night vision scopes

I have used the thermal imaging scope and they certainly work if you spend the bucks. I will stick to my light.

I just got a gen 1 ATN rifle scope yesterday. Have not messed with it much but it looks like it will be ok in low light but not very good in pitch black.

I have a ATV gen 1 rifle scope with the IR thing on top for when it is pitch black..and your right when it is pitch black you can not see that good but the IR helps a lot! I can see in a clearing around 50-75 yards..but when the moon is out man you can see a lot better and farther it helps brighten it up so much more.. but for my land in the hills in WV my longest shot might be 100-150 at most..plus I can't use my AR-223 at night so I have a 22mag because i can't use center fire at night...
frown.gif

you can spend $400 like me or $4,000+ my friend has the thermal imaging that venatic was talking about and I agree they are amazing but my wallet can not afford it lol but I think its where you live and how long of shots your going to take and how much $$$$ you want to spend.

I just got my Luna LN-PRS40 riflescope in the other day and with the added Extended range Laser IR, this scope/Laser combo is as good as it gets for anything under $2500 (but it cost less than half that)! No fishbowl effect, no fisheyes, just a nice picture that is very bright out to 300+ yards and well-well beyond. To answer your question if it works well, absolutely! I wish you were near to stop over and check it out, i can't speak highly enough about Luna's image quality, you would have a hard time trying to convince me to spend a penny more for Gen 3 for hunting varmints when i can get the job done with my Gen 1. If you are running some high dollar professional guiding service maybe or some sort of sniper, but for hunting there is a affordable scope that will do a excellent job for you and will be worth every penny!

There is night vision and then there is NIGHT VISION. I won't waste your time telling you that Gen1 stuff is any good. It isn't. There are no "ifs, ands, or buts" about it. It just isn't worth it. The bottom line is that the money wasted on Gen1 could have been better used on ammo or putting it towards a decent or awesome unit. The problem with night vision is that there is a ton of crap out there and buyers see stuff at big box stores or in magazine ads and think it's great.

Unfortunately, good night vision isn't cheap. We can say it until we are blue in the face. But, time and again, guys buy cheap stuff. I can't tell you guys how many times I've talked to customers who bought cheap Gen1 stuff because it was "all they afford" at the time. They realized it sucked after seeing real night vision. Unfortunately, they also realized that they couldn't sell the one they bought and they ended up with being out the money they could have put towards the real deal and ended up being set back. Honestly, if you can only spend "x" right now, you have 2 good options. 1. you should save more and end up getting something that will last and perform. 2. if you have to spend right now, buy ammo instead.

Gen3 Night vision is really where you should aspire to because of its excellent image quality, long tube life, incredible light-gathering ability, etc. When you set Gen3 next to anything else, it is immediately apparent why it is superior. Our Gen3 D740 and D760 scopes are capable of identifying targets out to a 1000 yards. You can engage them out to 600 yards (longer if you are a good shot
smile.gif
But, I realize there are a lot of guys out there that just can't swing the Gen3 price right now. Well, there is an answer. Gen2 is still very respectable. The differences you will notice are a drop in edge-to-edge clarity (the outer edge - zone 4- will be slightly fuzzy. Gen2 is not as bright as Gen3 because of its decrease in light gathering capability. And, it has half the lifespan of Gen3 (5000 hours instead of 10,000).

Not all Gen2 is created equal, though. Gen2SHP (Super High Performance) is as close to Gen3 as you will get without paying the Gen3 price. It is a very respectable tube and a great value for the price tag.

Our core business is night vision. We have seen it all and thoroughly test everything we sell. Our clients range from DOD to hunters. Bottom line is that we have made the mistakes in the past and do everything we can to pass our acquired knowledge onto our customers. If it's good kit, we sell it.

Anytime your in the NE Wi area, feel free to stop on by and i'll show you some great Gen 1 stuff and your welcome to bring your Gen 2 stuff along, i think if we get a few customers together i feel confident which one they will buy and be very happy with- of course we will tell them the prices though. That said, obviously Gen 3 is better, if someone offered you a new corvette or a civic for the same price which one you going to take- yes vette 100% of the time. Now if your given the choice to walk or buy the civic that you can afford, your telling us to walk until you can afford the corvette? Alot of happy Honda drivers out there! I have a hard time justifing over a $1000 on night vision personally, especially since i can shoot targets to 300 yards and recongize targets beyond 600 yards with my scope setup- yes in complete darkness. With the economy the way it is and the quality of some Gen 1 stuff, i don't even bother stocking the Gen 2+ stuff (but can get it anytime), just not worth it unless someone has disposable income or your someone who can make money with it as part of a business/job. Oh and with tube life at 2500 hours on Gen 1, even if you got half that, that's 2500 coyote sits which i will never ever be able to do in my lifetime.

I've had clients bring Gen1, Gen3, and thermal vision scopes on hunts. I got a chance to look through and actually shoot through all three.

It's really a case of buy what you can afford. If money wasn't an object, I'd purchase a thermal vision scope in a heartbeat. But reality is, most coyote hunters are blue collar working guys, or in my case, camo collar working guy. Set yourself a budget that you can live with, buy the best within your budget and go hunting. Night vision definitely turns on a whole new element to night calling.

Tony

You ever notice the guys that sell the high end stuff always come out attacking other product's? I WONDER WHY THAT IS? Does it have to do with there price's or are they trying to sell you something you don't need in the practical world? Very weird....Almost like the (small private part's) i have the nicest car theory? Like Tony and Troy said buy what you can afford and be happy.. And by no means listen to guy's who sell Gen3 stuff that tell you all Gen1 stuff is the same.. They are blowing smoke up your behind so they can make the (1000+) dollar commission off you. When they sell you the Gen3 LMAO...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Chip556There is night vision and then there is NIGHT VISION. I won't waste your time telling you that Gen1 stuff is any good. It isn't. There are no "ifs, ands, or buts" about it. It just isn't worth it. The bottom line is that the money wasted on Gen1 could have been better used on ammo or putting it towards a decent or awesome unit. The problem with night vision is that there is a ton of crap out there and buyers see stuff at big box stores or in magazine ads and think it's great.

Unfortunately, good night vision isn't cheap. We can say it until we are blue in the face. But, time and again, guys buy cheap stuff. I can't tell you guys how many times I've talked to customers who bought cheap Gen1 stuff because it was "all they afford" at the time. They realized it sucked after seeing real night vision. Unfortunately, they also realized that they couldn't sell the one they bought and they ended up with being out the money they could have put towards the real deal and ended up being set back. Honestly, if you can only spend "x" right now, you have 2 good options. 1. you should save more and end up getting something that will last and perform. 2. if you have to spend right now, buy ammo instead.

Gen3 Night vision is really where you should aspire to because of its excellent image quality, long tube life, incredible light-gathering ability, etc. When you set Gen3 next to anything else, it is immediately apparent why it is superior. Our Gen3 D740 and D760 scopes are capable of identifying targets out to a 1000 yards. You can engage them out to 600 yards (longer if you are a good shot
smile.gif
But, I realize there are a lot of guys out there that just can't swing the Gen3 price right now. Well, there is an answer. Gen2 is still very respectable. The differences you will notice are a drop in edge-to-edge clarity (the outer edge - zone 4- will be slightly fuzzy. Gen2 is not as bright as Gen3 because of its decrease in light gathering capability. And, it has half the lifespan of Gen3 (5000 hours instead of 10,000).

Not all Gen2 is created equal, though. Gen2SHP (Super High Performance) is as close to Gen3 as you will get without paying the Gen3 price. It is a very respectable tube and a great value for the price tag.

Our core business is night vision. We have seen it all and thoroughly test everything we sell. Our clients range from DOD to hunters. Bottom line is that we have made the mistakes in the past and do everything we can to pass our acquired knowledge onto our customers. If it's good kit, we sell it.

amen + 1111111111111111111111111.there is nothing that comes close to good gen 3.

Originally Posted By: Chip556 If it's good kit, we sell it. Thanks for weighing in. It's fairly obvious that some people know very little about your company's products, clients, and commitment to excellence.
Of course, that's probably because your products aren't sold at WalMarts in Ohio.
lol.gif

Hey BlindHuntersSupply what brand are you using and where did you buy yours and whats the price range? One reason I dont own a nightvision or thermal scope because of the price ranges and plus never used one or dont know anybody that does around here...

Originally Posted By: jim87formulaHey BlindHuntersSupply what brand are you using and where did you buy yours and whats the price range? One reason I dont own a nightvision or thermal scope because of the price ranges and plus never used one or dont know anybody that does around here...

Well personally i have a LN-PRS40 4X Gen 1 scope with extended laser on it and it does the job very nice. I also have the LN-EMG1 Gen 2+ monocular that also attaches to the back of a daytime scope. I prefer the Gen 1 scope personally based on a price point as i have a hard time justifying $1000+ on anything else since my Gen 1 Luna works just fine! If money were no object i would use the Gen 2+ we offer as it is better of course, but since i'm on a middle class income with a family, it doesn't fit into my hunting budget. I have no problem recommending Gen 2+ optics other than you better be able to get a small loan for it, even at our reduced prices for top quality, it gets very costly! Luna doesn't let anyone behind that isn't wealthy and makes great Gen 1 optics, but you will pay more for them than Yukon or ATN's Gen 1 stuff, but it's worth a few extra bucks- not thousands.

Oh, as for price you would be well off with either the Premium LN-PRS40 with a Extended IR for $850 or the same scope with the Extended laser for $1050, i can get you these if your interested, just pm me. Premium Gen 2+ monocular that attaches to a dayscope (and comes with a headmask system) are $2800, so you can see how much the price jumps up!

BlindHuntersSupply, can you see the rack on a buck at under 100yds with Gen1? If so, how well? Can you see the frame, or even better count pts? I ask because we have depredation permits for the crops here in the summer, and I prefer not to shoot the big bucks while in velvet if I can help it. I'm interested in the monocular, or binocular models. If Gen1 is not enough for the 100yd range, what is?

If someone else has experience with this please reply.
Thanks.

100 yards is nothing to see the rack, not saying your going to count smaller points but the main frame and large tines will not be problem. If it means anything at 100 yards away i can see the lines in the neighbors siding, brickwork on his house, raised panels in his garage doors so it is pretty well defined. Also i just got new pricing on Gen 2+ stuff and the monocular i priced above is now $2300, still not cheap but much more reasonable! I haven't got to look at a deer with horns on it yet personally, but i would imagine the Gen1 stuff with the laser light would let you see the main beams/points out to several hundred yards.

Yeah I would be interested in the one that attaches to a dayscope but why such a raise in price from the scope? Plus here in Iowa we cant use any artifical light, so lasers are out of the question... Hows the Gen1 that goes on your dayscope? And price and brand? I know the Gen1 "NightOwl" spotting scopes are junk, the ones that Wal-Mart sales, I just dont wanna get junk and I sure dont wanna get ripped of either for nightvision...

Back