CNN poll on Chicago Handgun Ban

FeatherDuster

CNN is conducting a poll on its home page on whether the Supreme Court should uphold Chicago's Handgun ban.
This ruling can impact you where ever you live.CNN.com

Last edited:
DC is federal. Chi town is claiming they have the right to impose local rules. If that logic holds, I guess any locale could take away any Constitutional right ie. the right to vote, whatever.

You have to realize that Obama came from there. I am sure he is putting alot of pressure on his old cronies to make this happen, as a testing ground for what he might try to pass later. I just wanna know what we have to do to stop these insane shootings! The majority of the non shooting public are like a herd of sheep, they are scared and until some of these crazies getting ahold of guns and walking in to schools, shopping malls, and now military bases are stopped, we are gonna be faced with this attitude.

Originally Posted By: MPFDYou have to realize that Obama came from there. I am sure he is putting alot of pressure on his old cronies to make this happen, as a testing ground for what he might try to pass later. I just wanna know what we have to do to stop these insane shootings! The majority of the non shooting public are like a herd of sheep, they are scared and until some of these crazies getting ahold of guns and walking in to schools, shopping malls, and now military bases are stopped, we are gonna be faced with this attitude.

You cant ever get rid of that heppening. What you can do is equalize it. By that I mean, arm everyone. People would definitely think twice about committing these crimes if they new a large majority of the people were also armed. The second reason would be to show the general public how the rampage was stopped or prevented by law abiding gun owners, instead of them only being shown "why guns are bad" now we could show them "how armed law abiding citizens save lives". How does a person just kill large groups of other people? He does it at a place where guns are banned. If we change that these events would have much better outcomes. I know here in Az they are trying to pass a law to allow concealed carry on state campuses. Thats a good start. An armed society is a polite society.

Last edited:
Yea, this one'll effect the rest of the Bill of Rights, and since it's basically the same Court members, it should pass by the same margin that the Heller case went thru on. Sotomayor replaced another liberal, so the score should be about the same. Good time to get it thru. And since it would effect the other rights, should be a given. Even the Brady Bunch has admitted it is the conservative presenting attorney's case to lose - in other words, it's pretty much a foregone conclusion he'll win it if he doesn't do anything stupid - he won the last one, and has a black plaintiff that has been denied his Constitutional Right by Chicago. Looks good for the good guys. We'll see. Probably be a few weeks till we hear a conclusion.

Last edited:
51% & we are losing! CNN really runs you around the horn to find the poll (why doesn't that surprise me?), so here's a shortcut:

CNN Poll

Regards,
hm

Thanks for the link hm

Should the Supreme Court uphold Chicago's 1982 handgun ban?

No 51% 71216
Yes 49% 67160
Total votes: 138376

It all depends on where you look.

Some prognosticators think that the five justices that voted favorably in the Heller case will vote the same way here.

Stay tuned boys and girls.

I too saw that poll, but realize the idiots that want to limit or eliminate 2nd Amendment Rights are the same Morons who believe guns kill people. You'll never change those minds until they loose their pacifist ideas or someone in their family gets wasted by some bad guy. Also remember, history has also shown the few have always protected the many.....and the sheep.

Didn't get anywhere with the link. If the votes are near equal, it is obviously flawed and populated by the left wing crazies. No legitimate poll in recent years has shown anything other than broad public support for firearms rights.

One of the biggest problems is that the left sometimes convinces people with no experience with or knowledge of firearms that "reasonable limits on firearms" means; no concealed carry, no firearms in your car, arbitrary purchase limits, shutting ranges, fingerprinting and criminaliztion of purchasers and the risk of being sued to death in civil court for a justified self defense issue in your own home. Don

Last edited:
Based on a couple of posts above, remember this a a Supreme Court case, not a congressional issue.

The Heller case (Washington, DC) ended in a 5-2 vote in favor of Heller..

IMHO and limited knowledge, I think the Court has to struggle with two issues, the 14th Amendment and equality in the Bill of Rights.

No one would ever accept having states or municipalities limiting the provisions of the First Amendment, the Fifth Amendment, or..... So why would the Second Amendment be any different.

It will be a great moral victory and more support for us; however, I'll bet the City of Chicago will come up with something to offset the loss. Maybe an excise tax of $1000 on every handgun transfer. I believe Illinois already requires a license to own a firearm. A lot of good that has done.

What our law makers just don't comprehend is that laws restricting firearms only impact law abiding citizens. It's not rocket science people.

Back