Yesterday's Hunt

Dogboy

Went out yesterday about 9:00 AM to do some serious scouting to find some new territory. My usual spots are getting a little dry these days. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

It rained the night before, so the ground was good for tracking and looking for fresh sign. So I headed west about 15 miles from my house into the foothills.

I found this very large canyon/wash, it looked so good, I decided to try some calling. I used my new verminator tweedy call, sang the cottontail blues for about 10 minutes. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

After 10 minutes, I hit the squeeker attached to the barrel of my rifle. I slowly looked at the area and spotted mister yote coming off a small hill about a 100 yards from me. I was sitting up about 50 yards above the wash on the opposite side. I was calling cross wind.

When I saw him, he was taking his time coming down and into the wash, he gave me plenty of opportunity to raise my rifle and get ready. I was shooting my Savage 223, using a 40gr Nosler BT. I just put a new Burris 3X9 with ballistic plex on the rifle.

I waited for a couple of minutes, I knew the yote was making his way through the brush, of course my blood was pumping in anticipation. Sure enough he shows himself at 70 yards and stands broadside for me. I launch one and hear the meat report. He spins around and takes off out of sight.

I found him about 35 yards away, dead as a mackrel. I hit him on the left side just behind the shoulder, no exit wound, I was surprised too, as I hit him a little low and thought for sure the bullet would exit. Very little blood loss. His fresh tracks in the sand is why I found him so quick. He weighed 28 lbs and was healty looking with a good coat of fur.

Here he is.

Yote_2-19-04.jpg

Here's the view from my position. He came into the center of the picture at 70 yards. He came off that hill to the left of the juniper in the center of the picture.

Yote_Hill.jpg

Bottom line a good day for me and found several new areas to call. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Thanks Critr, I just got set up with Photobucket.

Easier to use than imagestation. Thanks again. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Nice goin, Ken.

I'm not having much luck, good to see you are.

I don't see the pics yet, but I'm sure they'll pop up soon enough.

Now they're there. Nice pics!
Brad

Nasty looking hole in that dog. I sure like seeing pics of my beloved homeland of California. I can hardly wait until I get back for a visit.

Dogboy--Great job!!! Sure glad someone is getting some action. I struck out today. When I got done bustin' my hump for 5 hours I stopped by the ranch owner's house and he asked me if I had seen any coyotes. I told him I had seen 4 by the yearling calf carcass, but only got one shot as one ran away. He said, I guess the government helicopter didn't get them all. He then told me they had flown that area earlier this week. I probably should have slept in this morning.

Thanks guys. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Silverfox- Sorry to hear they air gunned your yotes. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Randy- I will use that time wisely. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Crapshoot- Jeff is doing fine. He's real busy moving into a big house he just had built. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Weasel-UT- Actually the hole is not big. Exactly the diameter of the 22. That big red circle is where he was laying on his left side and some blood drained out into the fur and pooled. A little fur got pulled into the entrance hole.

I had to look twice myself, got down and really looked. :eek:

Nice pics and story Dogboy! Nice work. I sure like seeing pics of the different terrain fellas call in. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Well thanks Curt, where you been??? Haven't seen anything from you in awhile. Done any calling. Hope all is well....... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Oh, I've been popping in to lurk for a few minutes on and off. Been working my tail off so haven't had much time or energy go calling in the last month or so. I don't have a .17 HMR so didn't really have much to post about lately. LOL! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Finally made it out calling yesterday though. We got a couple. I'll post the pic in a bit. Hoping to get some time to try some bobcat and cougar calling before the season ends.

Take care bud.

Back