stuck shell in my sizing die ?

bushy

Well tonight it finally happened to me...I got a 223 brass so stuck in my rcbs sizing die that it pulled the rim right off and I am wondering if anybody has any tricks to rectify this situation or am I going to have to make a trip to Sportsman's tomorrow to buy a new die?

You can send it to the die maker and they can remove it.

or-you can purchase a stuck case removing tool. You can also make a tool, but I don't think I can explain how well enough without pics.

They sell a remover kit for about 6 bucks. It's a drill, a tap and a screw.
Do a search there are a few threads on this. I use a morgan knocker (slide
hammer) instead of tapping it and pulling it with a screw.

Sportsman's should have a stuck case remover. Mine is an RCBS but I think most of them are the same concept of drilling a hole thru the primer pocket and srewing a tap into it and then pulling out the offending case with a screw. I have had to use mine several times over the years.

Dont sweat it. We have all done it. Some folks like me have done it over a dozen times. It happens.

This is undoubtedly NOT the recommended method, but what I did was took the die out of the press and remopve the decapping rod/pin from the die. Put it on top of a vice (kind you use in a drill press, etc)bottom down on the floor that had a socket (big enough to fit just above the OPEN jaws of the vice but not tightened between the jaws) that supports the die and yet leaves an opening between the vice jaws for the casing to fall into the socket head. I then put a steel dowl or even a screwdriver down the middle of the die and into the casing til it rests on the inside of the casing head. The smack it hard a couple of times with a small sledge with the socket supporting the die. Presto the casing has always come out without causing any damage to the die or even the screwdrivers I've used. Also, just might wanna spray some WD around the edge of the shellcasing and let it set for a few before smackin the screwdriver or dowl. Gotta clean the die afterwards though. Hope thats not too confusing but the idea of the socket is just to support the die and give the casing the space to drop out of the die. Works like a charm and don't have to waste time sending the die in.

Originally Posted By: ShynlocoThis is undoubtedly NOT the recommended method, but what I did was took the die out of the press and remopve the decapping rod/pin from the die. Put it on top of a vice (kind you use in a drill press, etc)bottom down on the floor that had a socket (big enough to fit just above the OPEN jaws of the vice but not tightened between the jaws) that supports the die and yet leaves an opening between the vice jaws for the casing to fall into the socket head. I then put a steel dowl or even a screwdriver down the middle of the die and into the casing til it rests on the inside of the casing head. The smack it hard a couple of times with a small sledge with the socket supporting the die. Presto the casing has always come out without causing any damage to the die or even the screwdrivers I've used. Also, just might wanna spray some WD around the edge of the shellcasing and let it set for a few before smackin the screwdriver or dowl. Gotta clean the die afterwards though. Hope thats not too confusing but the idea of the socket is just to support the die and give the casing the space to drop out of the die. Works like a charm and don't have to waste time sending the die in.

Well you know this question has to come. How did you get the decapping rod and expander plug out of the case to do that. One time befor I got my stuck case remover I though that would work but the expander plug won't come out. Got the rod out once though but still couldn't get by the expander plug.

In acase of a stuck case don't screw around, just get a stuck case remover and be done with it. They are cheap to a fault!!!

If you don't want to wait for UPS to bring you a stuck case remover, just make a trip to the hardware store.

You will need a

1/4x20 tap
#7 drill bit
1/4x20x 1-1/2" allen head screw
1/4 flat washer

Drill out the primer pocket and tap. Get a socket that fits over the base of the brass and rests on the bottom of the die. Thread your allen screw thru the socket and into the brass. Then you just keep tightening until the brass pops out.

This is the same set up as a stuck case remover, except they use a steel cup instead of a socket.

Originally Posted By: Don Fischer

Well you know this question has to come. How did you get the decapping rod and expander plug out of the case to do that.

Funny,,, I was wondering the same thing?????

I also agree with Don as far as getting the right tool for the job since you WILL need it again someday..
The list of parts Brent gave you will work too. Like he said,, "it's the same parts that will come with the case remover"..
Either way,, I'd leave the Hammers and Vice Grips out of the equasion..
JMO

Well Don you just had to spoil the fun didn't you...lol. Its called having extra expander balls around. (You can get parts from Midsouth and I keep extra decapping rods, pin and expander balls in stock) I was able to unscrew the expander ball end from the rod each time and remove it without any damage. As for the expander ball itself, say bye, bye. Can't get it all sometimes so you have to sacrifice. Still beats sending in the entire die. Guess I'm cheap and hate the down time. Told you it wasn't exactly conventional. But you're right, get a case remover and have it ready to go. I've been darn lucky thus far having only had to use my BRUTAL method a few times.

Originally Posted By: RePeteOriginally Posted By: Don Fischer

Well you know this question has to come. How did you get the decapping rod and expander plug out of the case to do that.

Funny,,, I was wondering the same thing?????

I also agree with Don as far as getting the right tool for the job since you WILL need it again someday..
The list of parts Brent gave you will work too. Like he said,, "it's the same parts that will come with the case remover"..
Either way,, I'd leave the Hammers and Vice Grips out of the equasion..
JMO

Another with the same question. Only way I could do it was after getting the case loose, then cutting off whats left of the head of the case and pulling the decaping rod out the bottom of the case.

Originally Posted By: RustydustSportsman's should have a stuck case remover. Mine is an RCBS but I think most of them are the same concept of drilling a hole thru the primer pocket and srewing a tap into it and then pulling out the offending case with a screw. I have had to use mine several times over the years.

Dont sweat it. We have all done it. Some folks like me have done it over a dozen times. It happens.

laugh.gif
tt2.gif
Speak for yourself
tt2.gif
laugh.gif
I have not had one YET
grin.gif
, but since I said that i'll wind up getting one
cry.gif
blushing.gif
where is some wood to knock on?

My time is coming.

DAB

Originally Posted By: DABOriginally Posted By: RustydustSportsman's should have a stuck case remover. Mine is an RCBS but I think most of them are the same concept of drilling a hole thru the primer pocket and srewing a tap into it and then pulling out the offending case with a screw. I have had to use mine several times over the years.

laugh.gif
tt2.gif
Speak for yourself
tt2.gif
laugh.gif
I have not had one YET
grin.gif
, but since I said that i'll wind up getting one
cry.gif
blushing.gif
where is some wood to knock on?

My time is coming.

DAB

Took me 15 YEARS to stick my first one. Did it again a couple of months later. Over 20 years since that happened so I might be overdue.

Chris112

Back