Noveske or Levang?

2Gunner

Anyone try both the KX3 and the linear comp? I am trying to decide between the two for a 16" 5.56 AR. I am mostly looking to redirect the noise.

I have heard good reviews on both and would like to know if anyone has used both, or even done a side by side comparison? I know the Noveske is more money, but if it's better at reducing the perceived noise to the shooter I would be more than happy to spend the dough.

B

I have read about the Levang, and was going to get one. But, now I will be keeping an eye on this thread for info on the Noveske.

kevlars

Someone here has to have experience with the Noveske. I know there is a few threads on the Levang with pics. I have read them and am sure it would be a good buy. Just want to evaluate it against the KX3.

Anyone know of a thread somewhere else that I can get a link to? I am itching to get this ordered and try it out.

B

One thing about the KX3 is that it is really BIG and weighs something like 7+oz. I would think adding something that heavy to the end of the muzzle might do funky things to your accuracy. If I understand they are designed mostly for entry teams where that would not be a factor. I've been thinking about trying a Levang, just in case I forget my muffs.

For what it's worth in the accuracy department, I agree with Greyhunter. These guys:
http://www.accuracysystemsinc.com/ar15_conversion.php
have their version of a quiet brake. Scroll down about halfway down the page to the pic of the upper with it installed. Notice the accuracy guarantee jumps from 1/2 to 3/4 with the brake being the only difference. I guess it is still under 1 inch and it might be worth it, but good to know. They also sell the comp. by itself at the bottom of the page for $79 or so.

That looks like an expensive copy of the Levang.

Not sure how the bigger comp would look on my little gun. It is a light fluted barrel. Might cause problems hanging a bunch of weight of the end of my skinny barrel???

B

I think all that extra weight might be what accounts for the loss in accuracy, but I know there are a lot of other factors at work too. It does look cool IMHO and I am all about making guns legally quieter on the ears, but I would rather have accuracy to noise since most of my fodder is smaller stuff. Changes in harmonics can really effect things quick. Just look at the change in the Rem SPS after a quick garage free float job. I saw a Dtech compensator that looked like three or four slits cut in the top of the barrel that were supposed to help with recoil without giving you rock star eardrums. Never tried one, but anything that gives less noise and recoil without ruining accuracy gets a thumbs up in my book.

Just ordered a Levang. Got to thinking about almost half a pound hanging on my wee thin barrel...

And it was about a third the cost. If I dont like it I will try the KX3. Will put up a review when it gets here.

B

I have a fair amount of time behind the KX3, mostly on SBR's. It does a good job in directing the blast/concussion forward but I'm not sure it reduces the sound level any.

As far as the weight of the KX3 on the end of the barrel effecting accuracy, hogwash. Under this premise a sound suppressor, heavier than the KX3, would adversely affect accuracy which is not the case.

The only effect it would have is maybe in your ability to hold the gun up with your support hand while shooting off-hand, due to the increased weight of a couple ounces.

Greyhunter, IF it were me I'd be either borrowing a set of muffs or headed home to get mine. Have had the Levang on a pencil barrel CAR15 16" for quite a while and like it a lot but it's no suppressor by any means,IMHO.

Ain't no free lunch on 16" barrels..Levang helps in that I don't bleed from my ears like the guys on both benchs next to me.

i tried the levang, then tried the DPMS 5.5 flash hider, wow !

yep, the 5.5 works awsome, love it.

really kills the blast from a 16'' barrel,
i even put a 5.5 on my 20'' rifle.

the DPMS 5.5 flash hider is much cheaper route to go.

peabody

If you put a 5 1/2 inch flash hider on a 16 inch carbine, what is the purpose? Why not just have a 22 inch barrel? Kind of defeats the purpose, JMO.

kevlars

Originally Posted By: kevlarsIf you put a 5 1/2 inch flash hider on a 16 inch carbine, what is the purpose? Why not just have a 22 inch barrel? Kind of defeats the purpose, JMO.

kevlars

because it works.

and its all i had. [im very very broke] gotta make do with what i haves.

it really kills the ''crack'' ..

looks weird, but i love it, shorty handguards and super skinny m4 barrel, with a 5.5 flash hider on it, and six position stock, i truly just love it.

lol, i really do like it alot.

i even putt a 5.5 on my ''rifle'' the retro sp1 20'' barrel,

i gotta say, that rifle is soooo soft n' smooth, and pretty quiet with the long hider on it.

smile.gif
peabody

Originally Posted By: kevlarsIf you put a 5 1/2 inch flash hider on a 16 inch carbine, what is the purpose? Why not just have a 22 inch barrel? Kind of defeats the purpose, JMO.

kevlars

That was my exact question here a while back, it would seem that your not really getting the intended benefit of either barrel length with that setup. Still long and unhandy, without the added velocity. But if it works for you, by all means use it. I used to have a 24" Colt and it was pretty quiet to shoot but carried like a fence post in the field. I sold that Colt to my buddy who wanted it because it was a Colt. After his second season with it, he has started to transform his old 16" Bushy into a calling rifle. The Colt is just no fun to hunt with.
I'm getting in the habit of carrying muffs regardless of barrel length, so I'll stick with my 20's and 16's. Mostly the 16".

Originally Posted By: UnkGreyhunter, IF it were me I'd be either borrowing a set of muffs or headed home to get mine. Have had the Levang on a pencil barrel CAR15 16" for quite a while and like it a lot but it's no suppressor by any means,IMHO.

Ain't no free lunch on 16" barrels..Levang helps in that I don't bleed from my ears like the guys on both benchs next to me.

Unk, are you saying that the Levang is quieter for the shooter or only for those off to the side?

This whole topic is why I'd get an 18" unthreaded barrel if I was going for a complete custom gun. By the time you add a Levang to a 16" barrel it ends up 18" anyway, but nobody offered an 18" barrel I was willing to pay for (or carry).

Greyhunter, IMHO, YES. Levang has front only directional ports. Now it may just be an illusion or my old ears playing tricks on me.

I also personally like the small amount of additional weight on the front of my 16" pencil barrel however I am not a Levang "fanboy", just seems to provide a benefit or two to me, YMMV.

kevlars

The purpose is to get the 16" to become the 20" I wish I had bought.
Not for the fps but for the muzzle blast releaf..
All my threaded barrels have 5.5's, even the 20".
Trying to save what's left of the ears.
(Hello--Hello, sorry just the ringing ears again)..
Good call Peabody

If your ever at a point were you've forgotten e-plugs,
Just borrow a couple rounds from the mag or that concealed carry you have
and insert them in your ear hole. They work better empty.

Back