Need help choosing GPS and mapping software

warpig602

I asked a few years back and my choices were limited, I'm hoping things have gotten better. Heres what I need:

A GPS unit and software that will allow me to upload the route from my GPS to the mapping software and show my route on the map as well as any landmarks I had put on as well. I would also like to do that in reverse i.e. plot a course and landmarks while using the software and then download it to my gps so I can have a pre determined route. (hope that made sense to everyone)Reason is I have been out with my current GPS and traveled all over and would like to have my traveled route displayed on a map rather than just some lines on a gps screen with nothing to guage them with.

Obviously I can just put in coordinates and have it take me there but I like being able to plot a course and bypass certain thing to make the trek as simple as possible. Other features would be a good size color screen, user friendly, topo capable. Simplicity is key. And ID like to stay in the 250-350 price range including the software. Am I dreaming?

For software, it's hard to beat Maptech Terrain Navigator Pro. It'll do everything you want. You get all the topo maps of your state and 1 years worth of air photo downloads off their website. Google their website, I think they even have a trial download. I like Garmin GPS's but others are just as good. Most GPS's do what you are looking for, color screens are a little extra, and then the unlimited bells and whistles add more price, but also add a lot of stuff you probably never use (like calculating glide paths for parachute jumps)

I definitely prefer Garmin. The problem I was running into before was finding software that would allow me to upload the info from my GPS and overlay it on a map and vice versa, create a route in the software and download rout and waypoints to the GPS unit. I was considering GPSMAP 60Cx or 60CxS, it looks like they will do what I am looking for but would like for hand knowledge from someone, or other units that will work that may be cheaper or more user friendly, I definitely dont need bells and whistles.

I believe all Garmins will do what you are wanting. I use the Rhino 520 HCX, Vista HCX and Legend HCX. As far as putting your routes on a map, Garmins mapsource or National Geographics Topo will both work. I havent done much with the Topo for a while and cant remember if you can create a rount and load to the Garmin GPS but I believe you can. The problem with Garmin GPS's is that you can only load Garmin maps onto them.

Originally Posted By: reb8600 I havent done much with the Topo for a while and cant remember if you can create a rount and load to the Garmin GPS but I believe you can. The problem with Garmin GPS's is that you can only load Garmin maps onto them.

I think this was the issue I was running into before, maybe I should look at Magellan or ???. I have a Rino 120 now and cant get my routes from the GPS onto a map and definitely not the other way around.

IIRC, Magellan can only use their own maps too and do not accept Maptech maps. At least mine didn't accept them.

I use a Garmin GPS Map 76CS for all of my gps needs. I have the Garmin Topo and the City Navigator software for it. I also use Maptech Terrain Navigator. I hook my gps to the computer via a usb cable and download the track/route right into the Maptech software. However, you cannot load the Maptech maps info into your Garmin. It is possible to load info from the Garmin Topo into the unit. MI VHNTR

Get ahold of our sponsor Kirsch. He makes maps for use on GPS's & I know that his work on modern Garmins. Not sure just what his will do, haven't used them. But some of the guys bought & used his stuff for the hunt & commented on how pleased they were with it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Stu FarishGet ahold of our sponsor Kirsch. He makes maps for use on GPS's & I know that his work on modern Garmins. Not sure just what his will do, haven't used them. But some of the guys bought & used his stuff for the hunt & commented on how pleased they were with it.

I have his for New Mexico and Wyoming. They work for showing land ownership but are not what he is looking for here.

Easy to use GPS, I would say a Garmin Oregon 400T. Now as far as the mapping, you just about have to use the Garmin Mapsourse program. You can built a route with waypoints on your computer and transfer them onto your GPS, very easy.

Once you get started, you will find out all kinds of info and things you can do. There are programs that you can do the route on the MapSource program and put it on a Magellan GPS.

Originally Posted By: Grampas ShopEasy to use GPS, I would say a Garmin Oregon 400T. Now as far as the mapping, you just about have to use the Garmin Mapsourse program. You can built a route with waypoints on your computer and transfer them onto your GPS, very easy.

Once you get started, you will find out all kinds of info and things you can do. There are programs that you can do the route on the MapSource program and put it on a Magellan GPS.

I assume I can do the reverse as well, take waypoints and routes fro mthe GPS and overlay them on a map on the computer? How is the Garmin mapping software? I looked at the Oregon but was trying to steer clear of touchscreens and big price tags.

Just went through that whole business with Garmin. I have a GPSMap 76Cx that I got used. I really like the unit, but got it with the CityMaps and the lock codes were maddening. Got with Garmin and the former owner and still couldn't get things worked out. So I have CityMaps on the computer but not on the unit!

The GPS unit and the handling program are what allow you to go back and forth between the unit and the computer. Garmin does that nicely. I have Trip and Waypoint Manager, but haven't had to use it to do that yet. The maps (themselves) in the program don't have alot to do with it.

I bought 2009 Topo US 100k, and it's very good, but found better maps for free off the internet, so I'm going to resell that. Got a 24k map that's way more detailed and easier to look at. (The website is on my other computer, but it was easy to find, just google Garmin Maps and Free.)

There's getting to be lots of features and technology to learn... I like the new unit, but I'm sad that I lost my old Magellan! I had that one figured out already!

I understand what you are looking to do. Ironically 5+ years ago, I provided a solution exactly for what you are looking for but people didn't want to mess around with uploading and downloading waypoints and tracks to their GPS so I went with a more more integrated solution. They wanted everything live on their GPS. This led to the creation of the TRAX series.

I also have a Google Earth version called TRAX PC which allows you to see the information overlayed on Google Earth. Google Earth does have some capabilities to integrate to your GPS and transfer basic information. It isn't as feature rich as some other tools for GPS integraion but still OK. The only downfall of using the TRAX series in this manner is I don't have AZ completed at this time.

As others have said using any version of MapSource is probably your best option, with a Garmin GPS.

Having it live o nmy GPS is definitely important. I just like having the flexibility. Ultimately its more important that I be able to upload and overlay my waypoints and routes than it is to download them to the gps. I was wondering if google earth could do that, I use Earth quite abit for scouting areas, mainly because my cell phone is Google based and everything is integrated via a google program/system(im a huge Google fan).

I would definitely be interested in your Google Earth application, any idea when AZ will be available?

A secondary question I have is it possible to run 2 seperate mapping programs? I imagine it would be? Say Mapsource for downloading to the GPS and using a different map for uploading or is mapsource a good enough product to handle both? Most people dont seem to have a good review of the mapsource product.

Yes you can do the reverse.

Ok, the main reason I like the Oregon with the touch screen is due to the small size of the unit and the screen being larger. One of the best GPS's that I had was a Magellan XL, which the screen was 2 times bigger than like the Garmin Vista. That big screen really spoils you. The XL was on an ATV that rolled and the GPS didn't survive.

I have both a Garmin GPSMAP 76CSx and the Oregon 400t. One or the other is with me and turned on all the time. Besides having the MapSource program, I also have the National Geographic TOPO Outdoor Recreation program for Kansas/Neb and Colorado. The Nat. Geo. programs, show private, blm & National Forest properties in different colors.

warpig602,

I don't have an ETA on AZ. The 2009 versions were just updated to 2010 and this just finished and there are a few huge shows coming up which are the current focus. After this, exploration of new states will begin. CO, Idaho, and Arizona are all on a short list. Availability of good GIS data is the key to if a map will work and if it will be a good sportsman's map.

As far as running two programs, you surely can do both and use both for what they are good at. MapSource is typically known most as a map transfer program. It can do more but this is what it is known for. Google Earth more for a viewing and scouting tool. Assuming I am able to produce the AZ map this year, give me a call or send me an email to remind me and I can potentially put together something custom for you. The best application I have ever used for uploading/downloading etc is OziExplorer. I could potentially create a GPS, Google Earth, Ozi combination. This would give you realtime maps on the GPS, Google Earth for scouting, and OziExplorer (or MapSource) for tracking, etc.

Korey Kirschenmann
Kirsch's Outdoor Products
kirschtrax@hotmail.com
(701) 261-9017

Back