AZ Coyote Hunt Locations?

ctracingraptor

I'm new to the predator hunting concept, but and highly interested in hunting coyotes. I currently own a 17HMR for varmints, but am in the market to buy a 204 Ruger, if the whole predator hunting concept for me works out. I guess i'm currently pretty much scounting at this point. The area i am looking to hunt in is east of Lake Pleasant off of the highway 74. But i am willing to travel around for a good hunting spot but it has to be North Phoenix either east towards lake pleasant or west by bartlett lake and seven springs. Also i am willing to go off the 87 to slate creek area just outside payson. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

There's no coyote down here in Tucson. My mates up in Phoenix have the same problem. Try Utah.

Last edited:
i hear the them regularly when im out rabbit or bird hunting. i understand that im not going to simply stumble across them while walking around, i know i need a blind or similar and call box or call. just trying to find out if someone was wiling to share some info to a newbie

I'm just messin with you. Predator hunting is an obssession and you'll see soon enough. Start obsessing about the wind. Park somewhere where the truck isn't easily seen. Then walk out with the wind in your face. I have a piece of thread tied to my antenna and I can stop my truck and see what the wind is doing. Find a nice tree or tall bush and use that to break up your outline. Try to have shade on you as well although I've called em with the sun beaming right on me. An advantage of an ecall. Place your ecall if you're using one downrange about 20 to 50 yards. Practice your own call sequences, but primarily rabbit or bird sounds will peak their interest. As far as the areas you mentioned, I've never hunted but I feel I can say Arizona is pretty much INFESTED with coyote. So you're in the right place. Get out and call, then call some more.

I think you may have your directions mixed up a little as Lake pleasant is on the north west side and Bartlett and Seven Springs are on the north east side. The area north of 74east of Pleasant is annexed by the city of Peoria and or Glendale if I'm not mistaken. But if you take 74 west of Lake Pleasant there is alot of country that is open.
Where abouts in Phx are you located?

Why not check out the Phoenix Varmint Callers. I joined in 1985 and learned how to call in predators after a seasoned member took me hunting. You missed this month's meeting but April 6th will be the next meeting. Meetings are at 12851 n 19th av at the FOP lodge. Location is close for you too. Also check out the web site www.pvci.org.

Its not likely most guys will be telling you where their honey holes are. I am sure if they have a good spot, it took them many miles and gallons of gas to find and will not just tell you where to go. One of the great things about predator hunting is getting out and exploring some new country. There are predators all over. You just have to put in the time and it will eventually pay off.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: motoxIts not likely most guys will be telling you where their honey holes are. I am sure if they have a good spot, it took them many miles and gallons of gas to find and will not just tell you where to go. One of the great things about predator hunting is getting out and exploring some new country. There are predators all over. You just have to put in the time and it will eventually pay off.

thumbup1.gif
I've dropped a few spots to guys but with the growing number of predator hunters I'll have no spots left if I gave everybody a spot. Too many coyotes in AZ to not be able to find 'em. Too bad we can't sit on the green on golf courses! Find a dirt road, check every wash you cross for tracks, and watch the edge of the road for skat and keep an eye out for bunnies. Find those signs and you'll find coyotes.

calling close to town like that is tough because there are a lot of callers and the coyotes get educated because a few of them miss . either walk a long ways in ; or go to McNeal or window rock or some place like that where the ratio of callers per coyote is less. probably the best thing you can do is hook up with someone in the club to show you. good luck

I mule deer hunted on the east side of horseshoe lake and had a good size coyote walk up within 10 yds of me one morning while I was walking in to my spot. I was wearing a backpack and carrying my rifle on my shoulder, so no way I could of got a shot. I spent the week there hunting and could hear them howling every nite while I was trying to go to sleep. You have to drive thru the river to get there, and back during deer season the river was real low. You could always hike in across horseshoe dam. Just can't drive across the gate is locked

Tarey

I'm new to the area, used to belong to Riverside Varmint club in Ca. Any clubs around Prescott? I don't mind driving a little.
Would like to meet a couple of guys to hunt with.

Bob

I was just in Tucson for the Spring Grand trap shoot. This was my first time ever to be in AZ. All I can say about the area is it sure is BEAUTIFUL!!! I wish I could have done some hunting while I was there!!

Also looking for areas i have had a lil luck near red rock but not as good as i would like to be. let me know if any one in tucson wants to go out i would love to join and kill some thing. let me know . also my email is dante12785@gmail.com. i have a great spot to. like i said having trouble calling.

Back