Is it legal to hunt at night in your state??

This may be impossible to get an answer for all of them, but hopefully you guys can help shed some light for your state. If so then can you hunt predators at night from a vehicle, and does your state allow use of an artificial light? Also, what are the restrictions if any as to firearms, example "rimfire vs. centerfire" for rifles and size of shot for shotguns ect.. Doing a study about night hunting for all 50 states and having difficulty finding solid information for all of them. Thanks

Maine: Night hunting for coyote only from Mid December to June 1. You must be in possession of a calling device and pay a $4 permit fee. No gun or shot restrictions (unless there is a town ordinance for shotgun only). In ME you can not shoot from or have a loaded gun in or on a motor vehicle. Artificial lights allowed. No Sunday hunting, have to stop @ midnight.

Edit: You can hunt coons at night here too when in season (Oct 1 - Dec. 31), only with dogs, lights, and a firearm of no greater power than one which uses .22 caliber long rifle ammo; said gun to be loaded only when being used to dispatch a raccoon that is treed or held at bay by dogs.

Last edited:
You can hunt at night with an artificial light and a bazooka if you want. But I just use a rifle. I love Montana!!!! For varmints only.

Last edited:
I had this question about WA, glad you asked this so everyone can contribute some more info.

In wa you can only hunt coyote bobcat and raccoon at night when it isn't deer season. I'm not sure about lights or shooting from a truck. I'm trying to find that out.

We should have a hunting regs reference page for every state on here. The state issued regs are usually hard to decipher.

*UPDATE*
I just called fish and game, they were very helpful and friendly.
In wa you can hunt at night except during deer and elk season. You can use lights and shoot from a truck. He said its always a good idea to call fish and game and let them know if you're out hunting at night and where you're at just in case.

Last edited:
It's legal in Nebraska but your light can't be attached to the vehicle. Plus you can't shoot from the vehicle if you are on a public roadway. For example, a rack in the back of a truck w/ extra battery sources for the light sitting on a 2-track in the middle of a pasture would be legal.

You can hunt at night here in MN. If you are using an artificial light then you have to be on foot and not within the public right of way, using a shotgun, using a calling device, and not within 200 ft. of a vehicle. You can use a rifle but only with the moon or nightvision as your light source.
Also wanted to add that coyotes are a non-protected species here that can be hunted year round and with anything you want except for running them over or poison and you don't need a license for resident or non-resident.

Last edited:
New York -
http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/45559.html

To hunt furbearers, you need to possess a junior hunting, small game, small/big game, sportsman, super sportsman, non-resident hunting, or non-resident super sportsman license. A trapping or big game license does not allow you to hunt furbearers. Furbearers may be hunted with a bow or firearm as described below. All laws pertaining to the use of a spotlight and firearm apply.

•You may hunt red and gray fox, coyote, bobcat, raccoon, skunk, mink, weasel and opossum.
•If you take a bobcat, it must be tagged and sealed.
•You may use a call, including an electronic call.
•You may hunt furbearers only after sunrise on the opening day. They may be taken at any hour, day or night, for the rest of their hunting season.
•Skunk may be hunted during their open trapping season.
•Mink may only be hunted in the Southern Zone with a firearm not larger than .22 caliber during their open trapping season. Mink may not be hunted with a firearm in the Northern Zone
Muskrat may only be hunted on Lake Champlain during the open trapping season with a firearm not larger than a .22 caliber.
•You may hunt furbearers during the day using any handgun, shotgun, rifle or bow. You may hunt at night as described below.
Furbearer Hunting at Night
You may hunt furbearers at night, with or without a light, as follows:

•Use any handgun or bow.
•Use a shotgun loaded with shot (any size).
•Use a rifle chambered in any cartridge, except that you may not possess a centerfire rifle afield, during the day or night, during any open season for deer in areas restricted to using a shotgun only for deer.
•If hunting without a light, the use of a light gathering ("starlight") scope is legal on any firearm listed above.
NOTE: Westchester County and Long Island - Rifles are not allowed

No in IL. after Feb 15--1\2 Hr before sunup and 1\2 Hr after sundown. DNR said I could be in the field earlier than this with a unloaded rifle for setting up.

Getting some very good first hand info. Thanks guys. There are more states than I realized that allow some form of night hunting. I have never seen any form of a list of states with regulations on this topic. I will post a list of all the states that allow night hunting at all for everyone who may be interested when I have gathered enough info. Keep'em coming. Thanks

Mass is a little complicated, no lights, no rifle larger tha 22LR after 1/2 hr past sunset. Handguns up to 38cal are legal, shotgun with shot no larger than FF, for Coyotes. Fox can be shot at night but shot no larger than #1. Bobcats can't be shot at night. Hunting ends at midnight.

God bless Texas! lol..... We can hunt from a truck with artificial light and use just about whatever weapon we choose even a bow and you can even hunt exotics at night in Texas pretty cool. But their are some Animals that require a trapping license and hogs are free game too. And it has been this way for along time and we still have a ton of critters I personally think that they are smuggled in from Mexico lol... Chris I know you already knew all this but for the folks that didn't hear ya go.

P.S what about Utah,Colorado,Arizona,Nevada,Wyoming etc

Seth you forgot to metntion the infamous Texas Chupacabra! They have been known to be a shy whitty creature at times and are rarely seen, but they may be taken legaly with just about any means possible here in Texas except, blow darts and fried chicken!

NM is convoluted. I think Tony Tebbe has the best feel for night hunting and using vehicles in this state. If he doesn't post, I'll take a stab at it...

Kansas....
It is legal to hunt predators at night, BUT ...no type of artifial light source may be used.
I tried finding info about shooting from a truck, but couldn't find anything.

This is pretty interesting to know. Thanks for the info. So far I have 23 of the 50 states! I am pretty suprised but the states allowing some form of hunting at night out weigh the ones that dont by a long shot so far. Some are more regulated than others yet for a guy who really wants to try hunting predators at night there is a pretty big range of states across the country that allow hunters the opportunity to give it a try.

Back