Can the AR15 be safely fired without a magazine inserted?

TX_Punisher

without damaging anything?

Never seen this question asked so I thought I would ask since it would make life easier tomorrow.

All I have are 30rd pmags and I need to sight-in my XPS2. However, the bag rests I have a too short with the 30 rounders causing the mags to drag the table.

It would make life a bit easier if it was safe to chamber a round, drop the mag, and then shoot off the bags? Though, moving the rifle to load another round practically defeats the purpose of sighting-in off the bags.

Worst case, I'll just bring something to raise the bags up a bit--phonebooks, etc.

Just curious.

Thanks

I've never tried it before... Most of the benchrest shooters I see using ARs at the range use a short mag and a single load block so they can feed one at a time...

When I first started shooting ARs from a bench or table, I was using a large military ammo box with a sandbag on top to give me clearance for my longer magazines...When shooting an action competition where horizontal barricades are present, I use a 20 round mag and use it for stabilizing the rifle by resting it against the barricade, as well as my arm, on long range shots..

It'll be fine. Went to check out a few loads one day and the boy had removed all of my mags from my shooting bag. Did the single shot thing and everything worked out fine.

I did the same. only had my 30 rounders and they were hitting my bench. Shot singles all day. Didn't hurt a thing.

Originally Posted By: chip01I did the same. only had my 30 rounders and they were hitting my bench. Shot singles all day. Didn't hurt a thing.

Thanks. What procedure did you use to load a new round?

Lock bolt to the rear, feed next round into the chamber through the ejection port, release bolt and shoot. A little tricky at first, but it doesn't take long to get it down.

Yes you can safely fire an AR without a magazine inserted, there is no magazine safety like on some pistols. For bench shooting I like the old GI 20 rounders.

Back