A good week in the S. Tx. brush country

hm1996

Staff member
After three weeks recuperating from first a torn leg muscle, then a bout with the flu, finally made it back to the ranch just in time for the last week of nilgai hunting. Connected with this cow Tuesday evening so able to spend rest of week catching up on our coyote hunting.

IMG_3355.jpg

The ranch has had an abnormal amount of rain so many of our favorite honey holes are partially or completely submerged. Wednesday morning daylight found us setting up over a lake that is normally dry. Foxpro was set up at the point of brush to the right (black circle). Six minutes into adult cottontail with one short coyote pup distress inserted at the two minute mark, a mature male ran (red dots) from left to right across the lake, following the two track until he disappeared behind the point of brush. Figured he would come into view very close to the decoy/FX5, I shifted rifle and planned to bark as soon as he emerged. Caught a movement farther out and discovered that he had reversed direction (blue dots). Managed to bark and stop him at 168 yards (blue cross). While not quite as flat shooting as my .223, the 338 WM and 210 gr. NP is quite effective, if not fur friendly.

IMG_3487-1.jpg

And this hawk didn't seem to mind that the fur was a bit mussed:

IMG_3478.jpg

On the way to another favorite spot, walked out into this dry lake bed and spotted a coyote about 600 yards at edge of brush on opposite side.

IMG_3484.jpg

We quickly set up the FX5 and started calling. Within 3 minutes a young male met a 165 gr. NP from my partners 308 Norma mag., making two on the stringer.

IMG_3467.jpg

Made a few dry stands before and after lunch leading up to the last stand which produced coyote #3 for the day, a young female, also no match for the 338.

Thursday morning we eased into the heavy brush surrounding a shallow swampy area. Before I could set up the call, I spotted a coyote about 100 yards out walking to the left through this brush but was unable to stop it for the shot.

IMG_3480.jpg

At the same time, my partner saw three coyotes trotting into the brush to his right. We had walked into the mother lode! Must have struck the interest of one of the dogs on the right when I barked at first coyote, as it slipped up to within 40 yards of my partner, who made short work of that project.

Made a couple of dry stands this morning and my partner missed a coyote that he walked up on before we decided to end the week at the same spot where we made the first stand. Due to flooding and wind direction, had to set up same as in picture one. This time, a somewhat nervous coyote followed same path, but stopped straight behind the call (almost exact same spot as previous dog). I got on him and was just starting to squeeze the trigger when a duck hunter about a mile away on the next ranch fired two quick shots. At the first shot, the coyote flinched and the second shot he bolted before I could get the shot off. Hey, I can educate more coyotes than I care to without any outside help
cry.gif
! Oh well, all in all, it was a great week.

Regards,
hm

HOM%20-%20Banner.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: venatic338WM huh... I guess you drop back down to the 300WM for PD's
lol.gif

Good pictures and story!

This trip was to have been primarily to fill out on my nilgai quota, thus the .338. The .338 is not my usual choice coyote dispatcher, but it does so with great authority
laugh.gif

Quote:catman2: You sure thats a hawk? Looks like an eagle to me.

No, it is a Harris Hawk. This one was really reluctant to leave his lunch and let me approach within 15-20'.

Harris Hawk Photos

Regards,
hm

Yep Harris Hawk. When I am down calling in the Uvalde area they come to the call quite often. I have had as many as four sitting looking for the prey that's making the noise.

Wonder if the Harris hawks do any migrating? We always have quite a few, but seems like there were more of them around this past week than usual. Was taking picture of this harris hawk eyeballing my decoy when I discovered the coyote staring in direction of the setup Friday morning.

IMG_3489.jpg

Seems like we have a lot more cara cara down here than hawks normally.

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: venaticYep Harris Hawk. When I am down calling in the Uvalde area they come to the call quite often. I have had as many as four sitting looking for the prey that's making the noise.
What types of calls do you have the most success with in the Uvalde area?

That Nilgai hunting is fun also.. Got to go to the King Ranch 4-5 yrs in a row in the late 90's hunting them. I liked the spot a stalk hunting we did for them. Lot's of wildlife on that big ranch.

Well this weekend I used cottontail and it worked fine as well as pup distress.Called soem raccoons with raccoon distress as well.

Back