any ideas guys on a 6.5 grendel

inthemiddle

I have a weatherby supervarmint master in a 22-250 that I was going to sell but I starting kicking around the idea of rechambering it to a 6.5 grendel. Is that possible and if so do you guys recomend anyone to do the work. Thanks

Sure it's possible but for varmint hunting purposes, your current caliber is considerably better. If you want to shoot larger game, the Grendel is better but if that is your goal, there are many better calibers for a bolt gun. The Grendel was designed to be a major ballistic upgrade on the AR15 platform not to compete with existing bolt action oriented cartridges.

I suspect that any good gunsmith can do the work you desire. Don

Last edited:
Thanks Don, I want to cull my herd of coyote rifles. This gun just sits and never gets used, I want to have a larger gun for calling in cougar. Maybe I should sell the weatherby and purchase a ar. I wish rra made one in a grendel.

Originally Posted By: inthemiddleThanks Don, I want to cull my herd of coyote rifles. This gun just sits and never gets used, I want to have a larger gun for calling in cougar. Maybe I should sell the weatherby and purchase a ar. I wish rra made one in a grendel.

Saber Defence makes rifles in the Grendel chambering.
The case heads of the 22-250 and the Grendel are close, but the Grendel is .030 smaller. Don't know if that's an issue or not? Worth asking a gunsmith about anyway.

Well, the difference would be the size of bullet for the most part...224 vs .264, a big difference in actual killing power, the 22/250 would be great out to 350 but the 6.5 would easily go over 500... the cost would be alot more for the 6.5 bullets compared to the .224's..more powder, dies would be a little more, recoil would be more on the .264, that 6.5 is extremely accurate and I would think one put together by a good smith would outshoot any 22/250 anytime at any distance..do not count the the Grendel out off the bench, I've seen two chambered in BAT actions that were almost as accurate as the PPC and BR's..they really get er' done..similar to the 6.5 x 47 Lapua..go the 6BR website and read a ton of material about this new bee..

Thanks Frank for the info, Ive got a 204 ruger and a 223 for varmints I just don't seem to use the 22-250 anymore actually I havent shot in 3 years. I'll give a gunsmith a call tomorrow and see what he thinks.

IMHO if it were my rifle and I wanted it chambered to a larger cartridge in the 6.5. Here would be my 1,2,3 choices.
1.) 6.5 x284
2.) 6.5 creedmor
3.) 6.5 AI

Grendel is good in AR. I would not set it up in a bolt gun. Anyways, good luck and have fun

Originally Posted By: inthemiddleThanks Don, I want to cull my herd of coyote rifles. This gun just sits and never gets used, I want to have a larger gun for calling in cougar. Maybe I should sell the weatherby and purchase a ar. I wish rra made one in a grendel.

I will add my 2 cents. If you are wanting to rebarrel it you should STRONGLY consider a 260 Remington. Your bolt is the right size and it uses the extremely high .264 BC bullets (6.5mm) and uses a 308 win. case family (308,7mm08,243 ect.) This swap would simply require a barrel change and you are in business. I CANNOT say enough great things about the 260 remmy as it truly has it all- low recoil, EXTREMELY accurate, flat shooting, and very cheap to reload for with ALOT of compenents available plus it is a FACTORY round.
If you want an AR, Rock River now offers a "Coyote Carbine" in 6.8 SPC that out performs the grendel out to 300 yards and has alot more factory loadings and reloading components.
As stated, there are WAY better calibers in a bolt action platform so for that, I say re barrel to 260 remmy or sell and buy an AR and go 6.8SPC II or 264LBC/6.5 Grendel if you reload!

Last edited:
Back