How do I get the stink out of a pronghorn?

SJ72

Didn't know which forum to post this in but I thought more people would see it here. I recently got my Antelope mount back from the taxidermist. I hung it in my reloading room and it looks nice. The only problem is, It still smells like an antelope.
sick.gif
Is there a way to make my antelope not smell like an antelope. Any help will be appreciated.

LOL... Lord, forgive me, but it might as well read:

Jeremiah 13:23 Can the Ethiopian change his skin, the leopard its spots, or the pronghorn his stink?

smile.gif

That's a good tip on the dryer sheets, though- definitely worth a try. We use to reduce/eliminate cigarette smoke smell in guitar cases.

It depends on where the stink is coming from. If it is from the gland along the jaw line it means it was tanned improperly and you are out'a luck. If it is because your taxidermist did not clean the meat and hair from underneath the horns then you have a whole different issue to deal with. Now if it is just a mild antelopey (sorry technical term) smell then it is just the nature of the beast. The horns themselves have a smell even if you scrub them to a polish. If the smell is really strong though I highly suspect the problem is one of the first two things I mentioned. Properly tanned and cleaned antelope do not have a strong smell, mild perhaps, but not strong.

The smell is not really strong, It is just that it is in a small room so you can smell it when you go in. Once in the room for just a few min. you don't really notice it so much. It does not smell like anything rotten, just smells like an antelope, like when you walk up on one just after you kill it. Kinda like haveing an antelope air freshener. Don't think they would sell very well.

Quote:Kinda like haveing an antelope air freshener. Don't think they would sell very well.

Yeah, kinda like trying to sell antelope flavoring.
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

I expect most of the smell is coming from the horns. Get up close to those horns and give'em a big whiff. About the only thing you can do to reduce that smell a little is spray them with Fabreeze or Lysol. Neither will hurt the horns. It will help but nothing will fully eliminate the smell from the outside of the horns.

How about posting a photo of the mount? I'd love to see what you got.

Back