Help, I just got this, now, I gotta put it on!

TexasTexas95

Ok yall, I just got the new "Advanced Half Quad" aluminum freefloat handguard from Rock River Arms to replace the Standard freefloat tube that came on my RRA Varmint, and I have a few questions about it. A. How am I gonna put it on now that I got it? I don't think I have all the tools necessary. B. This advanced half quad is in between the old half quad, and the new advanced half quad. Whats up with that? Here is what I have...
url]
[/img]
8ac7e84e.jpg

Here is a link to the old Quad and the new Advanced Quad
Old Half Quad

New Advanced Half Quad

I like it and all, just wondering what happened to it? If I had my way, this is exactly how I would have made them anyhow. I like the look of the old slots, but I also like the new style of the Advanced Quad with the dimpling for grip, and the drilled holes near the top look cool too.

Last edited:
Have fun your not going to take it in to have it put on. You brave. I think i seen something on youtube about change it out. Ill look and let you know.http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to-install-free-float-handguard-ar-15-rifle-267096/view/

Last edited:
I might be wrong but looks like the new tube you bought is made for a midlength gas system, and the gun you want to put it on is a rifle length gas system. Maybe the pic is decieving, but isnt it a lot shorter than your current tube?
Looks like a good excuse to build another upper to me.

Having never install that model I cant say for sure but this is what I think your going to have to do.

1: remove the gas tube/block.

2:remove the current tube which is probably holding the barrel on.

3: Install the new tube/replace the gas tube/block.

It should have come with instructions?

Last edited:
Did you try unscrewing the original one with a strap wrench?? Unless it's an oddity,,, that should be all you need..

I am changing it because I wanted one since they first came out. It will make my AR just stand out a little and since I want to use it to hunt at night sometimes, it would be nice to mount a big flashlight or a laser on the sides. Right now, I can only mount a light to the top of my gas block since it is the only thing on my rifle with the picatinny rails. (other than my upper reciever of course which already holds my scope.)
No, I have not tried to unscrew it with a strap wrench yet since I dont want to screw anything up and since I don't really have time to take off the gas block and put it all back together before my next hunt.
How hard is it to take off the gas block? This did not come with instructions. I will research gas block removals. Anyone here done one?

Most just have a couple set screws on the bottom. Back 'em out and pull out the block with the tube still attached. You "should" have a receiver block to hold the upper in a vise so you can unscrew the old FF tube with a strap wrench. Rock Rivers are notoriously tight, you're probably gonna need some elbow grease to go along with the vise and strap wrench.

Or for $20 and 5 minutes or so, a 'smith can do it for you.

I recommend sending it to someone who has the right tools and won't ding it up. The $65 or so you'll spend is worth getting it done right.

jlindholm, I heard the RockRiver handguards were tough to unscrew, so I thought I might should let a pro handle it so I dont mess things up. I just didnt know if there was a trick to it. About all I can do by myself is assemble a lower and throw on a tack latch. Thats about as deep as my gunsmithing skills swim.

Scott, if it didn't cost me $20 bucks each way shipping, I would happily pay you $65 bucks for you to do it for me. I just don't know of any reliable guys here in town to do it. Coldwarshooters here in ElPaso cant do it. I know that because I am there almost every day haha! BTW, did you talk Pitman into an upper yet? He whines and tells me everyday he is gonna get one of those sweet custom Specialized Dynamics uppers and I am about tired of him talkin the talk and not walkin the walk.LOL!

Stop being so tight and send it to Scott so he can put it on for you and I dont have to hear your whining about your new paper weight.LOL

Back