Got Lucky This Morning!!! Looooong, as usual!

I was out walking my dog (black Lab) 2 days ago and I run into a friend of mine just walking and we got to talking and he said "it feels pretty good for -25" Wow I didn't notice, the wind was calm for a change, I thought maybe it was 10 or 15 below, but then I was dressed to the hilt.

Although the cold felling instantly goes away at the sight of an incomming target, numbness however, is still there, and with multiple layers, one has to be very conscientious of a light trigger pull. The mittens with the velcro opening in the front are really nice for this occation. It can still be a battle at trigger time. Just when you think you've got it, your scopes foged up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Cold weather really raises the odds for misses.

As usuall, great story Silverfox. Very descriptive.

Brad

Revisiting the ImageStation red x problem today, I had to right click on my photos in my post, do the properties thing, copy properties, paste in the Address bar and hit Enter to bring them up. Then hit the Back button and the first two showed up. However, photo #3, at the bottom, gave the "Forbidden Access" message. I went to ImageStation, and when I went to view that particular photo in my Album, there was nothing but a red x inside the frame! I uploaded another, smaller byte size photo of the same scene, placed it in my Album, and then linked it to my first post. It now shows up, but for how long? Who knows!!! I hope they get it fixed, cause I kind of like ImageStation, even though they have their little glitches once in awhile.

Sounds like and exciting hunt. Man I feel for you, I get cold at 30 degrees here. I do wish we could get some snow here, but then there is that whole cold thing. I'll take 40 and calm any day. Good job and keep us updated on your next hunt.

Well, I hosted the three photos at the top of this thread on PhotoBucket to see if I can get some relief for you folks from the dreaded red x. If you begin to use PhotoBucket, be ready for a little learning curve to hit you. You will need to size your photos to the 640 x 380 range, and also be cognizent of the naming conventions used by PhotoBucket. You should only use alphabetic and numeric characters in your file names.

Great story and photos. You're much younger looking than I expected. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif You earned that coyote and the free pass to hunt the ranch. You are one hardcore hunter my friend!

Weasel-UT--Thanks for the compliment, but NO, I won't put you in as the beneficiary in my last will and testament /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

You're much younger looking than I expected.
Most people say that to me when they find out how old I really am /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Here's a photo of me and two yotes I howled in a couple years ago. There were 4 in the pack and these two came in close enough to shoot.

LeRoy_2_yotes_howled_in--small.jpg

and here's a photo of my bride and me on the occasion of our 35th wedding anniversary. Yep, those are the same clothes we wore when we were married back in 1966!!

LandM-35_Years.jpg

WWWHHHHHEEEEEEEEWWWWWW And everyone said that coyote hunters would never get a good girl to put up with there hunting! Great pics silverfox and a mighty fine partner you got there. We really need to try to set up a hunt together pretty soon and really compare notes.

Well I'll be! You've got a couple of years on me and really do look young. I look old enough to be your.......uh....er....older brother! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Great anniversary photo, 35 plus years qualifies you and your beautiful bride to give advise to the young couples contemplating marriage.
Oh, I wasn't hoping for much in your will, just a rifle or two would suit me fine! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Truth be known, I'll probably be gone long before you are. I should have taken better care of myself. :rolleyes:

You know Weasel-UT, I have heard quite a few folks say, "If I'd a known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself," and maybe there's a song with those words in it, I don't know. However, remember, there's no time like the present to start taking better care of yourself--it may help quite a bit.

nd coyote killer--yep, I'm pretty happy with my gal. She sure puts up with a lot of crap from me and still keeps me around.

Now, about us hunting together, I'm not sure about that--maybe all you want to do is find out where my honey holes for coyotes are located.
Smiley--weird_faces.gif

I enjoyed the story, Silverfox. Made me feel like I was there with you, well...almost. I'd have to go stand outside for a while in my skivies to come close to being that cold. I hunted in Iowa one morning when the farmer's thermometer on his barn said -13, tape player wouldn't work....fingers wouldn't work...and the coyotes wouldn't work. They were smarter than we were. Face hair all iced up, glasses all frosted up. Have you ever had an ammo problem at those temps? I had a hangfire one very cold day in January a few years back...first and only one I've ever had.

They say the Foxpro works to 40 below. Anybody wanna volunteer to test that claim?

Great story and pics....hardy souls you people from the Dakotas.

Terry

Terfisil
I had my foxpro out in 31 below and one day that it was 39 below and i'm sad to say that something is wrong with it. It dosen't play half as loud anymore! i need to look into it to see where the problem is and maybe contact foxpro they have always been real good to me

Silverfox
Now you know that i would never do anything like that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif who me? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

TerFisIL--I'm pretty sure the FoxPro would work just fine at -40º--all you need to do is make sure you have your battery pack charged and that the battery in the remote is a good one. It is a digital caller, so there are no motors, belts, or other moving parts that really take a lot of power to rotate when it is cold. I have been out on days that were at the -32º mark and had no problem with my FoxPro. The coyotes didn't respond--like you said--I was the only dumb one out there. They were hunkered down someplace keeping warm!!! But, as they say, you can't call 'em in if you ain't out there tryin' /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Back