Calf Killing Coyotes ~Story & Pics~

rockinbbar

Coyotes get pretty brave when they are around a headquaters on a ranch. This particular promlem comes from the Texas ranch. Heifers are usually calved out in the large pasture out in front of the house.

The heifers usually take longer to calve, and therefore are vulnerable longer to predators....in this case coyotes.
cursing.gif

While we get down there try & control as much a we can, especially around the headquarters, if you wait awhile, new coyotes move into the territory....which is what has happed here.
Last year I even got pictures of a newborn calf that had been killed and eaten by coyotes.

crowcows.jpg

calf2.jpg

Barbara went with her family to give them a hand at the San Angelo Stock Show, and I stayed behind and worked with targeting the coyotes there at the headquarters.

The first stand of the first morning I queitly got into the area and set up where I could see a good distance and started calling...
Almost instantly, a pair broke out of the brush and headed in...I had the sun to my back as it was peeking over the horizon and they were lit up great!
Then another male came out about 100 yards to the pairs' right.

This was a big dominant male, and he made up for being behind the pair and gained ground on them heading to the call.

This male actually passed the pair, and was in the lead...as they were coming in, at about 200 yards they pair held up, looking at the big male. Almost as soon as they had him spotted, they started hesitating, and acted more submissive to the big male, although there was two of them. It was at that time that I knew I had a CHOICE TO MAKE...
unsure.gif

Do I kill the male, or try for the pair?

I decided the male being what he is, is probably one of the killers that had been killing calves, so I picked my shot and put him down with one shot at about 150 yards.
smile.gif

Then, I swung the AR over to the remaining pair that was quickly gaining the advantage of cover, only to watch them disappear as coyotes will...
angry.gif

In situations like this, I would PREFER to have the coyotes come in single & slow...but, as you know, that doesn't happen often enough, so we make the best with what we have.

Here's that first big male:

morningmale.jpg

I must say that all the coyotes presented a rather stiking picture as they were all three coming in with the pink light of daybreak shining in their faces as I looked on through the NightForce.
rolleyes.gif

The next stand more to the East of where I called got in a pair that were pretty hard chargers...at least the male was. THe female hung back somewhat, but I made the shot on the male and quicly swung around to deal the female some misery....

I managed to track her fine in the NightForce....(I use the mildot reticle) and got lead in her, but she wasn't hit very hard.
thumbdown.gif
I lost track of her, and sent Buster out after her.

I saw he Buster had her held up in a mesquite tree and was actually tangling with her a bit.

buster-2.jpg

I made quick work of her, and started out again on my mission.

Heading further East, I called in a brave female that actually came right by the truck to "back door" me...
cursing.gif

Like I said, they can come in from the least favorable ways and directions....but, as she circled me and went a little closer to the sound of the call, she got sight of the MOJO Critter I had running in a clear spot next to the caller....
That was all it took! She threw caution to the wind and came into the stand. I layed her down with a shot as she decided that something was up as she smelled me at the Critter..

Critteryote.jpg

Amazing how using small details like decoy can turn a bad stand into a successful one.
thumbup.gif

The wind picked up and the coyotes shut it down, but yje next day was OK for awhile...

I called just South of a draw that had a dirt tank & this huge male came in ready to kick butt! He stpped to survey the area as he entered the stand, and a 55 gr V-Max caught him dead center of the chest. Game over for him!
cool.gif

NFyote2.jpg

Got another nice coyote in and put the hurt on it as well...

NFyote.jpg

All in all, I got 7 of the pesky critters. They won't kill calves again.

The wind picked up, and I decided to go try my new NightForce on some prarie dogs and do the ranch some good there too!

Besides, it's a good chance to really "wring out" that scope and see what it can do....But, that's another story!
w00t.gif

NFPDs.jpg

Thanks for looking!

I hope your late season is going well!
thumbup1.gif

Barry

HOM%20-%20Banner.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Good shooting. I need to get serious as kid goat / lambs are starting to drop and I'm seeing some heavy doe's fixin' to do the same.
Can I ask the obvious, what call(s)were you using?

I've seen some BIG coyotes on our place, at long range during deer season I've mistaken them for deer stepping out until they turn broadside showing the tail. Look more like big brown sheppards or wolves.

Last edited:
Catman,

I generally start out with a qiueter sound, like a cotton tail...DSG Cottontail is a good one, or Jackrabbit Duet, then play that for a couple of minutes, slowly raising the volume and getting the sound further out there.

Then I'll switch to something that really gets out there, sound-wise...Like Lightning Jack, or Jackrabbit Distress.

The idea is to motivate the coyotes that are farther from the stand at that point. But, to be honest, out of the close to 20 coyotes we have called and killed in the past couple of weeks, most have been fairly CLOSE to the stand, with hardly any coming in from afar.

About the latest one was at the 6 minute mark. The rest were closer by far...usually before the 4 minute mark.

Tony, as husky as that first male was, the last big male was way bigger and more grizzly for sure!
blink.gif

That was this one...

NFyote2.jpg

It had really been scraping & fighting.
Something had taken a pretty good sized chunk out of him as well...

NFyote3.jpg

I was really suprised at what he weighed when I picked him up.
I didn't get the de-liars out...(scales)
lol.gif
But he weighed over 35 pounds...had some age to him as well.

Barry

Darn, I'm moving to Texas, 7 dogs in one day? I have not seen 7 dogs this season...Great story man, thanks for sharing

Sounds like you had an fun time out there. You said there was a lot out there, looks like you put the smack down on them. Nice story and great pics. I wish I was there.

That's a LOT of coyotes!!! We've had 4-8" of snow on the ground up here and I've seen ONE coyote in the past 3 weeks. After getting my Suzuki stuck and then trying to CRUNCH.. CRUNCH... CRUNCH... my way across the snow to a stand, I've given up until the snow melts.

The good news is that I got a "Kojo" decoy to try out.

great story and photos Barry, good to hear someone is having luck rite now!always great reading yours and TT stories.

Taking care of ranch business & having a good time while you are at it....cant beat that for a days worth of work.

Back