Newbe needs help hetting started !

d2admin

Administrator
Ok I know all you die hard predator masters out there are just choping at the bit to help some of use new guys out , so I will make your day with this one .

I am 17 , and just started coyote hunting .
Been out once , and saw one "to bad the gun was in the truck" .

I have a general idea of what I am doing , but thats as far as it go's .

What I would like to know is what kinds of stuff am I gonna need ?
(ie: calls , camo , ect?)

I have the gun (savage Mod. 10 fp "who would have guessed ?") , and I have a place to hunt "loaded with yotes BTW" , and I have the will . What more do I need ? What call do you recommend for a beginer ? Do I need any kind of cover sent (fox piss ect ?) , what kind of camo do you recommend ?

I hunt in easteren Iowa (seems to be a few Iowa boys here).
The land that I hunt on is not more than 5 miles away from the Maquokata caves
"largest caves in Iowa" state park !

I plan to go out yate hunting in the next few weeks . Tell then I will try to learn all I can !

as far as calls go use any thing that you are well practiced with.it is very importent to use the calls efficently and naturaly,practice makes perfect.any animal distress call will work,rabbit-bird-rodent-kitten-puppy etc,etc.your camo must blend in with the surroundings.if theres snow on the ground use snow camo.face mask and gloves need to be worn.even in snowy conditions a face mask is nessesary.you would be surprised at how shinny a human face is in a snow coverd landscape.stand locations should be scouted out and set up in advance,this way when you go in to hunt you won't have to screw around trimming branches moveing leaves and so on.always use the wind to your advantage.if you go to a spot and the wind isn't the way you would like it,leave and go to another spot.save that one for when the wind is right.by not useing the wind all you will do is educate every predator(exspecialy coyotes)in the area.know the lay of the land,scout it out well before hunting.i also feel its importent to have many different spots to hunt(the more the better)you don't want to call the same hundred acers over and over,weekend after weekend.what you will discover is the predators that are there will stop resonding to your calling.over calling in one area educates the critters.i like to rotate areas,i do not hunt the same spot more than once in a week to week and a half period.i prefer every two weeks.if your useing a shot gun than cover scent will be a plus.just make sure you can see the down wind side at least 100 yards and give them something to run down like a hedgrow.you will have to be hidden.if your useing a riffle then the closeness won't be nessesary so cover scent may not be needed.but again you need to be able see in all directions.with a rifle i like to be out in the open with trees or something behind me.keep movement to a minamum and wear good camo and this isn't a problem.i think i'm rambling on here so i'll leave it at this.hope this helps.

Where is Silvis?

One thing that might help a bit is to team up with another hunter that has endured his hard knocks. There are a few IL. and IA. guys that pass through these forums, latch on to one and milk him for all he's worth!

The info above is good and covers a tremendous amount of territory. Keep reading these boards and you'll be exposed to years worth of experience painlessly - without having to get wet or cold and everything else.

The face camo is a very good point, I'll go in blue jeans and a flannel shirt, but not without face camo.

Good luck, get out there, and keep us posted.

Originally posted by Savage10fp:
Ok I know all you die hard predator masters out there are just choping at the bit to help some of use new guys out , so I will make your day with this one .

I am 17 , and just started coyote hunting .
Been out once , and saw one "to bad the gun was in the truck" .

I have a general idea of what I am doing , but thats as far as it go's .

What I would like to know is what kinds of stuff am I gonna need ?
(ie: calls , camo , ect?)

I have the gun (savage Mod. 10 fp "who would have guessed ?") , and I have a place to hunt "loaded with yotes BTW" , and I have the will . What more do I need ? What call do you recommend for a beginer ? Do I need any kind of cover sent (fox piss ect ?) , what kind of camo do you recommend ?

I hunt in easteren Iowa (seems to be a few Iowa boys here).
The land that I hunt on is not more than 5 miles away from the Maquokata caves
"largest caves in Iowa" state park !

I plan to go out yate hunting in the next few weeks . Tell then I will try to learn all I can !

Savage,
Howlers will work around here this time of year. If you can get Randy Andersons video tape it will give you a good idea of what to expect when a coyote comes to the call plus some other useful information. I do not use a cover scent but plan to shoot the coyote before he gets downwind of me and catches my scent. Yote Hunter.

[This message has been edited by Yote Hunter (edited 03-06-2001).]

Savage, I would recommend using a closed reed call for starters. Try one of Ed Sceery's closed reed rabbit calls. For camoflauge I would reccommend just wearing a top that matches your environment. If you are calling in a timbered area or in heavy cover, I would use something to camoflauge your face. In my open country, I don't camoflauge my face as I try to shoot them before they realize what I am. A willing coyote, a call, a gun and a good place to call are all that is required. Listen and learn. Wiley E

CLOSED REED HANDCALLS GET USED TO THE PITCHES AND YIPS AND ALL THAT THEN GET A OPEN REED CALL OR JUST START WITH A DECENT E CALL AND A RABBIT DISTRESS THEY ARE EASY TO USE.

A FEW GOOD KNIVES ARE HANDY FLASHLIGHTS AND ALL THAT GOOD STUFF. I TAKE ALOT MORE THAN MOST PROBABLY TAKE LIKE MOSTLY BASIC SURVIVAL STUFF BUT I GUESS IM WEIRD

Savage,

I am also new to the sport and I have learned an incredible amount from these threads. JoeF has the right idea. My advice is read and learn. I'm hunting in Southwestern Wisconsin so I know what kind of conditions you're looking at. Good luck and post how your hunt goes.

Back