6.8 SPC Stag Upper?

ShawnF

I went to my local looking for a 243 upper for my Colt 223 and was shown a Stag complete upper in 6.8 SPC. I don't know a lot about the cartridge, and have no first hand experience, but from what I've read, it seems like a good choice for everything from Coyote to deer size game. I've read in magazines that the cartridge has become pretty popular and a few companies are loading for it. The brass and dies are readily available, and it doesn't seem that the cartridge will die away any time soon. What does everyone here think about the 6.8 SPC? Any info is appreciated. I don't want to jump into this upper and then wish I had gone with the 243 instead. You guys set me straight on the Remmy 750, so help me out here.

Thanks all!

I should have done a better search before I posted this. It's been done. Sorry guys.
blushing.gif

Just to avoid any confusion you cannot use an AR10 (.243) upper on an AR15 (.223) lower. You would have to purchase a complete .243 caliber rifle.

Oh yeah? I didn't know that. Why can't the 243 upper be used with the 223 lower? Not that I don't believe you, but I'm curious.

I have a 6.8 that is my go to ar, to the point of having sold all but one of my .223 ar's. Anything the .223 does the 6.8 simply does better.

It's not going to do the same as a .243 but it wasn't ment to. It will knock a dog down at 400yds without any problems. You might try 68forums to learn more. blue

I've been checking that site out today. Lots of info. I think the 6.8 may be in my future. I'm leaning heavily toward buying it.

Originally Posted By: ShawnFOh yeah? I didn't know that. Why can't the 243 upper be used with the 223 lower? Not that I don't believe you, but I'm curious.

the .243 win is too long to fit in the magwell of the AR 15....it is based on the .308 case so it would have to be chambered in either a AR 10 or on of the other large platform ARs dpms lr 308 for example.

and the 6.8 is a great chambering or the AR 15, it won't do everything the .243 will but it will come close, and inside 300 yards you won't be able to tell the difference

That makes sense. I don't know why I didn't realize that. I really have to pay more attention.

So the 243 is the superior cartridge, huh?

Originally Posted By: ShawnF
So the 243 is the superior cartridge, huh?

strictly ballistically speaking is is better, not by leaps and bounds but it is better. but there are sacrifices you will have to make that go with the .243 over the 6.8

the bigger frame AR platforms are much heavier than standard ar 15 platforms.

a .243 will do the best in a 20" at the shortest or 22" barrel where as the 6.8 was designed around a 16" barrel

mags for the .243 will also be more expensive

it all comes down to your intended use for the gun

I bought a DPMS 308--AR-10, which is the same size as the 243 you are talking about, and after you scope and sling it it fells like a it weighs a ton to carry. I have a Bushmaster 6.8 and I will take it hunting and leave the heavy one in the safe.dIt really makes a difference when you are hunting. I loved the accuary at the range and the extra power but the 6.8 went hunting almost every time.Good luck with your decision.

I plan on using the 6.8 for anything from fox to deer. I like the lighter weight. I may end up humping it around quite a bit.

Back