Is #2 Magnum Shot too small for coyotes?

johral

I can't find anything bigger for reloading in my area - what do you think?

Should I just order some copper plated BB's or #4 buck and eat the freight?

Yes, order the lead copper coated BB's or the number 4 buck.

If you are ordering shot to reload for coyotes Ballistic Products has lead BBB and lead T shot that works great on coyotes. The BBB and T shot have quite a few more pellets in each shell than number 4 buck shot has.

Yes ballistic products has about any size you can imagine. You can get many of them in nickel plated as well. They also carry buffering to help keep your pattern with lead better and have a special manuel for coyote shotgun loads. Tom roster also has a good manuel for buffering shot which you can use lead shot in. You can find his manuel and 25 pound bags of non-plated lead shot by remington on precision reloadings web page. Think they have 25 lbs at around 57 dollars and the stuff at ballistic products is 42 dollars for 10 pounds but it is of a bit higher quality. Both have patterned ok for me with buffering in some of my loads but I have only tested about 12 different loads so far only using 3.5 mag and 60 yards.

Too small! I've watched several coyotes and foxes run off with no visible damage after shots from 30-40 yards with #2 shot and even T shot. There's a reason #4 is so popular, it works.

Shooting 2+3/4" 12 Gauge 0000BK, and the shells say 27 pellets per load. I thought they said that 00BK had 9 pellets per load?
Chann

It Might be too small but it still gets the job done! Ive put down numerous yotes and a couple bobcats with Federal 3" #2 Buck Mags (18 pellets) for my 20ga. Granted... only a few were 1 shot kills but come on, its a 20!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: yotecatslayer34It Might be too small but it still gets the job done! Ive put down numerous yotes and a couple bobcats with Federal 3" #2 Buck Mags (18 pellets) for my 20ga. Granted... only a few were 1 shot kills but come on, its a 20! I'll take what I can get.

#2 'Buck Mags?', as in # 2 buckshot is not the same as #2 bird shot. I believe that is what he is asking for.

Johral~ I like #4 buck. If you are looking at #2 bird shot, magnum loads or not, I wouldn't trust it for yotes. The #2 buck would be fine.

Are you shooting a 12 gauge, or....?

Originally Posted By: satchel357where you at in washington? i may be able to direct you to places that carry BB and #4 buckshot

Spokane....

Originally Posted By: ChannShooting 2+3/4" 12 Gauge 0000BK, and the shells say 27 pellets per load. I thought they said that 00BK had 9 pellets per load?
Chann

That is #4 buck, not 0000 buck (which I have never heard of). #4 is 0.24 dia.

Originally Posted By: johralOriginally Posted By: ChannShooting 2+3/4" 12 Gauge 0000BK, and the shells say 27 pellets per load. I thought they said that 00BK had 9 pellets per load?
Chann

That is #4 buck, not 0000 buck (which I have never heard of). #4 is 0.24 dia.

Here is a buckshot chart for ya...

0000 ("quadruple-ought") .38" caliber 5 pellets per ounce
000 ("triple-ought") .36" caliber 6 pellets per ounce
00 ("double-ought") .33" caliber 8 pellets per ounce
0 ("ought") .32" caliber 9 pellets per ounce
1 .30" cal. 10 per...
2 .27" cal. 15 per...
3 .25" cal. 18 per...
4 .24" cal. 21 pellets per ounce.

well if you were in the tricites i could help. i ordered some winchester lead BB from cabelas and shipping wasent to bad plus there on sale for like 15 bucks a box

Back