Final day of the season....

sdb777

Well, the season ended on the 23rd(Season ended on the 20th!!! I don't know which calendar I was looking at but forgive the inaccurate date) and I'm just now getting around to this....I'm getting old(er)!

Kept the kid home from school for the final day(for us) of crow season, I know.....government run schools need him there for further brainwashing..... And having back problems, my mind has been wandering anyway....

Asked him to get the Ruger 77/22 Hornet and handloaded 35gr VMAX's, a couple of my crows calls that we had turned/finished together and my truck keys. I grabbed the guille suits and the shooting mats(I'm not laying in the mud/wet/whatever anymore(did I mention I'm getting old(er)/wiser?)!

We got to the hunting place at about 615am, after a quick stop for some McDonalds coffee(for me), and breakfast something that looks like egg(for the son). Finished up the coffee and placed the bag and the decoys around on the hillside, got the shooting mats unrolled(very comfortable-NO rocks poking you in the belly kind of comfortable), and got everything else laid out for the mornings fun. Figured todays range at about 95yards to the decoy cluster....good enough, almost a 'chip shot' for the 22Hornet.

Blew a short burst of UH-UH-UHH, got an immediate answer from directly behind us, so one more UH-UH-UHH, and there he came...landing on the hillside. Ranged at 99yards(thank you Mr. Nikon rangefinder guy), I relayed the range to the son and his response was do you have the camera on him? I'm gonna fire if you do?!?!?

Where the freak is the camera.....I forgot to tell him to get it, and I failed to get it myself.

BANG! High five time, and a scattered crow(hard to beat that little 35gr Hornady VMAX and a good dose of H-4227). Kind of like a pillow-fight with a black pillow. The first is always the most exciting to me, but he knew there would be more for the day. I still saw that crap-eating-grin!!

Never really warmed up during the day, but hey...it is February! and it wasn't raining!!! The son ended up getting 15 crows that day before the action died off around 1030am. Not the best he's ever done, but good enough to get him smiling from ear-to-ear! BTW, he's 13 going on 30 soon....ah, the time flies!

Scott (remember the camera.....) B

Last edited:
Your location is listed as Cabot Arkansas, but season went out the 20th here. I'm up near Searcy. What kind of shooting mats you using? Something soft and waterproof would be nice for some of the places I coyote hunt. I went the last day and killed a couple.

Wait a minute, what the crap was last Thursday?

*Looking at calendar, and feeling stupid!*
Even my son is getting in on the action now......good grief!

I am sorry for posting the incorrect date. Thursday, the 18th of February.... Wanted to go Friday, but that didn't happen(the wife must be obeyed). And Saturday the 20th would have been the season closing date.

Please accept my apologee?

Scott (crows can be taken if their going to do something mischievous) B

Last edited:
Back