoxPro if I would not have had the decoy there? I guess I’ll never know, but just in case these coyotes are shying away from my decoy, I may have to make a smaller, less fearsome looking red fox decoy for next year.

Here's the "hero" photo and I am holding the SlyDog Clasic II call in my hand. I am really happy, but the scowl or squint is because the sun is shining in my eyes! Also note the Predator Master's camo cap on my head instead of the white "turban" like I had last Monday.

LeRoy_decoy_yote_SLYDOG-CLASIC--smaller-yet.jpg

If you can see the tree right above and slightly left of the green sign, that is the tree I was lying south of. Then look way out on the horizon and right of that tree to the tallest hill and you'll see two dark spots on the snow on the horizon. Just below the right-most dark spot is where the back coyote was walking after I got my scope turned up to 12x. That is some huge basin out there and it was bright!!

Decoy_Yote--smallest.jpg

You can see the nice color to this coyote and my SlyDog Clasic II is on the snow near her back.

SLYDOG_CLASIC_Yote--smaller.jpg

This was the only spot I called. Wish I would have come out earlier. I might have had a pickup load of coyotes to sell on Saturday when the furbuyer comes to town.

good story and pictures, the only thing missing is the famous 17. It must have been great hunting in warmer weather without that ski mask.
happy hunting spike

Great story Silverfox. Nice lookin yote. You did work for that one.

You need a laser rangefinder for your neck of the woods. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I know you luv your .17, but with that wide open country you have, have you thought about using a larger caliber and get some longer shots in since some of those yotes sit out there at 300 plus yards and look at you begging to be shot. Seems you have had several cases where they sit out there and don't come in. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I would love to try that myself, we just don't have that type of terrain.

Just wondering............ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Hey SD,

Well, you broke you new SD call in!! Congrats!

Were you over near Wolf Point, or did you go that far west!!

Good Hunting,

Bob

Thank you fellows for the kind words about my story, pics and outing.

spike--I was wearing my ski mask, but only one ski mask instead of the usual two layers. I just donned the Predator Master's cap because someone gave me a lot of grief about my nice "turban" in the photos I posted about my February 16th outing.

Dogboy--You know, I do have a Leica 1200 laser range finder and I have been carrying it in my butt pack. I usually take a few shots with it to get distances to specific objects in case a coyote hangs up out there. I left it in the pickup yesterday. I'm not so sure the big male would have stopped long enough for me to get a reading as he was running away so fast he looked like a thin black line as he moved away.

My .17 Remington, 30 gr. Starke RPB bullet and 3,900 fps MV has only 5 inches of drop at 300 yards when sighted dead on at 200 yards. Had I been able to stop that coyote, I'm afraid I would have been required to pull two coyotes out of that stand! The .17 Remington load I have, still has 400 ft. lbs. of energy at 300 yards, so it is more than adequate for coyote size game at that distance.

When it comes to deciding between shooting a called coyote that is standing still at 100 or 150 yards and one that is over 300 yards away, I generally opt for the 100 to 150 yard shot. Some folks say take the back one first and then try to shoot the close one as it runs away or maybe even as it stands when you get it to stop with coyote distress sounds. I'm too conservative to do that. I will take the "nearly sure thing shot" and then try to stop the one that is waaaaaay out there.

Calypso--I did use the SlyDog Clasic at the beginning of the stand, but I'm not sure if that was what brought the coyotes over the hill into my sight. It is a sweet sounding call and I'll have to use it exclusively on a few stands to see if it produces for me.

I only made it about 10 to 12 miles into Montana so I wasn't anywhere near Wolf Point this time. Lots of snow up north of Wolf Point. I think maybe a lot more than where I was at yesterday.

Like I said nd coyote killer--Patience is a virtue!!! especially this time of year.

Silverfox

I usually go for the sure thing myself. It's an easy decision when they're spread out like that. Every time I read a story like this, I think of what happened to me a few springs ago. I was working two coyotes 400 yds out who were slowly circling to the front of me maintaining distance. While they had my attention, I was being inspected by a coyote 10' behind me. It was a third coyote I didn't know about. He went all the way around the hill I was on, down wind, to find out what was going on, and he had a LOT of time to do it. He didn't run when he winded me either, but he did make the mistake of wandering out in front of me. Two of my friends were hidden in sagebrush at the top of the hill, That's how I knew all this happened.
Anyway, when I'm alone I always wonder what's going on behind me, almost to the point of paranoia. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Are they watching me, or something behind me trying to decifer what I am?

Great story and pics, thanks for taking the time. Looks like you had a pretty good year.

Brad

brad h--I get the same feeling you talk about when I am out calling by myself. Maybe we should wear one of those rearview mirror thingies (for our non-shooting eye) like bicycle riders wear! The spot I was lying in afforded me a 360º range of vision if I was an owl and could rotate my head. I usually give up that area right behind me as a coyote "get out of jail free" area and don't worry about it too much. That thought is especially true when I am laying on the face of a hill and have no chance of seeing the backside of the hill. I often wonder how many coyotes I have educated while I am out there calling by my lonesome. I'm sure if I knew the number, I'd probably break down and cry /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif :eek:

I have had two instances where I was calling and had coyotes almost touch my boots as I lay looking the opposite direction. The reason I know that is because I had a calling partner watching at each of these stands. I never did know they were there until my partner's drilled these curious coyotes. Neither one of them ran away, they just kind of did a fairly fast 180 and started walking away. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Silverfox, enjoyed the story and pics it was just like being there. I will post a picture next week because I am heading to S. Tx on a predator control trip. Thanks.

Nice job again Silverfox. Sure enjoy the blow by blow stories and pics. Just like tagging along. Thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Back